Talk

Advanced search

Christmas at home, yay!

(20 Posts)
TrillianAstra Sun 27-Sep-09 14:52:04

DP on the phone to MIL yesterday, tells her that he's not going back there for Christmas. She asks if we are going to my parents. Nope, we are staying at home.

It will be fantastic. We will sleep in our own nice bed and have bucks fizz for breakfast and eat lovely things and probably drink all day and not have to deal with any fighty family people and watch Dr Who without needing to wrestle the remote off anyone.

Salsavita Sun 27-Sep-09 15:07:40

You must be feeling soooo relieved. Jim jams till lunchtime... hey actually, you don't have to even get out of bed till lunchtime!

mmrsceptic Sun 27-Sep-09 15:14:41

That will be fantastic! You can make your own traditions, and go for a walk without everyone having to agree, and open your presents when you want, and get sweaty in the kitchen, and leave the washing up.. brilliant decision!

HeadFairy Sun 27-Sep-09 15:17:19

Sounds heavenly... my ILs live abroad so I don't normally get any pressure from them to come and see them as they understand how expensive it is at Christmas... however, we're always expected at my mum and dad's but this year we've moved so we'll only be ten mins away, which means we can go to theirs and only leave at midday, fill our faces then only have a ten min drive to get back to ours so we can crash on the sofa if we feel we need an escape... so nice considering dd is due on Christmas day. I'd hate to have to do at least an hour each way in the car to go for lunch on my due date!

deaddei Sun 27-Sep-09 16:54:34

Join the club trillian- we have done it for 13 years and wouldn't do anything else.
I am not a big fan of Xmas in the sense I hate all the pressure etc, but we have a nice day in our own quiet way, Always so to good friends (5 mins away) for drinks 12-2- then stagger back to have a totally non-Xmas meal.
Enjoy your day!!!

EldonAve Sun 27-Sep-09 17:29:00

We are going to be home for the first time ever
Although this means we are actually hosting shock
Thankfully my mom has said she will cook

TrillianAstra Sun 27-Sep-09 19:17:52

Christmas Day is your due date HeadFairy?!

Northernlurker Sun 27-Sep-09 19:31:26

It is our 12th wedding anniversary today and we are staying at home this year for only the second time ever. The last time was because I was 8 months pregnant and didn't want to birth in a layby on the A1. This time is just because we want to and I am really looking forward to it.

I will be cooking my own dinner and we will be attending our own church and the kids we will be opening their presents in our house grin I always enjoy going to in laws or my parents but just to be home once feels like such a luxury. I am hoping my parents and other relatives will come up for the day though and I'll enjoy that as well. Oh the joy of not having to pack all the presents in the car, a Christmas without a roofbox packing arguement - oooooooh! grin

The farmshop are rearing turkeys and I was eyeing them up yesterday. Bit grim to see your Christmas dinner walking around the paddock - but strangely satisfying nevertheless!

HeadFairy Sun 27-Sep-09 19:55:00

It is Trillian! I would love to have everyone over for Christmas the first year in our new home but I think I've got the best excuse for dodging this year

Rhian82 Sun 27-Sep-09 20:19:01

I'm so jealous. I've tried to argue for it but apparently I'm depriving our parents of seeing their grandson on Christmas Day

HeadFairy Sun 27-Sep-09 20:23:18

Would everyone prefer to have the family over to theirs, do all the cooking, but know you can fall in to your own bed at night without having to drive home? I've always felt if I had to see anyone on Christmas day, then it would be preferable to be in my own home, even if it meant cooking for everyone. At what age to parents stop expecting us to come to them, and start accepting invitations to come to our houses for Christmas?

chocolateshoes Sun 27-Sep-09 20:35:53

First time for us here too. We moved house in jan so want Christmas in my own place for once. Love the thought of no driving, DS waking up in his own bed, and starting our own traditions. Not sure what to do with cooking though....am veggie & DH hates turkey. However to my Mum, dad, Graddad & sister turkey is part of Christmas. I couldn't cook it (don't know how!) but am hoping my Mum will take charge of that and me & DH will have something different.
ohhh love the idea of Bucks Fizz for breks!

deaddei Sun 27-Sep-09 20:36:44

Well my parents are both dead sad so that solves one problem. However inlaws are very much live and kicking but we only see them twice ayear for about 3 hours- it's all we can take. We nip down on Boxing Day, but again only for half a day.
I think in your own house- your rules, kids happy- ok more work for you, but keep it simple. Delegate, accept help and get pissed by 1pm.
There you are- you don't have to buy any Xmas editions of Good Housekeeping now- they are the 3 key things.

HeadFairy Sun 27-Sep-09 20:43:33

deaddei

But I'm particularly fond of your third rule... can I apply it to this Christmas? Will it speed up dd's arrival (can't face thought of cs on 2nd Jan - it's already booked in so need a good plan to get her out before then!)

deaddei Sun 27-Sep-09 20:47:08

Well I think raspberry tea for you....but I will raise a glass of bubbly to you!
(have one yourself!)

HeadFairy Sun 27-Sep-09 21:04:47

My mum reliably informs me when you go in to labour in France and you speak to your midwife, the first thing they tell you to do is have a glass of champagne and relax... (that was 40 years ago though!) sounds like a plan to me

kickassmama Mon 28-Sep-09 14:29:23

We have xmas at home and have my parents and dh parents for dinner have done since ds was born(5 years ago).I can't wait i'm getting exicited already,will be making my xmas cake on sunday

halfdozen Tue 29-Sep-09 22:01:31

The only trouble with having christmas on your own is you might not want to go back - last year we had christmas day on our own for the first time. We have been together 14 years and ds1 was 10, we all loved it so much that we're doing the same again much to grandparents dismay. Enjoy it!

Ingles2 Tue 29-Sep-09 22:08:53

Am very jealous...
am seriously considering rocking the boat this year, infact I sounded the boys out on this very topic tonight.
my parents and in laws come to us every year and have done for the last 10!
This year has been dreadful financially, we've had no money, no holiday, I worked throughout the summer and spent no time with the boys and I am just not in the mood to start running around for anyone other than dh and my dc this Xmas.
I feel guilty just thinking this, in laws are 85, and not in the best of health. It will be laid on thick that I'm depriving them of their last xmas with the grandkids... Mind you they've been saying that for the last 10 years as well

lavenderkate Tue 29-Sep-09 22:11:43

Hurray for you Trillion.

I have invented the 3 year rule and now insist on it .

year 1 inlaws
year 2 my family
year 3 noone but us (fantastic year)

squares upto Mil -I am all powerful mwah ha ha envy

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now