Talk

Advanced search

Does look mean. Christmas hamper for my dad

(14 Posts)
lizziemun Thu 30-Oct-08 09:53:41

Would it be/look mean if i was to make a hamper up for my dad for christmas.

The main reason is that he is terminal ill (abestoes) i don't know what to buy him.

I have made him a christmas cake, i was thinking of adding some nice fruit teas (although i'm not sure where buy them) and some nice coffee. Not sure what else to add.

I would normally add some wine but he is now not allowed to drink with his medication.

Jennster Thu 30-Oct-08 09:57:00

Sounds lovely and not mean at all. What about chutneys and chocolates. You could make some home made truffles very easily.

ktwooooowooooo Thu 30-Oct-08 09:59:40

home made things would be lovely , maybe ur kiddies could make little gifts to go in the hamper too
sorry to hear about your dad , my dh grandad had that bless him , sending u a big mumsnet hug xx smile

bella29 Thu 30-Oct-08 10:06:22

What about a warming wheat bag thingy?

I think it's a lovely idea and will mean so much more to him because you have carefully chosen or made everything yourself.

Wishing you a lovely Christmas x

bella29 Thu 30-Oct-08 10:11:40

PS And Whittards do lots of fruit teas, as do most of the supermarkets now. Orange and cinnamon is a good one at this time of year!

kitsmummy Thu 30-Oct-08 10:12:50

I normally go into M&S and make up one of their hampers - you buy the hamper size you want and fill it with stuff of your choice. They do also do the ready made selections but I prefer doing it myself, more personal and appropriate for the person.

lizziemun Thu 30-Oct-08 10:16:29

Thanks for you replys.

DD1 will love to help/make truffles, biscuits

What about a photo alban with pictures of dd's in as he hasn't realy been in my life for the last 15/6 years.

bella29 Thu 30-Oct-08 10:28:53

Fantastic idea!

ktwooooowooooo Thu 30-Oct-08 10:31:26

great idea xx he will ,love it im sure xx

HollyGoHeavily Thu 30-Oct-08 10:32:40

or a photo frame with pictures of your family that he can stand on his mantelpiece....

I think a personal hamper is a lovely touch and i'm sure he will appreciate the trouble you went to.

How about some nice Cheshire cheese to go with the cake??

TwoFoggy Thu 30-Oct-08 14:16:18

Photobox do coasters and mugs, you could do a couple of mugs with sweets in maybe?

Also Lakeland do things like reindeer poo, would that be good?

Homemade crackers with silly things from Hawkins bassare too, look good poking out and good for a giggle.

Can you sew? A napkin with an initial if your good? Way beyond me!

I think its a lovely idea.

cherryliquormonster Thu 30-Oct-08 14:28:58

how about a good book? i have made a hamper for my dad- it contains- miniature whiskies, racing grannies, posh coffee, richard hammond book, cranberry sauce, blackcurrants in liquer, and whatever else i manage to find between now and christmas

lizziemun Thu 30-Oct-08 18:38:40

A book a good idea (I know he likes boring histical/political books)

Can I make truffles now and freeze, probaly should ask in receipes.

Thankyouandgoodnight Thu 30-Oct-08 19:54:01

What a really lovely idea!

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, watch threads, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now »

Already registered? Log in with: