Advertisement

loader

Talk

Advanced search

My baby will be 8 months. What should I get him?

(13 Posts)
RagingHormone Thu 30-Oct-08 15:16:09

He's almost 6 months. He's done most things early- e.g he stands at the sofa, he's trying to crawl, he says mama, dada, iya, etc etc. So should I buy him 9 month plus toys or 6 month plus toys? And what sort of things? He's my first so I'm clueless.

TwoFoggy Thu 30-Oct-08 17:12:40

i would get a mix of 9+ and 12+ for him to grow into or be played with help and supervision

geordieminx Thu 30-Oct-08 17:16:49

He got a mix of stuff - things like an activity table, mini keyboard type thing, abacus frame, trucks, shape sorters and musical/touchy feely books.

SmugColditz Thu 30-Oct-08 17:18:38

Buy him a push-along toy, some stacking cups, something to bash with a hammer or some megablocks to build up and knock down.

MurderousMarla Thu 30-Oct-08 17:19:03

What about a walker? I mean push-along, not the kind they sit in. Or a small paddling pool and a couple of bags of playballs.

mysteryfairy Thu 30-Oct-08 19:16:15

I'd be tempted to get this. He is a bit young but if he is physically advanced he would be using it soon after xmas. I think it would be a nice thing to own in your family for a long time and more memorable than lots of plastic bits.

wheelybug

Winebeforepearls Thu 30-Oct-08 19:26:52

and make sure it comes in a lovely big cardboard box wink

Fillyjonk Thu 30-Oct-08 19:35:24

get something that will last and that you can live with

my dd2 is getting themini fire engine but if she was my first, not my third, and if my house didn't already look like a playgroup, I'd probably get some wooden blocks or something.

I wish I could remember what ds got for his forst christmas...

tassisssss Thu 30-Oct-08 19:40:10

If I were you I'd be tossing up between the wheelybug, a wee wooden trike (we like the Galt one very much) and a wooden push along brick trolley. My 3 have had all of the above and I think the wooden trike is most played with.

Other things I'd think about would include a rocker (the little tikes horse one is under £15 and can go in the garden next summer), stacking cups, a zylophone or musical instrument set and some chunky vehicles (Pat's van is a big hit in this house from a very early age!).

ja9 Thu 30-Oct-08 20:01:38

we loved this

RagingHormone Fri 31-Oct-08 16:53:50

Yep I've totally got to get all of these things!! I'm still at that stage where I love new things for me baby to play with. The liddle wooden bug thing is lovely. I think I'll get one for my baby nieces, too.

Should I get him clothes or is that stupid? He's probably only going to play with the wrapping paper anyway.

leesmum Sat 01-Nov-08 09:23:28

Bath toys and little books always go down well.

TheDuchessOfNorksDied Sat 01-Nov-08 09:39:48

DS1 was advanced, we gave him one of those outdoor trikes with a long handle for parents to push it with without doing their backs in. grin His balance was great.

DD1 had the Galt trike (at 1yr but she was ver' ver' slow!). It's been used and used by 3 DCs so far. Ditto, wooden trolley of blocks but it's not good for pulling up to a stand with - maybe keep that for 1st birthday.

He also had a large, clunky truck (which is now outside in the sandpit).

'Pat mat' type things were good too, for crawling over, laying on etc.

leesmums suggestions would be excellent in his stocking...!

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now