Talk

Advanced search

Fully expecting to get drummed off MN for this, but Christmas 09

(62 Posts)
RubyRioja Mon 05-Jan-09 14:01:32

Trying to take the pressure off a bit, does anyone want to join me in any of the following?

opening an isa and making a small monthly payment by direct debit
popping any pound coins that you can spare into a piggy bank/jar
saving any 20p in your possession in a pot
investigating any credit unions in your area

I know lots of places do vouchers/stamps etc, but this way the money actually stays in your control and hopefully will not go up in smoke farepak stylee.

What do you think?

NAB3lovelychildren Mon 05-Jan-09 14:02:02

I will
and thanks for making me smile

TheDevilWearsPrimark Mon 05-Jan-09 14:03:10

I had already thought about this too, I'm expecting this year to be tough, thank god I had one last blow out festive period.

georgimama Mon 05-Jan-09 14:05:59

It's a good idea RR. I'm going to start putting some money each month in my ISA (which is empty). Even if I only save a hundred quid by the beginning of December, that's still quite a few of the presents paid for (especially as DB and SIL and we are no longer buying each other presents, apparently - and they told me about this on Christmas Eve hmm ).

RubyRioja Mon 05-Jan-09 14:07:37

oh cheeky
Did you have the nerve to say OK I'll return yours for a refund

FAQtothefuture Mon 05-Jan-09 14:07:44

I already have a pot (well it's a "Best of British" London Bus actually grin) that I chuck anything less than 50p into. Only started doing the 20ps in the summer, but saved nearly £100 last year shock!

sherby Mon 05-Jan-09 14:10:48

I buy the Tesco stamps, save £100 over the year is really easy and then we have the xmas food shop covered, i've already saved £11 since xmas

Fimbo Mon 05-Jan-09 14:14:27

Buy one or two Christmas presents a month between now and December 09

RubyRioja Mon 05-Jan-09 14:15:11

Trouble is Fimbo, I lose the buggers and don't really have much storage space. Money I can keep track of!

Fimbo Mon 05-Jan-09 14:17:23

Fair point. Actually I have done this in the past and then discovered dusty boxes on the 26th.

mrshammond Mon 05-Jan-09 14:20:52

I have bagged a spare money box from one of the DCs which is a sealed tin. You need a can opener to get in to it and once you open it, you can't re-use it.

Am hoping this will stop me from tapping in to it over the year. Am putting pound coins, 50ps and 20ps in. DD has made a big label for it so we all remember it's for xmas.

lumpsdumps Mon 05-Jan-09 16:46:50

I have set up a savings thing with Park and also got a few christmas presents arriving tomorrow!

cikecaka Mon 05-Jan-09 16:51:08

I started this afternoon by buying saving stamps in my local butchers, thought it would be handy for easter and special occasions

georgimama Mon 05-Jan-09 16:53:20

Is Park one of those Christmas club type things? I would be skeptical of those at the mo, with what happened last Christmas (I mean 2007). In a piggy bank or the post office would be safer....

nannyL Mon 05-Jan-09 19:28:54

I DID this last year smile and will continue doing it

as soon as im paid i transfer £ into random accounts... have loads... car tax / car ins / car mintance / Xmas /& holidays etc so that i when the time comes round ive already got the money for it.

blossomsmine Mon 05-Jan-09 23:59:37

I have started too. I buy tesco stamps, started straight after christmassmile I also have a put that i save all coins in, coppers and pound coins etc., The only problem is keeping it going....

simpson Tue 06-Jan-09 18:15:05

I am lucky enough to have a loft to store stuff in and I hit the woolies sale before they closed and got loads for the Dcs next Christmas.

I also have a cardboard box in loft which is for random kids (ie DS's class mates) when there are birthday parties etc so I have some toys to hand. I just add to it when I see a real bargain ie plastic cricket set on sale (in winter) from £8 to £1.50 grin

Going to get a big money box to put small coins in. I like the idea of the one that needs a tin opener to open it grin so I don't get tempted....

dancingqueeen Wed 07-Jan-09 00:13:13

yes I will join you in this. I started doing it a couple of years ago, have a 'birthdays and christmas presents' account that I stick a bit into each month, it really helps. unfortunately I raided mine this year in the autumn because I'm off work ill, but at least it was there as an emergency buffer, and I'm determined to slowly fill it back up again this year....

Niecie Wed 07-Jan-09 00:30:51

Yep, I'll join in too. I used to collect 20ps as a child to save towards school trip spending money so I think I will save 50ps to take into account inflation. My mum saves £2 coins which sounds a lot but actually you don't get many of them so it isn't a fortune a week. I might see how many of those I get over the next few weeks and follow suit if it isn't a huge amount.

I collect all my nectar points over the year and had £100 this year to spend - it was helpful not just for food but for books and CD or DVDs. I already have £8 for next Christmas what with all the special offers with points which don't get add instantly. Of course you have to be regular Sainsburys shopper but it my local shop and petrol station so I would go there anyway.

TheButterflyEffect Wed 07-Jan-09 00:31:45

Message withdrawn

nappyaddict Wed 07-Jan-09 00:49:25

mrsh - do you put your leftover change in at the end of each day/week/fortnight what?

FAQtothefuture Wed 07-Jan-09 00:51:23

Nappy - I have one (unsealed one as I bag it up and put it in my "savings" account reguarly), I empty my wallet at the end of every day,

And I "never" have the right change in shops when they ask blush (even if I do IYKWIM)

nappyaddict Wed 07-Jan-09 00:56:49

But doesn't that mean you just end up getting more money out the bank or use your card? I think I would rather try and use my change up rather than get more money out.

FAQtothefuture Wed 07-Jan-09 00:57:23

no - it means I spend less money as I think more carefully about what I'm spending money on smile

FAQtothefuture Wed 07-Jan-09 01:00:11

I haven't used my card for payments for anything (apart from tonight when ordering my OU Set books for my course) for ages.

Last time I bought anything (other than stuff online - like train tickets/paid bills) with my card was 15th November.

I withdraw cash at the start of the week, and it has to last me.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now