Advertisement

loader

Talk

Advanced search

Gravy making

(7 Posts)
LaDiDaDi Tue 23-Dec-08 22:42:05

I feel like all I post in this section is asking for Xmas cookery advice but never mind, here I go again.

Apparently the gravy I made last year was "awful" according to dp. I'm a veggie btw. I tried to order fresh stuff in a tub with my online groceries but they didn't. I have liquid chicken stock by oxo in a small jar thing and also stock cubes and some other packet thing that claims that I just need to be adding water to it to make the gray. I will be cooking turkey and steaming and boiling veggies. Wine is available to add smile.

What would you advise?

TheChristmasArmadillo Tue 23-Dec-08 22:45:30

use 1 type of the stock - either the oxo stuff or the cubes. When you are cooking the meat add some extra water round the bottom, pour the juices from that in with the stock. Add 1/2 bottle of white wine and some lemon juice (either half a lemon or the equivilant jif). Thicken with cornflour.

LaDiDaDi Tue 23-Dec-08 22:50:22

Ok, I think it's the stuff around the meat where I'm getting it wrong. How do I not just end up putting fat/oil in?

thumbElf Tue 23-Dec-08 22:51:53

pour all the juices off into a jug and spoon off the fat from the top first. Or rush out tomorrow and buy an expensive fat separator that does the same thing. grin

santasinmywaistband Tue 23-Dec-08 22:55:19

Take met out of tin to rest.
tip roasting tin to one side and with a spoon skim of the fat from meat juices(throw fat away, or add to roast spuds)
Put tin on hob, allow to boil, add a large spoon of plain flour, stir, ans scrpe all meaty bits with wooden spoon.
Add large glug of wine , then once bubbling add liquid stock and allow to boil and thicken.
Pour into jug

LaDiDaDi Tue 23-Dec-08 22:58:08

Thankyou all very much.

I will report back on Boxing Day smile.

Tickle Tue 23-Dec-08 23:12:23

or just get dp to be in charge of gravy grin

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now