Talk

Advanced search

Where do you put your Christmas tree with a nearly 1yo in the house?

(15 Posts)
BloodshotEyeballsintheScarySky Thu 30-Oct-08 09:25:14

And a demon one at that, at least she is now, can't see why 2 months or so will make a difference! hmm.

We usually have a six footer decked out to kingdom come. Last year had a twig with half a dozen B&Q baubles thrown at it (9 months pg). This year was looking forward to the big tree again but I mistakenly thought I'd get a delicate, gentle, fluffy child, not Pansy Potter the Strongman's Dotter!

So where to put a tree. I don't have playpen to protect it so am I looking at a 3ft branch on a high table? sad

padboz Thu 30-Oct-08 09:27:10

we had a 4 ft tree on top of a bookshelf - suprisingly as it went to the roof it seemed to fill the room more than our standard 6 ft on the floor one.

bella29 Thu 30-Oct-08 10:08:06

I didn't put my tree out of reach but I did make sure all the baubles were plastic or wood grin

Sawyer64 Thu 30-Oct-08 10:09:37

I used to put a coffee table in front of it,so DS could look but not reach to touch.

omeNofthefleshes Thu 30-Oct-08 10:11:02

I put my tree where I always put it but just make sure that baubles are plastic and maybe tie the tree to the wall in some way.

omeNofthefleshes Thu 30-Oct-08 10:11:39

oh and have always put some little people christmas toys at the base of the tree..great distraction.

friends of ours put theirs in a cage but obviously they had one already.

mrsgboring Thu 30-Oct-08 10:12:45

Go on Freecycle and beg for a playpen - you might be lucky.

We had just moved house so we had it in an empty room and didn't put anything breakable on/under it.

Peachy Thu 30-Oct-08 10:13:49

On the box for at least another 6 eeks! <harsh stare> wink

no ok good question- esp, as ds4 about to crawl

mum puts hers outside which is great but not for us as we live directly fronting the road. in last house we put in a bay window with a sofa in front, again not here

I really want a tree- 3 older dc's in house and they care. Dh is talking about in the travel vot but that will look crap!

A small one is the way to go I thin, or an alernative one- maybe holly strung up and lit?

me, i'm thinking holly/ window lights and then as we have a kitchen extension, a real one out there on the roog so the kids can see it- oh yes and it will annoy the cow next door. Doube whammy grin

PsychoAxeMurdererMum Thu 30-Oct-08 10:15:16

I have never put my tree behind something or up high........and no accidents yet.

you can only try it and see what happens. you might actually get lucky and find that as it is so big and awe-inspiring she will just look at it in wonder and not realise that it can be touched/climbed/pulled over......even my houdini monster never realised thatgrin.

if there is any way of tying it to something fixed tho, that might be a plan.

HensMum Thu 30-Oct-08 10:22:46

We're planning to have a medium sized one with unbreakable ornaments and will just have to see how DS copes. I'm hoping that letting him play with a few of the lower down ornaments will remove the temptation to climb/pull over the tree!

bella29 Thu 30-Oct-08 10:31:00

IME you end up shifting all the ornaments up a metre or so over the course of the festive period. Dc are 4 & 6 now but I still have trouble remembering to decorate the lower branches!

cherryliquormonster Thu 30-Oct-08 14:38:42

i agree with psycho- have gone through four kids- first christmas's they were between 6 and 9 months, 2nd they were between 18 and 21 months. never had any problems, i have a 7 foot tree with loads of decs even at low levels and they were always perfectly happy to sit and look at the flashing lights rather than try to play with it.

BloodshotEyeballsintheScarySky Thu 30-Oct-08 16:08:40

Hmm....you are all very optimistic! I would bet my granny on DD pulling the whole thing down on top of her within seconds. I might do it gradually. Y'know, decorate the lowest branches and leave for a couple of days. When If she pulls it down I'll abandon and get a small one but if she leaves it alone I'll go a bit higher!

RubyRioja Thu 30-Oct-08 16:09:25

in the garden

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now