Talk

Advanced search

Handheld game console Vtech and Leapfrog confusion

(9 Posts)
MrsThePoint Sat 26-Sep-09 16:05:18

Have looked up previous threads, but they seem a little dated.

I was wondering if the choice is between the Vtech and Leapfrog? If so, what is the portable handheld version of each? Oh I am so new to this. I preferred it when DS was happy with balloons and cardboard boxes!

And which is best (value for money, sturdiness, availability of game cartridges etc.)

Thanks again MNers

OldLadyKnowsNothing Sat 26-Sep-09 18:25:12

I wouldn't bother with either of them tbh, children generally don't. (IME)

How old is your dc?

PlumBumMum Sat 26-Sep-09 18:30:23

ds got Vsmile cyber pocket last year, but is getting nintendo ds this year,
We also have a Vsmile console thing and have found both seem to switch off on their own sometimes or are hard to get on, some other people have said the same,
I would hold off and get a Ds when he is old enough,
I'm sorry we didn't just get DS a ds last year, but we had made such a thing that dd1 had to wait until she was old enough to understand that it an expensive item and you don't get much else

MrsThePoint Sun 27-Sep-09 09:47:09

Thanks guys - DS is 3 and a half. Any other ideas then?

OldLadyKnowsNothing Tue 29-Sep-09 01:54:36

Large cardboard box, some paints and a bit of creativity.

Really, don't bother with the electronic crap just yet, dc that age much prefer real humans, or cars, or plastic farmyard animals... things that he can use with his imagination.

MrsThePoint Wed 30-Sep-09 23:35:43

LOL - my DS doesn't even need the paint, has been playing with a large box for two weeks now, we made it into a plane by cutting the flaps into triangles for 'wings' and he loves it!

However, he already has cars, animals, trains, dolls, dress-up and heaps of other stuff. The grandparents seem to have money to burn and spend it on toys (even though boring clothes and food would be more appricated) so I would rather they buy one more expensive item over heaps of stuff that I have to find a home for,IYSWIM! Personally, I don't have that kind of money to waste on tech rubbish that he will only use once or twice, but hey-ho!

I don't mean to sound ungrateful, I do know they love him.

floatyjosmum Wed 30-Sep-09 23:50:37

dd is 4 and has a vsmile console and a handheld leapfrog thing.
she hardly plays on the v smile - bought it for ds when he was smaller and he did.
she loves the handheld thing and calls it her ds - DS has got a dslite and she likes to be a grown up,. We got it half price in toys r us and they seem to have them reduced quite a lot

MrsThePoint Fri 02-Oct-09 20:18:58

So, V.Smile Cyber Pocket £49.99
vs.
Leapfrog Leapster2 £39.99 new

??

ramonaquimby Sat 17-Oct-09 19:45:19

i don't think a 3 year old needs a handheld console, ssave the money for a ds when he's a bit older.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now