Talk

Advanced search

Difficulty shopping, even on the internet - help!

(8 Posts)
BakuMum Thu 24-Sep-09 08:53:00

OK, I need help finding Christmas gift ideas for my boys. I have DS aged 9 and DS2 aged 2. We are living overseas but are not the kind of expats that get paid trips to go shopping in the UK every month. Myself and DP work full time.
Internet shopping sometimes works OK, we can get some stuff sent to us but it costs a small fortune in postage and usually I have to get it sent to my Mum's house in Yorkshire and she then sends it on.
The other problem, especially for DS1 is that he's never lived in the UK, doesn't know about things like toy shops, sees no adverts, and so has no idea what he wants. Bliss in many ways, but in others it makes it very diffciult for me - I am sick of buying him books and DS games.
I am travelling to the UK on a work trip and will have about ten hours to shop in central London.
What can I get the boys for Christmas in that time, which is small enough to pack in my case and will still be received without polite tight lipped smiles and a slightly 'orphan Annie' thank you?
All suggestions gratefully received!

YouCantTeuchThis Thu 24-Sep-09 08:58:47

would it make sense to do an order that you can collect in-store, then take to the PO and send yourself, at a lower rate? You will then save on delivery costs (as only one delivery) and can send it surface or something, if you have time.

Indeed bliss to have no exposure to ads and brands - means you can go back to basics, perhaps? I'll have a think...

BakuMum Fri 25-Sep-09 07:35:53

Post doesn't always work so well out here, as stuff often gets stolen. My sister tried to send me a large block of Green and Black's chocolate and the postal rate was over 50GBP!! We also have to pay on receipt, by weight (what a rip off - welcome to the world of former-Communism!) so it's often double the intial buying price if not more. Thanks for thinking, though. smile

Buda Fri 25-Sep-09 07:53:08

Am intrigued as to where you live now!

I am in Budapest so know how you feel although due to frequent trips home and Sky TV, my DS (8) knows most of what is out there.

Is your DS into football? Mine is so loves football kit (yuck but he loves it) and anything related to football. His latest obsession is WWE Wrestling so anything to do with that goes down well.

He is just starting to get into music so wants an iPod so will prob get one for Xmas.

Board games? We love Uno so I might get him Uno Extreme and I also want to get him a game I played years ago with a friend's DS - it is called Trionimoes. I think he will like it.

Lego? DS loves it. And it is not heavy to carry as well!

ramonaquimby Fri 25-Sep-09 14:19:07

was also going to suggest Lego, or playmobil for the boys. any maybe look online to see what you'd like to get so you can be v efficient when you are shopping

dont' have boys so no idea what (esp) a 9 year old would be into. good luck tho!

reban Sat 26-Sep-09 09:28:45

what about something active like a fold down scooter. It might be heavy but will be small enough to fit in hand luggage (its been so long since i have been on a plane i dont know if they weigh hand luggage now blush ) or i have even seen fold away bikes ... again not sure if it would fit in a case but i think they are designed for easy transportation.
lego always great or dressing up outfits which dont reflect tv/films, like policeman/fireman etc for the little one

DoNotPressTheRedButton Sat 26-Sep-09 09:56:05

I have nine yera old boys (well one almost ten and one al most nine) and the big things for Christmas are computer games (as ever), these things and apparently spikee robots are stillg ood,which come in a mini size so maybe the bandai thing and spikee could be crammed in?The Bandai'scan be played together.

other thing they love is top trumps

twolittledarlings Sat 26-Sep-09 15:45:05

At the moment, all the kids at my dd school loves Pokemon, even my dd 7 and dd5. You could get him some Pokemon cards and also a Pokemon Tin as a small present. Other than this, I don't know what boys aged 9 likes.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now