Advertisement

loader

Talk

Advanced search

Older teenagers and christmas......

(14 Posts)
blossomsmine Thu 09-Oct-08 20:51:58

I love love love Christmas and have always done the kids stockings and then piles of presents under the tree. What does everyone else do as the kids get older? I have two that are 17 and 18 and when i asked them what they wanted this year they said, no stockings and just money....but then i have the other teenager who is alot younger and still 'childish' (iyswim!!) do i just give stuff to the younger one and the others just sit there and watch? Or do the older ones not really mean it and will be disappointed on Christmas morning....???? Oh what a dilema! Anyone with teenagers been through this before?

BlueBumedFly Thu 09-Oct-08 20:56:18

I think the older ones would feel left out when push came to shove. Perhaps put useful things in? Or how about do a few funnies like a book of a few 'taxi' vouchers to say you will collect them (time dependent!!) from a party of their choice?

What do they like doing? What do they hate spending their money on that you could put in the stocking for them? Deoderent? Hair stuff? Perhaps a few cinema vouchers?

idobelieveinghosts Fri 10-Oct-08 13:05:23

I would still get them some bits to open tbh..mine have previously asked for consoles and i warned them thats all they would get and they agreed, but when it came down to it i had to buy them a few bits..like new pj's...smellies, chocs,fake poo etc

themoon666 Fri 10-Oct-08 13:06:41

They still get a selection box in this house. grin

fizzbuzz Fri 10-Oct-08 13:30:24

Mine gets an advent calendar blush, and gets really upset if he doesn't get one.

girlywhirly Fri 10-Oct-08 13:39:28

itunes voucher/card?
mobile top-up?
gift bag full of funsize Mars or whatever their fave is?

seeker Fri 10-Oct-08 13:44:09

I would be outraged if my child said that - but I would also be amazed if they weren't disappointed if you take them at their word.

But I never do money for Christmas. Birthdays, yes, but Christmas means presents.

chopchopbusybusy Fri 10-Oct-08 13:45:58

I'd find this really hard too. I'm not quite there yet as DD1 is (almost) 15. I'd say make sure they really are happy with receiving just money, so that they will not be expecting presents, but I'd still do stockings with things you know they will appreciate (favourite smellies, chocolate, sweets, book, magazine etc).

pagwatch Fri 10-Oct-08 13:48:52

My poor old DCs.
If they ever ask for money for xmas they will get nowt.

I don't 'do' money as a gift
( except in very rare and specific cases)
( well actually just the once)
My Ds1 is 15 and still loves the przzie thing. he would never ask for money because he would not want to spoil the day for his sibs

blossomsmine Fri 10-Oct-08 22:00:00

Ok, the general feeling is to still do a stocking then, which makes me happy as i love doing that smile

I think, tbh that the older kids asking for money, although it doesn't sound like it, is actually them trying to be sensible (not greedy honest!) We are quite hard up at the moment, one of them has just started uni and we are finding it abit of a struggle, she can't get a part time job as she is now on a placement and it is shift work. So money is tight and they are more than likely asking for money as it pays for the practical stuff to get them by week by week, petrol etc., Sad but this year there probably won't be much cash around for 'frivilous' pressies...
I can still fill stockings with practical and fun small things that won't break the bank. Thanks for your advice as i really didn't want to stop the stockings!!

herbietea Fri 10-Oct-08 22:04:25

Message withdrawn

mumeeee Fri 10-Oct-08 22:32:36

I have 3 girls aged 21,18 and 16 they do ask for some money but also like having something to open. They all still love having stockings. In fact DH and I do one for each other!

lilolilmanchester Fri 10-Oct-08 22:35:35

not quite there yet, but my Mum still makes me and DB (and our partners/kids) a stocking. Wouldn't be Christmas without it for all it was a bit embarrassing as a teenager. Personally, would make them stockings and give a cheque. Which means I am turning into my mother shock

GrapefruitMoon Sat 11-Oct-08 10:17:44

A friend of mine always used to get her Christmas presents after Christmas - she and her mum would go shopping in the sales! Obviously she got more that way but I always thought it was a bit sad. Don't know if she had anything to open on the day itself...

So I think yes, get small presents/do a stocking and give them the money they want. My mum was still buying us selection boxes well into adulthood!

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now