Advertisement

loader

Talk

Advanced search

Best recipe for red cabbage?

(16 Posts)
MaryMotherOfCheeses Tue 23-Dec-08 11:33:58

Sorry if done before.

I can google loads but want something deffo reliable and tasty.

Any suggestions for something tried and tested?

McDreamyingofawhiteXmas Tue 23-Dec-08 11:35:14

Got mine from here! It's lovely, I will find it for you!

littleducks Tue 23-Dec-08 11:37:08

me too!

dd has begged me to buy one for months so i agreed yesterday, she cuddled it all around the supermarket hmm

but when confronted with a display of whole salmon, told me we needed to take one home, cut its head off and eat it!

apuppydaviesisforlife Tue 23-Dec-08 11:37:45

not quite a recipe lol: brown sugar, vinegar, chopped apple, cloves, juniper berries, salt, pepper. lid on, steam in own juices/vinegar for 30-45mins. can put cloves/juniper in muslin bag or bash in pestle/mortar if you don't like playing "find the clove bomb" during dinner

McDreamyingofawhiteXmas Tue 23-Dec-08 11:38:44

this link should have the recipe it's lovely

apuppydaviesisforlife Tue 23-Dec-08 11:39:16

or count them out and count them back in again, have done this in past as i love red cabbage so i don't want the kds getting put off by a mouthful of clove

bellaBuonNatalevita Tue 23-Dec-08 11:39:26

this is nice

TheDevilWearsPrimark Tue 23-Dec-08 11:39:35

I soak it in cider then steam with cracked black pepper and when it's done stir through some fried red onion. Not traditional but so tasty.

MaryMotherOfCheeses Tue 23-Dec-08 11:40:53

LOL thank you. I'm too flapped to start looking for recipes right now. That's great.

TheDevilWearsPrimark Tue 23-Dec-08 11:41:00

Oh but that recipe looks amazing.

fluffles Tue 23-Dec-08 11:42:28

onion, apple, red cabbage. spices and seasoning to taste. just a couple of tbsp of red wine and in the oven for about an hour at 150degC.

Important things - cook very slow, don't drown in liquid. My previous disasters had too much liquid, two tbsp of wine is fine in a normal sized casserole dish - loads of liquid comes out of the cabbage, apple and onion if you cook it slow enough.

CountessDracula Tue 23-Dec-08 11:48:16

Shred a red cabbage and a couple of onions and a couple of apples

Put in a le creuset type pot. Add some red wine, apple juice and a couple of tbsp red wine vinegar so it almost covers the cabbage etc. Then 2-3 hours on lowest heat on the stove top stirring every 20 mins. Chuck in a 4 cloves and a grate of nutmeg too.

When it has absorbed all the liquid it's done

thesundaymarket Tue 23-Dec-08 11:53:30

I love red cabbage. This is my way of doing it:

fry a chopped red onion. Then add red cabbage, chopped into long strips, a chopped red apple, and a few handfuls of cranberries, (or raisins will do if you dont have them). Add 5 or so large tablespoons of balsmaic vinegar and 50 g or so of muscovado sugar, put a lid on and simmer gently for an hour or more. You can add more sugar or vinegar depending on the taste.

ChippyMyrrhton Tue 23-Dec-08 12:32:37

I've acquired a pack of Aunt Bessies red cabbage - any good?

MaryMotherOfCheeses Tue 23-Dec-08 13:41:19

Only if you take the wrapping off and present it as if cooked by your own fair hands, Chippy.

Is it battered?

ChippyMyrrhton Tue 23-Dec-08 13:47:00

LOL - battered cabbage rings grin
sainsbury's are doing 3for2, so i grabbed 3 packs of yorkshire puds and one of them turned out to be red cabbage.
I usually do the delia red cabbage & apple.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now