Advertisement

loader

Talk

Advanced search

i am doing xmas on the tightest budget ever this year... how can i get the most from this present idea?

(9 Posts)
juicychops Thu 03-Sep-09 17:35:28

my idea is to write to bands, football clubs and actors to request signed photographs which i will then frame and give as presents. i think this would be a nice personal/ lots of thought put into it present for family and close friends and will only cost the price of the stamp. obviously the actor, footie club, band i pick for each person will be because that person has a particular interest in that person

what do you think of this idea?

what do you think my success rate is of getting many signed photos?

and what should i write in my letters to get maximum results? shall i write that im poor and cant afford proper presents!?

im starting now so there is plenty of time to write

LaurieFairyCake Thu 03-Sep-09 17:38:19

As far as I know lots don't do it.

There are loads for £0.01p on ebay though grin

ThePhantomPlopper Fri 04-Sep-09 15:27:24

I'm not sure about bands, but I've had signed photos from Bradford City, Leeds UTD and Oxford UTD.

I would write that you are getting married in 2 weeks and your DH loves said team/band/actor so much and it would make his day to receive a signed photo. That's what I did. Oxford UTD even sent me a signed shirt and football, we really were getting married though.

moondog Fri 04-Sep-09 15:29:50

What's wrong with just saying you can't afford to give?

I for one would be delighted if people stopped giving me crap.

Or..make something. It means a lot more.

shinyshoes Fri 04-Sep-09 15:34:59

what moondog says.

Anyone getting the hump with this has lost the true meaning of chistmas AFAIC

Dophus Fri 04-Sep-09 15:35:14

Must say - nice idea if you appreciate that sort of thing. For me a signed photo of even someone I respected highly would mean nothing.

I have taken up jewellry making and giving out necklaces to friends. Very cheap once you have the basic kit and really appreciated.

Not much help for men thoguh

moondog Fri 04-Sep-09 15:37:31

Jar of marmalade
Some biscuits
Even little plants in tiny earthenware pots.

We all have too much crap and clutter.Who wants more???

ZippysMum Fri 04-Sep-09 15:42:55

About 5 years ago, my whole family just decided enough was enough with the whole present thing.

We are a very close family, have lots of time for each other and just felt that the whole Christmas thing had got out of hand.

Some of us donate to charity instead (like Oxfam Unwrapped or something) - just one donation for everyone.

Now (5 years on), we have children in the family - the rule is pressies for children only, not adults. We ask the parents what the children want/need. Christmas is fab and focused on family having fun together and not on presents.

It really takes the pressure off, and means we don't end up with all that stuff nobody really wants or they would have bought it themselves.

Dophus Mon 07-Sep-09 10:30:26

We also do presents for children only (apart from me and my Mum)

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now