Talk

Advanced search

Best childhood christmas memories

(18 Posts)
magicofchristmas Tue 07-Oct-08 19:20:29

What christmas as a child sticks in your mind, and why?

I have 3.

No.1 when I was about 5 I got up late to get a drink and walked into the front room to find parents,bros and sisters (all much older than me) spread across the room trying to hide all the pressies they were in the middle of arranging.

No.2 Again, I was very young and the only thing I had asked for was a wendy house, nothing else, and I walked into my parents room soooooo excited to see it there, I couldn't care less thats all I got as it was all I ever wanted. Of course when I tried to get into it it was impossible as it was stacked full

No.3 I had asked FC many times for a real grown up watch, and at the very bottom of my last sack of parcels it was there, I rushed thru to parents shouting "I almost fell thru the floor with shock, look what santa brought me" (sounded hillarios in broad scots coming from a 6?? year old.

Oh to be young and innocent again {goes off in a dream)

RiallyEeRiaee Tue 07-Oct-08 20:54:10

funny, I was telling DS1 about this the other day. My Granny used to come and sleep over on christmas eve and I would pour the sherry (small bucketfuls of course) ready for my Mum bringing her. She had a quilted dressing gown and slept in the pink bedroom.

Then there was the year I got a nurses outfit (my biggest much older sis just having gone to train to be one) and my Uncle pretended to have a poorly arm - I was terrified and ran away/burst into tearsblush

AIBU to be a tiny bit excited about Christmas already?wink

thehouseofmirth Tue 07-Oct-08 21:03:44

When I was about 5 coming home really late from visiting relatives on Christmas Eve and hearing sleigh bells (my dad had them in his pocket)and my mum rushing me in to the huse & bed so I'd be asleep before "He" came.

magicofchristmas Tue 07-Oct-08 21:10:14

LOL at the bucketful of sherry and the poorly arm poor you. How old were you about?

No U are NBU, it's slowly growing on me and have already bought the annual BROONS and OOR WULLIE book that I get every year for the kids. The year has gone so fast (dont know where august and september went), before you know it christmas will have been and gone so enjoy.

CatMandu Tue 07-Oct-08 21:12:22

The year my parents bought me on of those old fashioned school desks with bench seat full of craft stuff and stationary. Funny thing is I know that dd1 would be thrilled with the same.

RiallyEeRiaee Tue 07-Oct-08 21:14:10

I would be 4/5? with the poorly arm and 6 upwards with the sherry (I do pour smaller ones now I'm an adult - disgusting stuffgrin)

magicofchristmas Tue 07-Oct-08 21:14:15

Sleigh bells..... how exciting.
I can just picture you in a mad panic (well I would have been anyway) we were always told if FC found you awake he would go without leaving any pressies

I remember "hearing" Father Christmas crossing the landing to go into my sister's room. Of course now I realise it was parents, having left my stocking in my room and obviously waking me on leaving. Not sure how old I was but I still remember the feeling of "He must exist then!" and being excited and pretending to be asleep.

thehouseofmirth Tue 07-Oct-08 22:01:50

Our family kept up the Father Christmas thing until my mum & dad died when I was in my early 20's. I still carried on "believing" even after the year when I was about 18 and my dad dropped my quite heavy and hard stocking on my head. Should have got an Oscar for my staying asleep performance then!

PortofinoPumpkin Tue 07-Oct-08 22:03:01

I always so loved the Christmas tree - thought it was positively magical and christmas carols. And getting the Xmas editions of the Radio Times (and what was the ITV one called?) and getting all excited about all the fabulous stuff that what on TV over the holidays. And making paper chains, and christmas cards with glitter. And the fact that me and my sister were the eldest grandchildren and had 9 sets of Aunties and Uncles, so there were always tonnes of pressies. (Most of the cheap plastic tat/selection box variety but we never cared). I always find Xmas a bit of disappointment now.

Best pressies were the year my grandad made us rocking dolly cots and my nan knit a huge pile of tiny tear clothes. Fabulous. I notice the TV adverts have started already - doubt somehow that dd will be fobbed off with handknitted anything. sad

Waswondering Tue 07-Oct-08 22:06:29

I remember when I was 8 having a surprisingly good Christmas Day given that on Christmas Eve at 6pm I broke my 4yo brother's leg while "Santa" was getting the BMX bike from next door's garage . ..

2shoeprintsintheblood Tue 07-Oct-08 22:06:30

one year my dad made it so we couldn't get into the living room. he used rope so we couldn't open the door.
oh the magic when we were allowed in, and found 2 bikes(secondhand) we(me and db) were over the moon.
that is the christmas we still talk about.

beautifuldays Tue 07-Oct-08 22:08:10

i remember the year i found out it was my folks, and i thought i could convince them FC was real and made them hang up one of my white winter school socks for FC. i had hidden the matching stockings behind the cabinet in the front room and i went and switched them first thing in the morning while they were having a cuppa in the kitchen. {grin]

i really thought they would believe FC had brought the 'presents' (mainly home-made crap!) grin

magicofchristmas Tue 07-Oct-08 22:10:15

THOM OUCH!!!

AbstractMouse Tue 07-Oct-08 22:21:14

I always remember ny Dad making us eat a bowl of weetabix before we could enter the front room. Also my dad making out one present was a selection box when it was a chemistr set, I was so chuffed.

The year my sister got a TV and I got a wendyhouse was good too, we used to put the wendy house on the bed and watch TV through it.

I also loved the year I got a Commodore64, also the year I got a tv and a Sega, was so exciting
the whole family played on both not just me.

Tinkerisdead Wed 08-Oct-08 14:12:04

My mum used to say we could only go downstairs to check our presents if santa had left a sooty kiss on her cheek. If it wasnt there, back to bed for a while. I was baffled at how if santa may not be real, how the hell does a sooty kiss appear on my mums cheek in a house of central heating. it kept me going for years, i only found out when i was 15 that it was fag ash that she had dabbed on herself out of the ashtray bleughhhh. Ensured her wakeup call was at a decent hour though.

my best christmas was when i was about 7 and my brother about 5. We had a massive living room which was length of the house. for that year santa had put the presents at the opposite end to normal and we were crestfallen at the "empty" room until we turned round! i had dolls and a highchair, pram etc and my bro had a bmx. whoppeeee.

Whilst its my best memory its prompts my saddest as three weeks later some bigger boys stole my brothers new bike off us and i was too little to stop them. He sobbed all the way home and it still makes me cry to remember it and im 29!!!! sad

Milliways Wed 08-Oct-08 16:41:56

When I was 7, I had been in hospital for months and been wearing a hip spika frame from armpits to toes for some time. That Christmas I was able to show all the relatives how I could now walk without sticks! I got sooo much attention, never forgot it.

I also got the Action Girl Horse, which was the present of my dreams.

I also used to love Church, where all the kids got to show their toys/presents, and we sang carols then went home to a fab Christmas Turkey

branflake81 Wed 08-Oct-08 17:30:10

Every year we kids (4 of us) used to perform a Christmas show, consisting of a play written by me and then us screeching out awful carols on our musical instruments. I used to start around November and cajole everyone into rehearsing. Sisters were all very keen and took everything very seriously, we had dress rehearsals and lighting reheasals and everything. Every year we'd argue with my brother who, quite frankly, couldn't be arsed to learn his lines and would just read them off my script. I look back and feel quite sorry for him, I must have made his life pretty miserable!

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now