Talk

Advanced search

are there really people who pretend to their kids that ALL the presents are from Santa?

(26 Posts)
apostrophe Mon 27-Oct-08 19:07:26

Message withdrawn

sweetkitty Mon 27-Oct-08 19:09:22

Santa gets them one big present that is left unwrapped for the wow factor on Christmas morning and the stockings. Mum and Dad get the rest (not letting the big fat man take all the credit) and relatives get mentioned too.

nolongeraworriedmummyfied Mon 27-Oct-08 19:09:59

Message withdrawn at poster's request.

NCbirdy Mon 27-Oct-08 19:11:25

Yes, not me but one of my family. The reasoning being that presents are given for the pleasure of giving not the pleasure of having someone grovel their thanks (their words not mine) ad, apparently, it akes more "sense" if all the presents come from one person.

I disliked it but went along with it (after making my point wink but IMHO it has resulted in an ungrateful child (even for a teenager) - maybe I am wrong, maybe they would have turned out that way anyway grin

MrsGhoulofGhostbourne Mon 27-Oct-08 19:14:05

no.... Santa very overrated, the kids humour us, but both just figured out for themsleves at about 6 - my elder son at that age even got us gifts from the 'secrets' stall @ the school fair, (where they help the child to choose and wrap a gift for the parents) and told us it was from 'the children's Santa' to keep up the pretence.

Maveta Mon 27-Oct-08 19:23:11

Not Santa but the 3 kings which is what they get instead - not my kids but my nieces and nephews. It does annoy me a bit,I don´t give to get the thank you but do think it´s good for them to learn that it was nice of someone to think of them and get them something they (hopefully) like and to appreciate it.

I do wonder how we will broach this when ds is old enough to understand as i don´t want to do things that way. Except the well established tradition is that all presents MUST be at grandmother´s house before kids arrive on 6th jan so they all arrive and open what the ´kings´ brought them. So how DO we get around this? Difficult.

cherryliquormonster Mon 27-Oct-08 19:29:44

my kids get their stockings from santa, and a small santa sack full of bits and bobs (cookie mix, flannels, sweets, little bits i pick up etc) from the big man too. everything else is from the person who bought it. seems to work as ds1 (9 1/2) still seems to believe.

PsychoAxeMurdererMum Mon 27-Oct-08 19:32:41

santa only gives them the stocking pressies. help them realise that big pressies cannot be given for free, so if we cannot afford it we can be honest, and also, when they ask santa for what they want, they can only ever ask for soemthing stocking sizedgrin

of course, they are beginning to realise that DS/PSP games are stocking sizedhmm.....

tooscaredtothink Mon 27-Oct-08 19:51:50

I do PMSL at the people who don't want Santa to get all the credit grin - kids do find out the truth eventually then realise what wonderful parents you are wink.

All pressies under the tree are from whom ever bought them - one from us, any friends, aunts, uncles and grandparents. How strange to let them think that nanny never gets them anything sad.

Santa brings the main pressies in a sack plus a small stocking - although Psycho idea is a bloody good one. My dd is after a wii this year and there is not a hope in hell! Should have thought that one up a few years ago.

ElfOnTheTopShelf Mon 27-Oct-08 19:56:03

the only pressie DD gets "from Santa" is the pressie she gets when Santa visits toddler group.

fatzak Mon 27-Oct-08 20:13:57

It's just so confusing this lark isn't it?? I had presumed that I would just go along with the tradition that I had when I was little, but now I want to change bits and think I might just trip up and confuse myself, never mind the DSes!!

I didn't have a stocking when I was little ( no one I knew did, wonder if it's a north/south thing perhaps????)and all my presents were brought from FC who had been asked to send them by members of the family. So thank you letters could still be written, but there was still the excitement of FC bringing them!

ElfOnTheTopShelf Mon 27-Oct-08 20:16:34

are you north or south? we never had stocking either

fatzak Mon 27-Oct-08 21:16:57

North. You?

chocbiscuits Mon 27-Oct-08 21:18:41

In my book Santa gets just the stocking presents, but then DH thinks that santa brings the whole lot from nanny and everybody so I keep telling him that just isn't so. No doubt Ds1 probably pretty confused about it.....

Flibbertyjibbet Mon 27-Oct-08 21:23:44

Someone on here last year said that all presents from family and friend have to be handed over before xmas to then be 'from santa' otherwise the child didn't get the gift at all.

We do the tree pressies, stocking in the morning from santa and then relatives give them presents when they see them, and we give the relatives presents too.

ElfOnTheTopShelf Mon 27-Oct-08 21:51:13

North. Well, Midlands, but north if you split the country in half grin

frazzled74 Wed 29-Oct-08 15:52:30

me and dh dont buy the presents santa does, stockings and big presents, but we do exchange gifts with other relatives so they still get the idea of giving and saying thankyou, they also send a thankyou note up the chimney on boxing day.

idobelieveinghosts Thu 30-Oct-08 08:20:19

Santa gets one pressie here per child....the rest from us...santa ain't getting all the glory grin.

We wrap the pressies from santa in different paper.

Anna8888 Thu 30-Oct-08 08:23:28

Here in France it is quite common for little children to be told that all the presents come from Father Christmas.

QOD Thu 30-Oct-08 08:29:37

My dd asked me when she was about 4 why daddy & I didn't get her a present.... So it kinda changed the next year!
1 separarately wrapped from santa pressie, but we usually say, like when it was a bike, that we sent as much money as we could to santa so it was from us as well LOL

She will be 10 this year and still beleives

Cies Thu 30-Oct-08 08:53:15

Here in Spain it's like Maveta describes - all the presents come from the Three Wise Men and have to be laid out in grandmother's living room before the kids arrive on 6th January.

I dislike this idea because the children don't ever say thank you for their presents, which I think is an important life skill.

Even the adults have to pretend that the Wise Men have brought them presies - I nearly blew it the first year by saying thank you to MIL when I opened what I patently knew to be from her. Oh well...

kyrasmummy Thu 30-Oct-08 10:06:03

Santa brings the stockings and a big pressie here, gifts from friends and family are given from friends and family, I often wondered why my mum and dad didn't get me anything but now i do the same to my 2, they'll realise when they're older that i bought it all anyway so i'm not that bothered about Santa getting all the glory while they're still young enough to believe in it all

Hulababy Thu 30-Oct-08 10:07:59

No, don't know anyne who has FC bringing all gifts.

In our house FC is more like a delivery service, althugh he often brings a gift of his own too. All presents are labelled from the right people, and thank you letters are duely done/

themildmanneredaxemurderer Thu 30-Oct-08 10:10:38

Message withdrawn at poster's request.

magnolia74 Thu 30-Oct-08 15:17:24

Santa brings all the presents that are in the stockings and under the tree But its only the stockings and one main pressie from him, the rest from mum/dad/brother/sister ect... He just delivers them

Relatives pressies are given when we see them smile
The girls also believe I am one of santa's secret helpers who help wrap presents and then the elves collect them a few days before Xmas grin

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now