Advertisement

loader

Talk

Advanced search

Gingerbread House

(12 Posts)
mogs0 Sat 20-Dec-08 19:34:13

After my thread a couple of weeks ago, Ds and I made gingerbread today (from a recipe on here - thank you, it's delish!!). I had bought a mini gingerbread house kit online and when it arrived it was tiny!! I had a go at making a couple today and they were a total disaster. My plan was to make one for everyone as a table present for Christmas Day but it has taken me most of the afternoon to make and decorate 2! I might have another try on Monday or give in and make and decorate a 2d house shape instead!

LoveMyGirls Sat 20-Dec-08 19:37:20

How big was the box because I've got one i'm planning for dc's to make on tuesday and thought they could all make it together (have a photo than break it up and take their bits home) but if it's tiny I will need more and my budget won't stretch to that.

TinselBaublesMistletoe Sat 20-Dec-08 19:55:18

I've got one in the oven now - someone remind me next year not to do it again!!! Or at least on my own, my nephew (my regular cooking partner) has driven me mad. It smells great and I'm hoping it's going to work out OK. I used a printable template from UKTV Food rather than cutters.

How many children did you want to split it by LoveMyGirls?

mogs0 Sat 20-Dec-08 19:58:59

The kit I have is just the cutters and a little book. The cuters are about 3cms x 2cms!! I have an ikea kit on stand-by for when I've recovered from the trauma!! The actual gingerbread tastes great btw!!

Waswondering Sat 20-Dec-08 20:03:07

I have an ikea kit too - how do you glue the walls/roof together?

Have sold it to dh as a DIY project - first assemble, prepare walls, then decorate. Not sure he was convinced!

LoveMyGirls Sat 20-Dec-08 20:03:17

I wanted to split it into 4. It comes in a box I'm goignt o open the box and have a look and see how big it is now.......

LoveMyGirls Sat 20-Dec-08 20:05:18

It's fine, plenty big enough, got it from aldi for about £5 if anyone is interested btw.

TinselBaublesMistletoe Sat 20-Dec-08 20:08:48

Wish I'd known Aldi had a kit, I looked on their site too.

Glue the walls together with royal icing.

The one I've made would be good split between four. Not sure what size it actually is in cm, but it looks like it will be a nice size completed.

TheVirginGoober Sat 20-Dec-08 20:11:35

Lidl also has one for £5.

bloss Sat 20-Dec-08 20:23:16

Message withdrawn

mogs0 Sat 20-Dec-08 20:34:06

I think it'll be the 2d ones for us on Monday because I'll have ds plus 3 mindees and maybe friend and her 2 dcs too!!

TinselBaublesMistletoe Sat 20-Dec-08 20:59:24

I'm not happy sad half the pieces have come out looking a little caught! I only have first thing in the morning to decorate them because my nephew is going home. My parents oven is a little difficult, you can double the cooking time sometimes, but I went five minutes over today.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now