Talk

Advanced search

those christmas 'shoe box for needy children' appeals, are there any that are legit?

(15 Posts)
lucykate Sat 18-Oct-08 08:46:08

dd has been given a leaflet about one from school, but on researching it on the web, it is not what it seems and has had quite bad press. dd really wants to do it though, does anyone have any suggestions of a reputable one please?

PortAndDemon Sat 18-Oct-08 08:50:10

Link Romania is supposed to be a good (and ethically sound) one. And I think the Rotary Club may organise one.

ChocolateEclair Sat 18-Oct-08 09:24:31

At our school we have done Operation Christmas Child boxes through Samaritans Purse for several years. AFAIK it's very worthwhile and we always get feedback about children receiving gifts for the first time ever in their lives.
here

HTH

AnarchyAunt Sat 18-Oct-08 09:36:00

More about Samaritans Purse here and here

Personally I'd go for a scheme that did not have an evangelical element to the distribution of aid.

Furball Sat 18-Oct-08 09:46:22

support our soldiers

\lin{http://www.rotary1280.org/shoebox\the rotary club}

Furball Sat 18-Oct-08 09:47:26

sorry

support our soliders

ChocolateEclair Sat 18-Oct-08 09:49:11

Oh, AA that has really upset me. I had no idea sad.....thought we were all doing a really nice thing

nannyL Sat 18-Oct-08 09:55:21

My charges school did one by the rotary club

it didnt even occur to me that it sould be anything other than legit hmm sad

Furball Sat 18-Oct-08 09:55:35

of FGS meant

the rotary club

Furball Sat 18-Oct-08 09:56:06

the rotary one AFAIK legit

SoMuchToBats Sat 18-Oct-08 10:00:33

Our school used to do Operation Christmas Child, but this year are doing Link Romania. I think several parents were unhappy with Christmas Child.

Personally I wouldn't do Christmas child because of the evangelical aspect. But we are going to do the Link Romania this year.

inscotland Sat 18-Oct-08 10:47:42

Phillip and Fearn on This Morning usually do one.

lucykate Sat 18-Oct-08 22:54:27

thanks for all the suggestions

aa - it is the samaritans one that dd has a leaflet for, i'm quite cross with the school for handing the leaflets out, i don't think they have done their research. as soon as i saw it, i remembered it being discussed on mn last year and about that some of these schemes were a bit dodgy.

in fact, i'm sure last year a mn who lived in europe (can't remember exactly where or who it was) posted to say her dc's came home from school with a shoe box full of gifts, and she was really surprised they had been given one as they were not really underprivileged

PortAndDemon Sat 18-Oct-08 22:58:44

This is that thread you mentioned, lucykate.

lucykate Sat 18-Oct-08 23:02:53

yes!!, that's the one, you know when you kind of half remember reading something and are not sure if you are remembering it right. as soon as dd handed me the leaflet, it was a vague memory of that thread that came into my head.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now