Talk

Advanced search

OK - I need to buy two baby dolls. Which are worth it? Any good/bad?

(29 Posts)
RubyRioja Tue 21-Oct-08 19:05:08

After a lot of resisting dollies and stereotypes, my dds want baby dolls for xmas. They are aged 6 and 3. Presumably they will require a complete layette and equipment too.

So are any nice/nasty?

Are the expensive ones nicer? What happens if you take them in the bath (I think this is dd's plan!).

Any tips welcome!

WindUpBird Wed 22-Oct-08 08:04:10

Hi, DD, 2.5, has 'Baby Luke' from ELC. He is all dressed in blue so we tried to resist the stereotype that way wink He is now called 'Poppy and he's a boy'. Anyway, he doesn't do anything, he is just a squashy-bodied doll. DDs friends have Baby Annabels which do things like cry and suck etc, they give me the heeby-jeebies so I prefer them mute.
Recently had to buy DD a new doll as she was in hospital for an op and she requested a 'new doll like Poppy' (not some lovely rag doll handwoven in jute from a fairtrade cooperative in Sri Lanka, sigh). So I bought a 'You and Me doll' from Toys R Us <<shudder>> website (there are hundreds to choose from). It is vile and smells of fake baby powder, but DD loves it. I think the ELC doll is better quality (clothes are not so hideously nylon!)
There is a special one, babyborn?, built to go in the bath, think I saw it on the J Lewis website.
HTH

Gipfeli Wed 22-Oct-08 08:18:48

Corolle Dolls are quite nice (as dolls go!)

RubyRioja Wed 22-Oct-08 08:31:08

Oh we had a corrolle for dd1! She was less 'nasty' though I remember her clothes cost more than dds grin

lizziemun Wed 22-Oct-08 09:30:20

A lot of dolls do not have solid bodies so can not go in the bath.

Anna8888 Wed 22-Oct-08 09:34:49

Agree that Corolle does a good range of dolls. They are very clear (on the packaging) about which dolls can and can not go in the bath.

frazzled74 Wed 22-Oct-08 09:47:11

my dd has a baby annabel and a baby born. I much prefer babyborn and it can go in the bath, i find baby annabel quite creepy!

RubyRioja Wed 22-Oct-08 09:50:33

I actually think the baby doll accessories are more expensive than real baby kit!

Of course, I like the wooden simple versions, the dds are looking at the disneyesque glittery princess cots grin.

AM not anti - just have better taste!

FossilSister Wed 22-Oct-08 09:51:41

Baby Annabel is hilarious. She sucks a dummy / bottle (no breast is best) till she falls asleep, then if you wake her she cries until you sing / cuddle. Best thing is she burps when she has enough bottle. My DDs just try and make her do that. She is quite big for a little one but they don't seem to care. My DDs same age as yours and we got her last Xmas. DD2 loves her but DD1 not interested. I think it's fine to have a baby doll around if you would also do it for a boy. My sister has 3 boys and they have an Annabel and buggy.

FiveGoMadInDorset Wed 22-Oct-08 09:52:16

DD has Baby Born, no batteries, doesn't do anything but she can bath it, dress it feed it, but it is quiet and was about £15 from ToysRUs

SheSellsSeashellsByTheSeashore Wed 22-Oct-08 09:54:13

Baby born is the best fo bathing I think but all the kids here seem to like Annabel the best. Poor baby born is locked in bathroom.

Oh and they both fit tesco newborn clothes, their own outfits are something silly like £30 each!!!!!!! Annabel wears dd2's old clothes and gets a nice Cherokee dress every xmas smile baby born wears dd2's old swimming costume.

There is a new baby born out that swims apparently.

