Advertisement

loader

Talk

Advanced search

What can I get an 8yr old and a (just) 5yr old (DS's) for Christmas.........very cheap

(16 Posts)
FAQ Sat 01-Nov-08 22:59:37

I've got them a joint present (a Wii) - but want to give them something cheap to unwrap that is their "own" thing. As I'm not sure that DS2 is going to totally get "this is a Wii to share - and ermm that's it". Plus I'm not sure how many other presents they'll have to unwrap (given my - virtually non-existent - contact with my family atm I'm not sure they'll get anything much from them). ExH will almost certainly give them their presents from him at his house, and as it stands under the tree is going to look very bare (3 things atm, Wii, Wii play and DS3's present).

DS2's birthday is the end of this month and I've already got him a remote control mini and the Operation game (one will be from "me" the other from his brothers).

They have FAR too many pens, we have a policy of "once it's run out throw it away" in this house, and STILL the blardy box is full to overflowing (and it's a big box), DS1 is still working through his dot-to-dot book (99 bumper one) from 2yrs ago, DS2 still working through his from last year, they have books (hundreds of them), and nearly 2 shelves full of colouring books.

They're both obsessed with cars, but as DS2 is getting small remote controlled one for his birthday,and 75% of the toys in this house are of the 4 wheeled variety not sure they really need any more of those either.

PLEASE can you help me think of something small so they have something of their own to unwrap

Thanks smile

ChasingSquirrels Sat 01-Nov-08 23:05:35

games - top trumps / chess for ds1 / uno / yahtzee
small lego
hot wheels cars

Woolworths have 3for2 on until tomorrow. Not that you want 3...

tootiredtothink Sat 01-Nov-08 23:07:36

I would just go to Poundland and spend your money there - get them lots of little things to open.

Always find the Poundland toys here get better from now coming up to Christmas.

FAQ Sat 01-Nov-08 23:12:58

hehe Chasing Squirrels - I forgot to mention that I recently got 2 large boxes (very large actually) out of the attic for DS1........which were full to the brim of small lego grin

Might try the 99p shop next weekend when they're with exH - can't do Woolies tomorrow (although 3 toys would ok - as DS3 currently only had one thing lol) as I'll have them with me.

ChasingSquirrels Sat 01-Nov-08 23:17:21

large full to the brim lego boxes sound good (you should have saved them for xmas!).
hama bead set for ds2? The space one looks good. Independent toy shops will stock them.

ChasingSquirrels Sat 01-Nov-08 23:19:44

annuals? some good deals on amazon and free delivery over £5 - if you buy 2, atm.

FAQ Sat 01-Nov-08 23:21:14

oh yes they're fabulous - full of piece for just about anything you could imagine - all saved from when my DB and I were little - along with about 40 sets of instructions, and about 20 (maybe more?) different bases for building on.

Problem is DS1 knew they were there and I'd been promising to get them down for ages - exH had resisted "because the bits will end up everywhere" (as yet they haven't and they've been out of the attic a few months now..........) so there was no way I could make him wait until Christmas to get them lol.

Some great ideas here - keep 'em coming grin

bellavita Sat 01-Nov-08 23:21:17

ooh I have bought yahtzee for DS1

ChasingSquirrels Sat 01-Nov-08 23:21:24

i actually meant small lego sets, rather than small pieces, they do racers which are £2.99 each, scroll down on that link, last year's models are £2.50 each.

bellavita Sat 01-Nov-08 23:22:38

How about Guinness Book of Records?

ChasingSquirrels Sat 01-Nov-08 23:22:48

oh god it you have that much you don't need more! lol
My ds1 went though a real yahtzee phase in the summer. Found a free download as well as I got fed up of playing it with him, basic but did the job.

vixma Sat 01-Nov-08 23:34:23

As it has been suggested even though not everyones dream...poundland. I have bought the main gift and I will not lie...we have a new home (renting) and money is tight. The stuff we have bought in pound land (my son is 12) he fiddles with for days. They have joke sets etc. It is not crap (even though I thought it was at first). He loved it!. Poundland!...(dont fall for the sweets...cheaper everywhere else). Toys are great though!

FAQ Sat 01-Nov-08 23:36:28

oh I don't mind poundland (or similar - our 99p shop is ok when they have stuff in - don't have a poundland, the other cheap shop is shit - I know through experience grin). It's just the coming up with ideas bit I'm struggling with.

skramble Sat 01-Nov-08 23:42:19

Charity shops often have imaculate never used board games.

HappyMummyOfOne Sun 02-Nov-08 09:27:04

Cheap dvds? Do they have any favourite shows?

havingaparty Sun 02-Nov-08 15:18:11

what about jigsaws? I got some really good ones from TKmaxx for £3 each for my ds1 who is 5 just after christmas

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now