Talk

Advanced search

i want to make mince pies but [whispers] i haven't made any mincemeat

(21 Posts)
SheherazadetheGoat Tue 16-Dec-08 11:36:34

can you make mincemeat and then just use it, i have a mental block about the whole sterilising jars things.

or can i get some supermarket stuff - recommendations please.

buy some from the shop and add a splash of brandy, will be fine.

SheherazadetheGoat Tue 16-Dec-08 11:38:43

which shop stuff is good?

WhereTheWiseMenWent Tue 16-Dec-08 11:39:47

Buy some and add splosh of brandy, some orange zest and a grated apple.

sainsbury one is very good!

georgimama Tue 16-Dec-08 11:46:19

I think the effort of making pastry is more than enough, do people actually make their own mincemeat as well? This never occurred to me.

Will try putting some brandy in the ready made stuff, though, sounds yummy.

SheherazadetheGoat Tue 16-Dec-08 11:47:25

thanks will head off ot sainsburys!

CharleeInPantoPaperChains Tue 16-Dec-08 11:49:16

I bought the only Minemeat Tesco had and added a splash of brandy, for me what makes a mince pie is the pastry i add ground almonds ans grated orange zest and a pnch of salt to my normal sweet pastry recipe and it tastes marvelous! grin

vesela Tue 16-Dec-08 13:01:45

that sounds delicious, charlee.

I haven't made any mincemeat either. Anybody know which one is better, M&S or Tesco? (I live in Prague, and those are the two options). I had a look at the M&S one but it looked a bit stodgy.

vesela Tue 16-Dec-08 13:12:28

I'm also thinking I might make mini apple pies (with cinnamon and raisins in) instead. With Charlee's pastry (thanks!).

CharleeInPantoPaperChains Tue 16-Dec-08 13:13:59

<whispers - it's actually Ainsley Harriotts pastry>

grin

CharleeInPantoPaperChains Tue 16-Dec-08 13:17:26

here it is Enjoy! smile

ramonaquimby Tue 16-Dec-08 13:25:19

dd2 and I are about to 'make' mince pies using store bought pastry and mincemeat in a jar!

will still be tasty though, and some icing sugar to dust with yum yum smile

fishie Tue 16-Dec-08 13:27:19

i have made mincemeat but can't be bothered to do pies now.

OrmIrian Tue 16-Dec-08 13:27:29

[whispers back] Go and buy some then.

grin

Countingtheflocksbynight Tue 16-Dec-08 13:48:11

dare I mention that Nigella made some on telly last night: she just threw a load of dried cranberries, fresh cranberries, raisins and other ingredients in a pan with some port I think it was and heated it all up - she didn't bother with suet - then she just let it cool a bit, mashed it with some honey and spooned it all in to the cases.

It seemed lighter and more like a fruit tart than a traditional mincemeat ...

Here it is:

[[http://www.bbc.co.uk/food/recipes/database/cranberrystuddedminc_90619.shtml ]]

Countingtheflocksbynight Tue 16-Dec-08 13:48:44

PS she used cooled fresh orange juice to make the pastry instead of water which I thought was a good tip

Cies Tue 16-Dec-08 13:58:18

If you're still interested in making the mincemeat, I can heartily recommend this one. I made it a few weeks ago, but I don't really know why I made it in advance.

I'm not in the UK either, and finding suet is a real problem, so this recipe is a godsend. I made my pies yesterday, and they are delicious, if I do say so myself!

babypowder Tue 16-Dec-08 14:03:31

I've just made Nigella's mince pies from last night and they are divine. Boozy, and very delicious. Hope some of them make it to the freezer ... wink

Countingtheflocksbynight Tue 16-Dec-08 14:17:17

I'll just try that link again

www.bbc.co.uk/food/recipes/database/cranberrystuddedminc_90619.shtml

vesela Tue 16-Dec-08 14:53:23

thanks for the link, Charlee!

I've just made kipferl with ground hazelnuts in (& covered in icing sugar...)

The mincemeat recipes look good too.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now