Talk

Advanced search

Soaking christmas cake fruit in brandy question!

(5 Posts)
Thankyouandgoodnight Mon 03-Nov-08 19:52:14

I've finally decided to actually make my own cake this year - the clincher being the realisation that I can have DOUBLE the amount of marzipan blush grin.

Now then - I'm doing Delia's on-line one and I've started soaking the fruit (in what looks like a rather measly amount of brandy I must say) but suddenly realised that as I still need to procure the black treacle and almonds, I may not actually be able to bake it until wednesday, rather than tomorrow. Is this going to be a problem do you think??

Milliways Mon 03-Nov-08 20:06:41

Nope!

I left mine soaking for a week once, adding a bit more brandy every few days! It was potent!! grin

Made my Delia Cake yesterday, left soaking only 1 night in stated amount. Smelt lovely whilst cooking Makes it really Christmassy.

I too had to get more Black treacle as last year I used some from a tin at least 5 years out of date shock Still, tis only sugar, can't really go off? Cake was still scrummy!

littlefrog Mon 03-Nov-08 20:17:46

will be fine.

The treacle though - BEWARE of using treacle that has gone out of date (I saw a Do Not Use After date as well as Best Before on a recent tin) - it can start to ferment, and will go BANG when you lever the lid off. With extremely messy and surprising results. And a bruised nose. I speak from experience...

bellavita Mon 03-Nov-08 20:18:56

It will be ok - longer the better imo!

Milliways Mon 03-Nov-08 20:19:55

grin

Glad I threw it away now!

Just need more recipes to use it up though....

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, watch threads, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now »

Already registered? Log in with: