Advertisement

loader

Talk

Advanced search

We're skint. Reckon if we made presents this year our friends would hate us?

(91 Posts)
bohemianbint Thu 02-Oct-08 20:51:39

This is the first year I've been totally without income as have become a SAHM (had DC2 5 weeks ago and can't afford to work, childcare too expensive) and so we're living on a tight budget now.

We've been discussing Christmas and how to afford it as I'm determined we won't get into debt to pay for it. So looks like we either set a budget of around a tenner per person, or try to get a bit creative and make presents instead.

Thing is, not sure what. Was thinking could make some cookies and put them in a decorated jar, or make jewellery for female friends/relatives. But whilst I'm sure people ought to appreciate the effort, they may just think we're cheap bastards and never speak to us again. wink

Any thoughts? Obviously I don't have time to get knitting scarves or what have you...

Ecmo Thu 02-Oct-08 20:52:30

Ebay grin

nolongeraworriedmummy Thu 02-Oct-08 20:52:48

Nope. I am the same and planning to make fudge with dd, wrap it in selophane and a ribbon and get dd to write a tag on it,

Habbibu Thu 02-Oct-08 20:53:20

I'd love home-made presents! Cookies wrapped in coloured cellophane and ribbon would be lovely - you could go all fancy and make biscotti. There's a nice website where a woman made granola as a present - looks fab. Hang on...

nickytwotimes Thu 02-Oct-08 20:53:24

I'd love a hand amde gift. I doubt you'll be hte only ones doing that this year.

expatinscotland Thu 02-Oct-08 20:53:46

some lovin' from the oven!

a tenner is plenty, btw.

Habbibu Thu 02-Oct-08 20:53:48

In fact - fab idea - may do it myself.

llynnnn Thu 02-Oct-08 20:53:57

i'm watching this thread for inspiration! also skint here!!

leoemma Thu 02-Oct-08 20:54:45

i would love it. Going to be doing it myself, shows thought and that someone hasnt just gone for 3 for 2 in Boots wink

Habbibu Thu 02-Oct-08 20:54:55

here. I love this blog

MinkyBorage Thu 02-Oct-08 20:55:07

lots of ideas here

I would like a homemade present. Fudge/biscuits...YUM!

nobodysfool Thu 02-Oct-08 20:55:29

I would much prefer a box of these wrapped up fancy than a box of smellies from Boots.

www.deliaonline.com/recipes/home-made-chocolate-truffles,796,RC.html

Othersideofthechannel Thu 02-Oct-08 20:55:39

It wouldn't bother me. I was really glad when a rather skint close friend suggested we give up exchanging Christmas gifts. I would rather she had a bit more to spend on her children.

If they are really friends then they would know money is tight at the moment and appreciate the effort.

Libra1975 Thu 02-Oct-08 20:56:38

Think hand-made presents sound lovely, what about jam or lemon curd as it keeps longer than cookies! Or you could trawl the charity shops, I picked up to Nigella Lawson cookbooks in mint condition for a 1/3 of the price.

Kewcumber Thu 02-Oct-08 20:58:01

cookies and fusge are a great idea - I'd be happy. They'd be pretty poor friends if they dropped you after a pile of delicious fudgewas presented tothem. If you're going to do home made (and I think tablet type fudge is the best if you can find recipe) then be geberous - ie big pile of it (as its pretty cheap and nicely wrapped. Don't skip!

Also jams fiarly easy but need a bit more organisingto sterlaise stuf - for those of a savory bent onion marmalade with a nice piece of cheese and some biscuits.

Habbibu Thu 02-Oct-08 20:58:16

fudge, chocolate truffles, cake, fruit preserved in alcohol (though poss not cheap enough!), biscuits, biscotti, jam, home-made harissa (DH would love this!), scarves...

Lionstar Thu 02-Oct-08 20:58:23

Go on make something. My fave present from last year was a jar of 'hedgerow jam' that my friend had made. Was totally delish, and all the tastier for the effort she had gone to picking blackberries etc and making the jam.

nolongeraworriedmummy Thu 02-Oct-08 20:59:36

Oh thanks nobodys fool I have been looking for that! grin

nobodysfool Thu 02-Oct-08 21:04:39

No need to thank me just send a huge box of them this way!grin

eviz Thu 02-Oct-08 21:06:29

Do it do it!

You've inspired me mate - have just texted sis and suggested the same thing grin

Gettingbiggernow Thu 02-Oct-08 21:12:15

Making stuff is nice.

Would help if you are good at sewing.

For the girls, could you make something like say, a hot water bottle cover out of some fake fur - you could then could embroider their name on a felt tag tied round the neck with some ribbon? There are basic patterns on the internet.

Also on this theme is making a stocking with the persons name on then filling with say, chocolate money.

Or what about a photo in a really nice frame (you can spend the £10 on a big fancy silver frame and get the photos from Photobox for around 60p each)

One of my favourite pressies was a photo-mug from a friend, of us on a lovely day out. She filled it with my fav sweets smile

Don't make jewellery as often it costs as much to buy the beads etc plus if you're not used to doing it, it can turn out childish. Instead, buy pretty necklaces/bracelets etc from places like Matalan or Tesco BUT wrap it beautifully in nice tissue and velvet bags etc. People really won't know where you got it from.

Places like Ethel Austin (don't laugh) sometimes do boxed sets of quite good brand names ie Calvin Klein and Revlon. I have seen kids stuff in there too ie Barbies/Bratz.

AnybodyHomeMcFly Thu 02-Oct-08 21:12:39

I made sloe gin as pressies last year. Still have to buy the gin of course but the cheapo stuff is fine. Although did feel a bit blush rolling up to Sainsbury's till with DS, three bottles of "Basics" gin and some nappies...

morocco Thu 02-Oct-08 21:16:28

would you consider not buying any presents at all? present amnesty? even cheaper and less hassle

Habbibu Thu 02-Oct-08 21:16:50

Sloe gin is a great idea, but I'd have to find sloes...

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now