Talk

Advanced search

When did your kids get the strange idea that FC does not exist - and what did you do?

(8 Posts)
SmileyMylee Sat 18-Oct-08 23:09:17

Had a friend (8 years old) over for a playdate and over tea she announced to my DD8, DD6 and DS3 that FC does not exist and that your mum leaves the presents.

I didn't know what to say, and was saved by my DD 6 who said that she had seen FC last year and that she received a present that she had told FC about but not mummy, so of course he left the presents.

Thought I'd got away with it, but then DD8 asked why they had to take in shoe boxes of toys for children to school if FC brought them - had those children been very naughty?

Luckily pudding was ready and I had to rush around putting this out.

Any suggestions on how I handle this with the older one and the younger ones?

HRHSaintMamazon Sat 18-Oct-08 23:13:32

ds has been telling me that Fc doesnt exist. he is far too analytical about things and has a perfectly logical theory -mum buys it all. hmm

but DD, 4. has now pickedup on it and i dont want her to.
think i may give in after this year and if he still wont allow the fantasy to continue then i will sit him downa nd tell him that he is right, but that we want Dd to enjoy the fantasy a bit longer nad let him have it as his own secret mission (which he will love) to keep Dd in teh dark.

cherryliquormonster Sat 18-Oct-08 23:28:32

ds1 (now 9) picked up on this idea about two or three years ago and tried to convince ds2 (now 7)that fc wasnt real. i combatted this by starting to do them all santa sacks filled with goodies. most of the stuff doesnt cost more than a couple of pounds and they are all individually wrapped but not labelled. as far as they are concerned santa brings them on xmas eve as xmas morning is the only time they see them all year. also we track santa on xmas eve on the norad website. it seems to work , and ds1 hasnt tried to convince ds2 or the dd's that he is not real since.

childrenofthecornsilk Sat 18-Oct-08 23:31:02

my ds(year 6) has been told that for years by his mates, but still believes. This year I would rather he didn't believe TBH, as he is expecting FC to deliver some top notch stuff, but I'm not gonna tell him.

SmileyMylee Sat 18-Oct-08 23:52:03

cherryliquormonster - what's the norad website?

kid Sun 19-Oct-08 21:59:00

My sister tells her son that if he doesn't want to believe in FC then that is up to him. But that if he doesn't believe, then FC won't bring him any presents!

My DS is 6 and asks far too many questions. He wants to know all the details about how exactly he gets into our house, how can he deliver presents to everyone all in one night, etc.

For the past few years we have left out milk, cookies and a carrot. I love the kids reaction when they get up in the morning and see that FC has been.

The down side is, my DC are convinced that FC got them a brand new bike each and a DS each. It makes it look like me and DH didn't really get them anything!

anniebear Mon 20-Oct-08 11:57:03

DD found out last summer when she was 6

she had been asking questions for so long and coming up with all ideas as to why he couldnt be real

In the end I just agred with her but told her to tel no one!! (she probably did!!)

I couldnt carry on telling her he was real

shes not bothered as long as she gets pressies!!

anniebear Mon 20-Oct-08 11:58:52

kid , in that case, give them presents off FC then your main present leave to the end and say this is off Mummy and Daddy

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now