Advertisement

loader

Talk

Advanced search

What do your children wear on xmas day??????

(38 Posts)
jenk1 Sun 02-Nov-08 16:17:51

if you have a DD do you buy her a special dress/party outfit?

Not sure whether to buy DD a dress that may only be worn 2/3 times at the most, or buy her a top,trousers that will.

she would quite like a party dress and its nice to make a special effort.

DS is easy to buy for, he would not appreciate a "posh xmas" outfit and would refuse to wear it so its new top and trackies,and he,ll get loads of wear out of them.

oh what a dilemma!!!

LadyOfRoffle Sun 02-Nov-08 16:21:11

PJs Now I am 'grown up' with the DSs I want to get us all mstching jumpers blush My mum always wears a red velvet dress, it's tradition now grin and gets tipsy. And she never gets tispy

Heated Sun 02-Nov-08 16:30:32

My brother and I used to get new clothes, laid out on our bed along with our stocking, but that was because we didn't get lots of new clothes in the year so it was all part of the Christmas magic. And way back then [aged crone emoticon] the sales genuinely started in January so my mum felt justified spending the money.

To get back to answering your question, firstly it would depend on how flush I was, because if I was strapped I'd go for the repeated wearing clothes every time. But if I had the flexibility, I would either buy dd something that she is going to enjoy playing dress-up in throughout the year (so I wouldn't spend a vast amount lot of money on it in case it got ripped) or just something pretty so guaranteed she'd wear it lots, maybe with some fairy wings.

IllegallyBrunette Sun 02-Nov-08 16:33:22

I normally try and buy them a new top at least. I wrap it up as one of their pressies.

I used to get the dd's nice dresses but they don't get enough wear.

This year I will probably buy Dd2 a Camp Rock top, and Ds a Wars top. Not sure about dd1 yet.

cat64 Sun 02-Nov-08 16:40:10

Message withdrawn

HappyMummyOfOne Sun 02-Nov-08 17:03:33

DS has new pjs on xmas eve and wears them whilst opening pressies and changes later. As we stay home I dont buy a specific outfit.

snickersnack Sun 02-Nov-08 17:06:58

Party dress from eBay for dd. She has her birthday in January and so do lots of her friends so she wears it on Christmas Day then a lot thereafter. Last year ds was 6 months old and his grandmother bought him the most ridiculous (lovely but soooo expensive) Italian knitted jumper and trousers. Don't think we'll repeat that - just a smartish t-shirt and some dungarees.

squeakypop Sun 02-Nov-08 17:08:02

Just their usual non-uniform wear. They don't dress up.

nell12 Sun 02-Nov-08 17:10:12

They wear whatever they put on in the morning. I am generally too tipsy busy to worry grin

Pinkchampagne Sun 02-Nov-08 17:13:15

No special outfits, but I make sure they look quite smart I guess!

Rubyrubyruby Sun 02-Nov-08 17:13:48

Message withdrawn at poster's request.

IdrisTheDragon Sun 02-Nov-08 17:14:20

DD has a special dress - usually from ebay smile.

DS normally wears a shirt and smartish trousers.

I like dressing up on Christmas Day smile

Phoenix Sun 02-Nov-08 17:16:41

Ds will be wearing his new Sportacus dressing up outfit this year . The last 2 years he's had a new outfit.

compo Sun 02-Nov-08 17:17:27

just normal casual clothes here

swedishmum Sun 02-Nov-08 17:42:10

By choice something red or fairy outfit. Everyone has to wear red PJs in our house at Christmas then I love it when dd3 wears something festive looking. Not too faffy though - probably a red net skirt (an old favourite from M and S outlet), red long sleeved t shirt and red tights. Don't get much say in what nos 1 2 and 3 wear (dreaded teenagers) but anything themed is banned, and sportwear is only for actively playing sports. I sound like a nutty control freak, I know.

Weegle Sun 02-Nov-08 18:41:29

Ds (2.5) will be wearing a tan top jumper, long sleeve shirt and navy trousers. The trousers he has already, and the top and the tank top comes v cheap from ebay. I've done the same each xmas as the outfit will get a lot of wear as tank tops last ages before growing out of!

Weegle Sun 02-Nov-08 18:42:18

tank top even

Smithagain Sun 02-Nov-08 18:55:09

Something pretty and bright for church - they like dressing up and will want to anyway.

Whatever they like when we get home. Which will probably be their best clothes and/or a dressing up outfit. Or DD2 might just decide to throw the whole lot off until we wrestle her into some knickers for Christmas dinner!

I did buy them new outfits last year, but don't make a habit of it.

robinpud Sun 02-Nov-08 19:03:31

Mrs Claus brings them a new outfit to wear, but she is very practical and tends to buy something they might just possibly need anyway.. but she wraps it up beautifully and leaves it on the fireplace whilst we are out for a walk!

littlestrawberry Sun 02-Nov-08 19:06:26

I have boys so its easy- new star wars T-shirts for both which will be wrapped with their pressies. I would always go for something they will get lots more wear out of.

BONKERZ Sun 02-Nov-08 19:07:49

mine always have a new outfit for christmas day wrapped up and its normally a smart top and new trousers or a nice casual dress for DD which she can wear anytime. Its a bit of a tradition, they also get new pjs for christmas night!

kid Sun 02-Nov-08 19:08:58

My kids will normally get a new outfit off someone. If not, I will buy them something smart or dressy to wear on the day.
My sister always insists on wearing red on Christmas day, its sort of rubbed off on me now too!

aGalChangedHerName Sun 02-Nov-08 19:10:45

The dd's will wear the beautiful dresses my best friend bought them for their birthdays in August. We are going out for dinner again this year so we will all get dressed up.

smallone Sun 02-Nov-08 19:12:07

Like to put DD in something festive, got a lovely little red velvet dress at a charity shop last year, she wore it a few times over the christmas period and coz it was second hand I didn't feel to bad about not getting alot of wear out of it.

Yanda Sun 02-Nov-08 19:22:50

DD is 2.4 and she does have a red velvet dress with matching red patent shoes and a red woollen shrug, so the whole outfit really.

However, I only have a couple of years in which I am allowed to buy her a very girly very smart outfit all of my own choosing and so I am allowing myself these couple of years. I also know that the outfit will be passed on to my friend's little girls who will both get some wear from it too.

It will be no time at all for her to hit the "I'm not wearing that mummy stage" and then it will be whatever goes. I personally prefer jeans and a red top for me!

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now