Advanced search

Christmas food shopping in advance

(22 Posts)
Yorkiegirl Sat 04-Oct-08 20:47:54

Message withdrawn

whomovedmychocolate Sat 04-Oct-08 20:51:15

-Frozen yorkshire puddings,
-christmas pudding,
-parsnips (buy them, cut them and then freeze them - you will love me in December for telling you this!) ditto carrots
- You should be making your christmas cake now as well.
- Wine - cheaper now
- Chestnut puree/frozen chestnuts - will sell out and get more expensive next month

MingMingtheWonderPet Sat 04-Oct-08 20:52:55

not strictly food, but crackers

Nuts
Chocs (as long as you can resist!)
Smoked salmon (when on special offer) and freeze

whomovedmychocolate Sat 04-Oct-08 20:54:06

Oh yes Sainsburys has half price smoked salmon at the mo and it freezes really well.

Thomcat Sat 04-Oct-08 20:54:36

Oh...........my..............GOD!!!!!!!!!!!!

IT"S OCTOBER!

It's Xmas, not world war 3!
We won't run out of food.
Save the space in your freezer.

Love you and everything but sweet jesus!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

EachPeachPearMum Sat 04-Oct-08 20:57:41

wmmc - do you have to blanche the parsnips before you freeze them? Do they just go in a sealed frerezer bag? Thanks

Thomcat- I'm having DC2, so I do want to get stuff ready before december so I can relax!

whomovedmychocolate Sat 04-Oct-08 20:59:32

Yes I do blanche them - sorry should have said that - actually I also pour maple syrup on while they are cooling - it turns into a wonderful sticky glaze which crystalises in the freezer and then thaws out as they recook and makes them just gorgeous.

whomovedmychocolate Sat 04-Oct-08 21:00:43

Thomcat - it may be October but the supermarkets hoick up prices in December of some things and also who wants to shop in the week before christmas? Only mad people that's who.

Thomcat Sat 04-Oct-08 21:01:05

But it's just a big roast dinner, bit like the one you'll have tomorrow but witha few more bits chucked in. It really is 2 months away and the shops won't run out.

I've had 2 babies born on 17 & 19 Dec so I know wanting to be prepared but that was about buying and wrapping pressies before xmas eve not freezing parsnips 2 months in adbance, LOL.

Oh I do love you mad nutters! grin

whomovedmychocolate Sat 04-Oct-08 21:02:48

I do parsnips in 2kg batches because otherwise I can't be arsed on any given day to peel them. Then I batch freeze because I'm lazy. That's not to do with christmas. It's to do with vegetable apathy!

EachPeachPearMum Sat 04-Oct-08 21:04:23

Ah <sigh> TC I had forgotten how gorgeous your bambinas are!

wmmc glaze sounds like an excellent idea. Do you think I could do the carrots at the same time, and freeze together on one bag? [lazy cow emoticon]

Yorkiegirl Sat 04-Oct-08 21:05:13

Message withdrawn

Thomcat Sat 04-Oct-08 21:10:28

Freaks grin

Thomcat Sat 04-Oct-08 21:13:13

Arrrrrrr, the freak comment coming right after Yorkie's reciprocation of love was ill-timed on my part!

Yorkiegirl Sat 04-Oct-08 21:17:33

Message withdrawn

Thomcat Sat 04-Oct-08 21:26:35

Oh no. You're not supposed to have said that. sad
Why the crappy night? Wanna creep over to another corner somewhere and have a cuddle and moan?

whomovedmychocolate Sat 04-Oct-08 21:56:38

Sadly carrots don't work so well with the glaze - have no managed to work out why yet but am consulting with a few chemistry pals to find out.

DH does potatoes in the microwave to dehydrate them slightly before chucking them in icy water then freezing them - apparently this does something important. All I know is, his potatoes are delish whereas mine are anaemic.

EachPeachPearMum Sat 04-Oct-08 22:18:07

Thanks for that!

penguinaballerina Thu 16-Oct-08 12:53:38

Order your turkey well in advance!
Plus:
Mincemeat (for mince pies)
Frozen pastry if not making your own
German chocolate covered gingerbread cakey things - from Aldi or Lidl(yum)
Stollen (as above)
Gravy browning
Snacks - crisps, crackers, nuts etc
Wine, beer, sherry, soft drinks etc.
And all the regular, non-Christmassy stuff of course!
Also, sprouts on the stalk keep much better than supermarket ones, so you could buy them a week or so in advance. Farm shops and greengrocers sell them. Keep them outside with the bottom of the stalk in soil. This will stop them drying out and also the frost will sweeten up the flavour.

penguinaballerina Thu 16-Oct-08 12:53:40

Plus:
Stollen (as above)
Gravy browning
Also, sprouts on the stalk keep much better than supermarket ones, so you could buy them a week or so in advance. Farm shops and greengrocers sell them. Keep them outside with the bottom of the stalk in soil. This will stop them drying out and also the frost will sweeten up the flavour.

penguinaballerina Thu 16-Oct-08 12:53:43

Plus:
Stollen (as above)
Gravy browning

OhYouBadBadKitten Thu 16-Oct-08 12:59:28

For once we will be buying stuff in advance cos Sainsburys are giving us £12 off each £60 shop for the next 4 weeks. So I figure if we spend £12 on Christmas bits and pieces for the next 4 weeks then we are getting our Christmas food and wine for free. Hooray!

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now