Talk

Advanced search

how do you make letters whoosh up the chimney?

(24 Posts)

Message withdrawn at poster's request.

Bleedodgy Fri 17-Oct-08 12:49:59

Magic.

Katw3kitts Fri 17-Oct-08 12:50:36

grin

TrinityLovesHerVampireRhino Fri 17-Oct-08 12:51:46

its magic of course

<whispers> we have not tried it yet, dont think it'll work, remember my dad doing it though

ShinyHappyPurpleSeveredHeads Fri 17-Oct-08 12:51:58

Only Disney with help from Pixar can do this. NOT to be tried at home.

Rubyrubyruby Fri 17-Oct-08 12:52:40

Bleedodgy Fri 17-Oct-08 12:54:40

Get your dh to stand on the roof and suck with a big straw throgh the chimney?

flowerybeanbag Fri 17-Oct-08 12:54:42

Open a door or window to create a draft?

Bleedodgy Fri 17-Oct-08 12:55:21

IOn fact send dh on the roof with a plugged in hoover?

BCNS Fri 17-Oct-08 12:56:15

i now have an immage of said letters whizzing up and out of the chimney and landing in the garden!!

Dropdeadfred Fri 17-Oct-08 13:06:00

and set your chimney on fire....hmm

Dropdeadfred Fri 17-Oct-08 13:16:01

well we had a coal fire as a child and my brother was a bit of a pyromaniac - he would often lights strips of newspaper and watch the flying up the chimney...I remember at least two occasions where the fire brigade were called (by our neighbours!!) blush

Dropdeadfred Fri 17-Oct-08 13:19:18

if it's a gas fire surely the chimney is not open???

TwoFoggyToSee Sat 18-Oct-08 14:16:22

use the post office they even reply

PortAndDemon Mon 20-Oct-08 14:54:43

I remember reading in a book once that you need to open the door to the room at the criticl moment, although now I can't really see how that would make much diference.

Simplysally Mon 20-Oct-08 14:55:52

Get Mary Poppins

woodstock3 Sat 25-Oct-08 22:41:45

you need a real fire. friends whose kids i used to babysit for used to do this and we have done it too (ds is too little to be impressed but my niece was).
with an open fire it's easy - the fire just needs to be going well.
tell the dc that THE SECOND the letter goes they must rush out of the house to see if they can catch father christmas who will of course be swooping down to the roof to pick it up. if they are fast enough they might see him
hold the letter (single sheet of paper only) just at the top of the fireplace hole ifyswim (ie above the flames, just under the mantelpiece). and let go. the updraught will carry the letter with it. the dc will shoot out of the door like rats out of a trap so if it falls back down they'll never notice. grin
practice first to make sure it works - if your chimney draws badly it wont. i dont think it would work with a gas fire but you can try using the above method and see if it does.
the only snags are you get a bit of flammable paper stuck up your chimney. and if you dont read it first you wont know what your dcs want for chritmas grin

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now