Talk

Advanced search

so what would you pay for christmas cards, paper etc?

(6 Posts)
mumoverseas Tue 14-Oct-08 07:23:01

I'm living in Saudi Arabia where christmas is banned! You can't therefore get cards and other christmas stuff here so a lot of us ladies 'smuggle' stuff in from the UK and sell it on our compounds or at coffee mornings. A friend and I are selling 'ready made' cards and giftwrap, giftbags, tags etc. I was pricing them at SR2 (around 30p) for a card/sheet of paper), around 15p for a nice tag and around £1.50 for a nice gift bag with tissue paper and tag. The profit from our sales will go to two womens charities, one in UK and one in Australia. I was amazed yesterday to go to a coffee morning and see ladies selling home made (very nice I must say) christmas cards for around £3.85 each. Yes each! Would people really pay that?
Obviously, we want to make a nice amount of money for our charity but surely our prices must be realistic? what would you pay?
thanks in advance for your thoughts!

FourArms Tue 14-Oct-08 07:27:12

I would be happy to pay more for a hand made card, than a standard 'shop' card. Boxes of cards are really cheap, depending upon the make. If it's for charity, do you advertise that fact? I'd probably pay more in that case.

mumoverseas Tue 14-Oct-08 07:32:02

thanks for your reply. the cards we have are really good quality and we do advertise that proceeds to charity. To be honest, if it was a 'special' card, ie parent/husband etc I'd pay a bit more but surely people won't be buying cards for that much for just friends/neighbours etc? 30p compared to £3.85? Am I mad? (or tight?)

FourArms Tue 14-Oct-08 07:36:23

Yes, I think that you're probably right. However, I'd like the option to buy both. Special cards and standard ones. I'm certainly too tight sensible to spend £3.85 each on cards for my neighbours!

Flamesparrow Tue 14-Oct-08 07:58:57

If you have a captive market though, you can charge whatever you like tbh and people will pay it.

mumoverseas Tue 14-Oct-08 08:28:29

I guess you are right but I think some of the people out here basically take the p* because as you say, they have a captive market. I just want to sell the cards, get what I paid for them back, make some money for charity and let people get good value cards/paper etc. I think its unfair to charge so much what with the credit crunch and rising cost of living.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now