Talk

Advanced search

Who do you give a special christmas bonus tip?

(46 Posts)
mamadiva Fri 24-Oct-08 11:41:47

I have honestly never thought of doing this before but my mum mentioned it the other day she gives the window cleaner, wheelie bin cleaner bin nen.

Do you do any of these and how much would you tip or what would you give?

Also regarding nursery staff do you give them a gift?

I must sound reallu dim here but honetly never crossed my mind before blush

childrenofthecornsilk Fri 24-Oct-08 11:43:43

I buy pressies for teachers and TA's - wine or chocs . I always want to tip the binmen but never see them at Xmas.

MrsMattie Fri 24-Oct-08 11:44:14

Bin men get a tenner - might even give them more this year as they have been so helpful this year, taking away loads of bits and bobs for me that they really shouldn't have grin

Cleaner gets double time on her last clean before Xmas

Got a big tin of nice biccies and a couple of bottles of wine for nursery staff last year

Used to tip the milkman when we had one

PoppyCoc Fri 24-Oct-08 11:45:22

Postman always gets a fiver or a bottle of wine - always pays to keep the postie onside wink

NomDePlume Fri 24-Oct-08 11:46:24

I just put a big 24 pack of lager on the wheelie bin with a note saying thanks for all your hard work over the last year. I don;t give money

I used to tip the postman in our old house because it was always the same person, however it's a different one each week now so I don;t bother.

mamadiva Fri 24-Oct-08 11:46:51

Oh forgot about the post man

Although he is a lazy shit who never turns up before 3pm...

mamadiva Fri 24-Oct-08 11:51:35

I'd rather not give money if it can be avoided as am skint but quite like the idea of the lager but wouldnt want to put it out incase of bloody thieves taking it.

I realise im being overly para but you never know and itd be my luck.

Anymore suggestions of what to give

Sycamoretree Fri 24-Oct-08 11:51:57

Cleaner.

The dude that parks the cars at my office (don't ask!).

Milkman

And I guess this year, the nursery staff at DD's nursery.

wingandprayer Fri 24-Oct-08 11:53:46

I give the window cleaners double time for last one before Christmas (but they are v fit so really it's a thank you for keeping a married lady happy and working without their shirts on between march and september grin)

Milkman gets extra £10.

I don't tip bin men, nor post man, but the postie is nice bloke and has been with us all year so might start that one.

Nursery girls get posh biscuits/chocs

Should I tip cleaner though? She has only been with me since September. She is very good, though not cheap at £10/hour already.

Tiggiwinkle Fri 24-Oct-08 11:55:52

We give the paperboy some money in a card.

Tends not to be the usual postman at Christmas round here (They seem to use temps then) so don't give anything to them.

CountessDracula Fri 24-Oct-08 11:57:12

Cleaner
Dogwalker
Nanny and her dd (not that she does a lot for us now, just babysitting)
Teacher and TA
Binmen £10
Paper boy £10

HappyMummyOfOne Fri 24-Oct-08 12:25:20

We dont have the same postman every week so never bothered tipping the postie, dont have a paperboy or milkman and we dont tip the bin men as they dont do anything extra.

I do give the windoe cleaner a little extra or maybe will buy some beer. The lovely courier who brings my next orders gets a nice box of chocs as she's fab.

Teacher, TA and the before/after school club staff get a nice present as they are heavily involved in DS's life and I know how hard they work doing all the extras at the school etc.

jelliebelly Fri 24-Oct-08 12:32:05

Window cleaner £10
postman £10
nursery - nice big box of thorntons chocs
cleaner - molton brown pressie
ironing lady - molton brown pressie
never see the binmen but 24cans of lager idea sounds like a good one!

CharleeInChains Fri 24-Oct-08 12:34:40

We have a take away on xmas eve and we always tip the delivery driver. grin

Tiggiwinkle Fri 24-Oct-08 12:37:20

Oh and we always give the teachers and TAs gifts. (Can get expensive when they have job share teachers as several of my DSs have in the past!)

bellavita Fri 24-Oct-08 12:40:12

Window cleaner, post lady, teachers.

The bin men in Germany used to come around the week before Xmas and knock on all the doors to "Wish you and your family a very Happy Xmas".

My neighbour told me that she was amazed at how friendly the binmen were, she wished them a Merry Xmas and a Happy New Year and sent them on their way.

She was so surprised when I asked how much she had given them.

I thought it was very cheeky but always gave them a tenner anyway.

Our lovely postie always got a tenner too and the cleaner got a bit extra the week before Xmas.

PuppyMonkey Fri 24-Oct-08 12:47:14

no-one

And no-one tips me for doing my job either..

katie3677 Fri 24-Oct-08 12:47:56

I give the postie and the binmen £10 each, nursery staff get a present (last year we made chocolates and wrapped them prettily).Cleaner gets a big tin of quality street or something similar.

ScottishMummy Fri 24-Oct-08 12:51:11

nursery staff yes they are fab.LOL tip the postie,bin men?dont make me laugh

A tip for delivering the wrong mail, putting "sorry you were out" cards through door when i am clearly and audibly in

tip the bin men for strewing rubbish around

nah

a tip is acknowledgement of good service.they dont provide good service ime

oh and i know someone will rock up with my DH is the postie/bin man and they work really hard for little recognition

True some do - just not mine

idobelieveinghosts Fri 24-Oct-08 12:51:43

The next delivery man will be getting a tip this christmas....between me and my neighbour he is always around delivering stuff.

Not that i order an awful lot but this time around a lot of stock has been out of stock so it is always coming in seperate little parcels....we do have 2 flights of stairs too.

CharleeInChains Fri 24-Oct-08 12:55:27

Part of me would love to tipo my milkman, i never see him but my milk is always here by 6am! But i am to skint to buy him something so i was going to bake some cookies and put them in a box and leave them out with the empties for him with a note of thanks but im not sure if thats a bit naff?

jenk1 Fri 24-Oct-08 13:03:14

not naff at all charlie i think thats a lovely idea smile

omeNofthefleshes Fri 24-Oct-08 13:04:53

we get
teacher and ta
binmen
postie
window cleaner
nursery staff

CharleeInChains Fri 24-Oct-08 13:06:10

Oh thats ok then i don't want him to think im tight and leave something nasty in my milk. grin

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now