Talk

Advanced search

Fisher Price kid-tough digital camera?

(10 Posts)
My2Monkeys Wed 22-Oct-08 19:45:17

I'm thinking of getting one of these for our 4-year-old for Christmas - any thoughts? He's always asking to try my digital camera and would love to practice taking pictures, but just isn't old enough for a "real" one imo - especially since he also has a 2-year-old brother who'd definitely want to borrow it. I'm thinking of getting him a sturdy kids' one to learn on, and then give him a second-hand "proper" one (maybe mine, when I upgrade!) in 2-3 years' time - hopefully his brother can then inherit the kiddie one.

Anyone got experience with this? I've read some reviews that say the picture quality is rubbish, but I'm hoping the newer model is a bit better? Also, I don't think they'd really need to be great printable quality, just good enough for him to look at on the computer - or am I deluding myself and he'd tire of it really quickly?

They're about £60 on Amazon, but I think I can get one for around £40 on Ebay, is that still too much?

Thanks!

Eddas Wed 22-Oct-08 19:57:59

this thread show it's somewhere cheaper atm

there were loads of threads about these last year, i think i started onegrin I ended up getting my dd(3.6 at the time) a v-tech one. TBH the picture quality is pretty bad, but she's happy just taking little snaps and seeing the pics. Has never asked for them to be printed. I can't remember what people said about the Fisher Price one, i went for v-tech as it was reduced in Wooliesblush

If you do get one shops seem to reduce them before christmas so make sure you look around. And the savings threads on here are normally pretty good with sharing offers seen on things like thissmile

My2Monkeys Wed 22-Oct-08 20:15:59

Thanks Eddas! Shoot, toysrus seems to be sold out, but you're right, I'll keep looking around for a better deal. Thanks for the tip!

nancy75 Wed 22-Oct-08 20:20:24

i got one yesterday in toys r us for £30, you probably have to go to the shop to get one rather than online

Cauldronfrau Wed 22-Oct-08 20:25:32

Message withdrawn at poster's request.

Marne Wed 22-Oct-08 20:36:23

dd wants one too but can't afford £60 on top of the other things she wants. Argos have them on offer (out of stock in most stores) and toys r us are out of stock sad

ilovecake Wed 22-Oct-08 23:07:21

We bought Vtech one last year as it was reduced on Amazon and had more features - some little games, add ons for photos. Has been a real hit with DD (5) and now DS (2) who can operate it. Picture quality of no real issue as only really viewed them on tv or computer then delete and start again! They dont care if its not a david bailey image. My daughter took 200 photos within 2 hours on xmas day last year - we erased the card 3 times on that day alone. I highly recommend the Vtech.

ilovecake Wed 22-Oct-08 23:08:24

Can also take video with vtech - not sure if can with FP. Again shaky quality but dd doesnt care when she is mking silly shows with friends whilst they talk about bums.

madrose Wed 22-Oct-08 23:09:43

just brought a pink child's camera from next for £15.

Eddas Thu 23-Oct-08 08:43:48

i got it wrong when i said we got dd a v-tech oneblush it's actually little tikes. I wouldn't recommend it though. Picture quality is rubbish. DD doesn't cre though, and it does stand up to lots of dropping. Not worth £60 or whatever it should've cost though, IMO. We paid £30 i think, but still probably isn't worth that.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now