Advertisement

loader

Talk

Advanced search

Help! What do I get for an 8 year old with no interest in toys!

(9 Posts)
TwoFoggyToSee Fri 24-Oct-08 14:58:22

I need two (birthday and Christmas) presents for an 8 year old. He has aspergers and goes threw phases of collecting things, but his family have bagged all the things he is into this year. He also likes computer games but they are above budget. He has severe allergies so treats are out. I dont want to get vouchers because we are on a tighter budget this year and it will show blush and also because I like his to have something to open, also its one of the few that his mum doesnt know what is in it, so adds to the fun iyswim. He doesnt do art or lego or playmobile. Since he was about 4 I have got him books but I dont think he really likes them. arggg help!

SoMuchToBats Fri 24-Oct-08 15:00:29

Telescope
Globe

SoMuchToBats Fri 24-Oct-08 15:04:07

What is your budget, and what are his interests (e.g. sport, music, aeroplanes, cars, etc)?

slayerette Fri 24-Oct-08 15:04:34

You say he doesn't do art but would he make things? You know, those kits where you can construct a dinosaur skeleton or something like that. You can also get a good range of science-type sets in The Entertainer or look online for kits that can be used to explore elements of science. I have bought things like this for my nephew in the past and they have been successful.

SofiaAmes Fri 24-Oct-08 15:08:43

A metal detector (there is a child one available here in the usa for about $15)...I got it for my ds' friend who has aspergers and he loved it.
Music. How about a Dan Zanes cd. Or Abba.
Magnetic Poetry for the fridge.
Rock tumbler (don't know how much they are...but remember those...you put rocks and polish in and they shine them up to shiny rocks.)
Disco ball (ds' friend with aspergers desperately wanted one of those last year when he turned 8).

hannahsaunt Fri 24-Oct-08 15:10:38

The National Geographic Kids magazine is fantastic. You can get a 12 month subscription (1 magazine per month) for £24. Ds1 got one for his birthday and we love it.

TwoFoggyToSee Fri 24-Oct-08 16:25:40

Thank you all so much, loads of really great ideas. I will run some by his mum and see if any are a good fit.

Squiz Sun 02-Nov-08 20:13:13

I have this problem with my own 7 year old son who has asperger's - he's not really into playing! We often get him 'factual/sciency' presents. He loves mineral digs where you 'dig' for crystals/gemstones, they are about £10 from Amazon, or grow your own crystals, atlases or are there any DVD's you could get?

serin Mon 03-Nov-08 18:51:49

Butterfly kit (£15 Sainbury's)

Volcano kit.

Bird book and binoculars

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now