Advertisement

loader

Talk

Advanced search

eek - our rib of beef appears to have come from some sort of cow/elephant hybrid. What to do with leftovers?

(16 Posts)
PaddingtonBore Tue 23-Dec-08 15:22:07

We've got 7 people coming for Christmas dinner, and I always do beef. We've moved recently, and so I ordered my usual two fore-rib joint from a new butcher. I went to collect it and it seemed a bit on the big side, but stupidly I said nothing. I got it home and it weighs 11.5lb!

I am a tad concerned that it is not beef, but mammoth/dinosaur; that aside, what shall I do with all the leftovers?

OhYouMerryMerryKitten Tue 23-Dec-08 15:25:07

steak and onion pie
stirfry
curry
freeze some slices with gravy over so you have a ready meal.
sarnies with horseradish.
mince it and turn it into meatballs.

OhYouMerryMerryKitten Tue 23-Dec-08 15:25:24

oh yes and send some to me - it sounds lovely!

PaddingtonBore Tue 23-Dec-08 15:26:51

Can I mince it after it's been cooked? I think would need some sort of industrial equipment to divide up the uncooked beast joint. And can you mince in a food processor?

PaddingtonBore Tue 23-Dec-08 15:27:35

<prepares greaseproof paper for BadKitten's portion>

ChirpyGrinch Tue 23-Dec-08 15:47:08

Leftovers?

Surely after you have served it, had seconds and then picked at it for a few hours there won't be any left?!

Or use Merry kittens ideas! and make stock for yummy gravy weithbones, or give them to a dog shelter...

PaddingtonBore Tue 23-Dec-08 15:50:28

none left? it's over ELEVEN POUNDS shock grin. we normally get a 2 rib joint weighing about six pounds, and that still leaves plenty for butties.

I am going to be mightily sick of beef soon...

MissisBoot Tue 23-Dec-08 15:52:14

DH did this once and came home with a mammoth - just for us two!
I took off one rib worth before cooking it and made a beef bourguignon for a supper party on new years eve - was delish.

ChirpyGrinch Tue 23-Dec-08 15:52:31

(I wondered what Primeval did with the creatures they find on the show....)

PaddingtonBore Tue 23-Dec-08 15:55:57

it all becomes clear...

Myrrhcy Tue 23-Dec-08 15:56:54

You can mince it after it's cooked, but it may be a bit on the tough side. Would you be able to take it back to the butcher and ask him to cut it for you?

You could also make some bubble and squeak on Boxing Day.

OhYouMerryMerryKitten Tue 23-Dec-08 15:59:10

I've got one of those hand held mincers for meat. Doesnt help you though!

I will await for a parcel from Royal mail with great anticipation grin

PaddingtonBore Tue 23-Dec-08 16:01:18

Mercy, you speak sense, but I cannot be arsed to go back into town. I might sharpen a knife this evening and see if I can take a rib off without having to hack into the bone too much. I wonder if DH has a saw?

Dropdeadfred Tue 23-Dec-08 16:05:46

wow..was it expensive? envy

PaddingtonBore Tue 23-Dec-08 16:08:31

DDF it was quite expensive - £36 blush. But TBH we've paid that much in the past for a much smaller piece (used to live in a poncier areagrin).

Dropdeadfred Wed 24-Dec-08 10:03:27

Wow..that's not bad at all!!! Hope it's lovely!!!

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now