Talk

Advanced search

Hyde Park Winter Wonderland

(7 Posts)
thehouseofmirth Wed 30-Sep-09 21:15:43

Wondering whether to take DS (4.5) along to this and wondered if anyone had been last year and what it was like?

PrioryParkChick Thu 01-Oct-09 10:10:20

Hi - I went the year before last. It is pretty in the early evening as all the lights come on. There isn't all that much there, a nice little Christmas market (pretty much same stuff as you get almost anywhere at Christmas though!; very busy ice-rink and a few rides.
It is quite expensive - can't remember exact costs but remember thinking that I wouldn't pay that much to go on the big wheel etc. Would probably be a nice start or finish to going to the oxford/regent street area to see the christmas lights though!

ChopsTheDuck Thu 01-Oct-09 10:16:29

I really didn't think very much of it at all. Everything was very expensive, and it was crowded and hard to get somewhere to sit to eat or anything. I was expecting more of the market which was very limited. It seemed like a hyped up, overpriced fairground more than anything. I'm not sure it would be great for a 4 year old at all.

nancy75 Thu 01-Oct-09 10:19:25

took dd last year (she was 3.5 at the time) she was too small to really go on anything and it was freezing - there was nowhere to go to get out of the cold. i wont go again this year.
there is a xmas market/santa thing on at the south bank this year, that looks better and there are places there to get out of the cold/get proper food.
www.viewlondon.co.uk/whatson/santas-secret-village-london-article-7408.html

ApplesinmyPocket Thu 01-Oct-09 10:20:23

I went last year with my two (grown-up) DDs and we did enjoy it, I must say - the Big Wheel was very nice (not as good as the Eye, obviously) and it somehow all felt very Christmassy on a cold and frost December afternoon as dusk was closing in.

However, I don't think it had a lot to offer a 4-year old. Drop in if you were passing, perhaps - he would probably enjoy watching the skaters - for 5 minutes! - and beg you for something from the Market (quite pretty, done in little Chalets) but not worth making a special effort to go.

Doyouthinktheysaurus Fri 02-Oct-09 05:22:33

I thought it was rubbish when we went last year TBH. It was really busy, the rides cost a fortune and it was all a bit shabby around the edges.

Our ds's were 4 and 6 at the time. We aren't bothering this year.

thehouseofmirth Fri 02-Oct-09 07:11:28

Well, that's pretty conclusive, thanks! Think we might try to Southbank thing instead.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now