Talk

Advanced search

Fisher Price kid-tough digital camera?

(11 Posts)
My2Monkeys Wed 22-Oct-08 19:45:19

I'm thinking of getting one of these for our 4-year-old for Christmas - any thoughts? He's always asking to try my digital camera and would love to practice taking pictures, but just isn't old enough for a "real" one imo - especially since he also has a 2-year-old brother who'd definitely want to borrow it. I'm thinking of getting him a sturdy kids' one to learn on, and then give him a second-hand "proper" one (maybe mine, when I upgrade!) in 2-3 years' time - hopefully his brother can then inherit the kiddie one.

Anyone got experience with this? I've read some reviews that say the picture quality is rubbish, but I'm hoping the newer model is a bit better? Also, I don't think they'd really need to be great printable quality, just good enough for him to look at on the computer - or am I deluding myself and he'd tire of it really quickly?

They're about £60 on Amazon, but I think I can get one for around £40 on Ebay, is that still too much?

Thanks!

My2Monkeys Wed 22-Oct-08 19:48:45

Oops, sorry, no idea why this thread posted twice - I didn't refresh the page, honest blush

Is there a moderator who can delete one of them please? Thanks!

jenkel Thu 23-Oct-08 21:35:59

We bought a cheap ordinary digital camera last year for my 4 year old dd, she loves it and can take pretty good pictures, my friend bought the Fisher Price one for her dd, which was twice as expensive as ours and even a competent adult cant take a good picture with it, her daughter has now given up and its in the bottom of the cupboard, where as our cheap digital one still has lots of use, OK, its a bit battered, but it still works and takes pretty good photos, not bad for £30. So I really wouldnt bother unless you know that its been upgraded.

JHKE Sat 25-Oct-08 07:31:20

Toysrus have them in for £29.99 - these are not the waterproof ones though. My brother has just brought them for our 2 children. HTH.

thehouseofmirth Sun 26-Oct-08 07:53:45

FWIT my 3 yo DS has been using my digital camera for about 6 months without incident. I think because it's a proper camea he is much more understanding about treating it with respect and he's taken some realy fab photos too.

Marne Sun 26-Oct-08 11:01:38

We are going to toysrus today to look for them (if they have any in stock), they have sold out online sad

busymummy77 Sun 26-Oct-08 13:41:49

I have a 4.5 year old son and have got him the v tech one. I know the picture quality is not great but like you i have a 2 year old as well. We decided to buy the kids camera and see how he gets on with it. His younger sister can then have that and we will buy him a cheap proper digital camera when he is a bit older. I can see it getting dropped and broken within the first few weeks. x

HappyMummyOfOne Sun 26-Oct-08 14:30:22

DS had one last christmas, rough and tumble wise they are great as can be dropped etc.

He had no interest in printing the pics so cant advise re quality.

I did pay full price and he has only used it half a dozen times and quickly tires of it so wasnt worth the money to me.

policywonk Sun 26-Oct-08 14:45:41

Just a cautionary tale for those of you who might be considering letting your DCs play with the household camera: we let DS1 play with ours for a while without incident, until one day he dropped it and shattered the LCD screen, rendering it useless.

Not so bad if it's a cheap £20 one (although I've never seen a new digi camera for £20); a bit more painful when it was our main household camera and the replacement cost £50. This is why I'll be buying DS1 a rubber VTech camera this Christmas!

Horton Sun 26-Oct-08 14:45:57

Hi, my daughter aged two has one. The screen is a bit fuzzy but the quality of the pictures viewed on the PC or printed at standard snapshot size is perfectly okay. They're very easy to use (DD got it for her second birthday and had it figured out in a matter of minutes) and very tough. She uses it all the time. We have a fine selection of pictures of various cats and teddies and snack items.

ladypinky Sun 26-Oct-08 20:45:10

Yes, they are great for young children my dd loves hers. I think they are expensive but if you can get a bargain go for it, very easy to use and for them to hold.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now