RubyRioja Wed 22-Oct-08 10:03:16

grin at swimming baby!
We woudl deffo have a doll for a boy too

MilaMae Wed 22-Oct-08 10:25:36

We have Annabel and a wooden cot (the Pintoy swinging flowery pink one, it was a compromise). She has the wooden Pintoy high chair which she adores. She did get given the Annabel Rock a Tot last year another fav. That will be it re the stuff that goes with it as having just de-babied my house I can't face falling over travel cots,changing stations etc when I haven't even got a baby grin

DD adores Annabel(the sucking,crying etc,she can be switched off) but has her eye on swimming BBorn which I refuse to buy as it's smaller than the normal BBorn so won't fit anything.

My idea is to buy the normal size BBorn (she would like the ethnic one but having probs tracking it down)and get her the swimsuit in the summer. She'll never be getting the castle,pony,car et al and she knows that and isn't at all bothered. I really begrudge buying another doll but it's all she'd like for Xmas.

My mum just got all my old dolls clothes(rem Tiny Tears) out of the attic grin She made her a tiny taggy which is cute.

If it was me I'd get 2 Annabels and a cheap Woolies doll to sling in the sandpit and bath and hope she never sees an advert for Baby Born (learn from my mistake)

Snozcumber Wed 22-Oct-08 10:30:45

We have "Tiny Tears Best Friends" 2 dolls together (1 dressed in blue, 1 in pink) £20 from boots. They are soft bodied, but ours go in the bath, my DD's are nearly 4 and 2 1/2 so they never have any clothes on and are filthy!! So we bath like real babies and then just put them on the rad to dry (on a towel so no direct contact)

They are very popular in our house, we have other ones but these are the favourites!! (They are scented though, which is a bit weird until it wears off)
HTH

RubyRioja Wed 22-Oct-08 10:33:02

Have ordered a baby Annabel buggy (£12) with good reviews and a Pliko reduced to £15 (more good reviews) so just need babies to go in them!

Have discovered dolly clothes bought previously in sale then stashed, so need to find dolls they will fit!

RubyRioja Wed 22-Oct-08 10:33:33

Oh I had a tiny tears!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
retro nostlagia moment

MurderAtTheDiscoDizzy Wed 22-Oct-08 10:34:16

Baby Born is £15.00 at Tesco though out of stock at moment and £17.50 at The Toy Shop

RubyRioja Wed 22-Oct-08 10:37:40

bloody hell, some of those are scary!
Am surprisingly rubbish at dolls considering I have 3 dds

Marne Wed 22-Oct-08 10:41:01

We bought baby born from the 'toy shop' for £17.50 for dd1 for x-mas, now i'm looking for a doll for dd2 which can feed from a bottle hmm.

Dd wants the swimming baby born or the chou chou my first tooth, i hope she is'nt disapointed when she un-wraps baby born.

jenk1 Wed 22-Oct-08 10:44:36

dd says she wants a "mummy make me better" doll, and im not sure which one that is,could anyone advise?

TIA

RubyRioja Wed 22-Oct-08 10:45:36

aha
Chou chouc
Mummy make me better doll £29.96 Argos

Marne Wed 22-Oct-08 10:47:33

We bought 'mummy make me better' last x-mas, dd has'nt played with it so ive put it on e-bay, dd is a bit of a tom boy so we thought we would try baby born (boy)

jenk1 Wed 22-Oct-08 10:49:28

thanks,is it a good doll or do you think she,d be better with annabel or baby born,basically she wont prob play with it (she has ASD) but will drag it around the house,throw it in the bath and ignore it,is it worth that amount of money!!!!

Marne Wed 22-Oct-08 10:54:20

I like the 'mummy makes me better' doll, it has a soft body and is easy to play with.

Dd2 has ASD and has just started showing interest in shoving a bottle in a dolls mouth, i was thinking of getting her 'my first baby born' or 'annabell'.

Bby born can be bathed.

jenk1 Wed 22-Oct-08 11:01:02

right,thanks for that info marne,

see i can show her them and ask her to choose but she,d get very anxious and say i want that to all of them!!!!!

will have a proper look at them on the argos site.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now