Talk

Advanced search

Home made fudge - what could I add?

(18 Posts)
JackieNoHeadJustABloodyStump Sun 19-Oct-08 13:04:15

I've just made Nigella's fudge, which is vanilla flavoured (and was very impressed at how easy and quick it is to do). So what could I add to it to make it more festive, for giving to people as Christmas presents? Raisins, or other dried fruit. Chopped nuts, I guess. How would one make chocolate fudge? Any ideas welcome grin.

cherryliquormonster Sun 19-Oct-08 13:30:34

i have a recipe for easy chocolate fudge. hang on i will find it and post it for you

amanda12 Sun 19-Oct-08 13:39:54

What about adding dried cranberries. That would be quite festive

AbbaFan Sun 19-Oct-08 13:39:58

I am going to make a white choc fudge with dried cranberries, and a milk one with hazelnuts this year.

My choc one is a nigella recipe, from the Express book, if you want it let me know.

JackieNoHeadJustABloodyStump Sun 19-Oct-08 13:47:47

Yes please to all recipes - thank you all - that would be fab smile. I also had a thought that I could soak raisins in brandy, and add them - might be nice.

AbbaFan Sun 19-Oct-08 13:55:21

350g dark chocolate 70% cocoa
1 x 397g can condensed milk
30g butter
150g pistachios

You can change the chocolate to milk, white whatever. Also change the nuts to something different or dried fruit.

Then you basicially melt all the ingredients (minus the fruit / nuts). Add the nuts / fruit and then put into a dish to set in the fridge.

You can store it in the freezer, and it can be eaten straight away.

JackieNoHeadJustABloodyStump Sun 19-Oct-08 13:57:00

Thank you so much AbbaFan - I remember seeing her make it now I see the recipe, but I don't have Nigella Express.

wannaBe Sun 19-Oct-08 13:57:38

try grating in a terries chocolate orange. (at the end for choc orange fudge)

or a mint aero.

JackieNoHeadJustABloodyStump Sun 19-Oct-08 13:58:23

Mmmm - sounds good too. Thanks wannaBe grin.

AbbaFan Sun 19-Oct-08 13:59:57

Thats ok smile

I give mine out in cute little bags with bright red ribbon.

JackieNoHeadJustABloodyStump Sun 19-Oct-08 14:01:30

Yes - that's the next thing. How to package it up. I know Lakeland do the cellophane bags. Might investigate pound shops or charity shops for pretty bowls/baskets.

cherryliquormonster Sun 19-Oct-08 14:26:30

i have a recipe for easy chocolate fudge. hang on i will find it and post it for you

MurderousMarla Sun 19-Oct-08 14:27:22

You could do plain fudge with a layer of chocolate on top? Mmmmm.

deanychip Sun 19-Oct-08 15:35:20

oh what a fantastic idea, can i ask though, how long does it last once made up?
I mean, if i make it a week before, will it be ok or not?

Can any one post a link for the nigella recipe, and at what point do you grate in the choc orange?

JackieNoHeadJustABloodyStump Sun 19-Oct-08 16:11:40

I'm not sure how long the vanilla fudge lasts once it's made - anyone know?

The white choc with dried cranberries one that AbbaFan posted can be kept in the freezer, so maybe try that one?

The recipe I used was for a more 'traditional' fudge - it's:

500g caster sugar
50g unsalted butter
100ml evaporated milk
1 teaspoon vanilla extract

Put the sugar, butter and evap milk in a heavy bottomed pan, melt together, bring to the boil. Boil gently, stirring occasionally. Carry on until a sugar thermometer reaches 115 deg C, or until a drop of the mixture dropped into a bowl of iced water holds its shape (this is what I did - don't have a sugar thermometer). This will take between five and ten minutes (felt like less to me). Take the pan off the heat, beat in the vanilla, and continue beating till it becomes thick and creamy - almost grainy. Then pour into a buttered tin (20 x 16 cm, or 15 x 12.5cm foil tin, buttered) and allow to cool. Cut into squares.

AbbaFan Sun 19-Oct-08 16:16:33

Fudge should keep ok upto a month I would think. I am going to make mine no more than 2 weeks before I give it out.

Once you hand it out, im sure it won't last long anyway grin

I was thinking about putting some Grand Marnier in mine. Has anyone tried putting a liquer in theirs, and did it set ok?

EdinburghFudge Thu 04-Jun-09 17:58:39

We have a fudge business - take a look at the website for ingredient ideas

www.edinburghfudge.co.uk

depending on the ingredients you can keep homemade fudge for at least 6-8 weeks - just keep in a cool dry place out of sun light

ICA1 Tue 30-Nov-10 16:21:50

I have a recipie that has Bailey and White Chocolate in very festive and very yummy...

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, watch threads, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now »

Already registered? Log in with: