Advertisement

loader

Talk

Advanced search

Xmas food baskets/hampers/such likes - what do you put in yours?

(19 Posts)
SpandexIsMyEnemy Thu 02-Oct-08 13:09:05

my grandparents & also beau's parents (they've kindly offered to make something for DS so i'm doing a thank you type parcel up) are all having home made gifts/foodie things.

so far I have

xmas cake each and that's about it.

2 of them can't have anything alcoholic in them.

how does one go about making brandy snaps? (is that xmasey?)
am also thinking possibly making a xmas cracker each as well? (they have a pack of 6 kit for £2.00) and some biscuits with xmasy shapes.

anything else, or any recipes for the above greatly appreciated

Rosa Thu 02-Oct-08 13:14:30

Am guessing you want to make it all yourself
Simple home made chocolates
Maybe your ds can help to make some peppermint creams- Or he can decorate a box for the biscuits.
Mincepies

SpandexIsMyEnemy Thu 02-Oct-08 13:19:13

yes, if poss, DS & I are to make it all ourselves, incl the boxes unless I can get a nice one each.

ooh forgot mince pies,

how do u make peppermint creams/ home made chocs?

Rosa Thu 02-Oct-08 13:22:44

Peppermint creams are simply egg white and icing sugar with a drop of mint can't think of quantities - Have you looked in the mumsnet receipe section as I bet you will find some good ideas there.
I do cherries soaked in brandy ( if no alcohol use cherry syrup. leave overnight then give a quick rinse and dry off then dip in chocolate and dry on greaseproof paper in fridge. Easy quick and popular.
Also do a version of the malteeser biscuit cake which I know is in the rec section.I just cresh everything smaller makes it easier to make bite sized bits.

SpandexIsMyEnemy Thu 02-Oct-08 13:24:48

ooh those are fantastic, my nan's partner will love them esp.

will have to have a look around and see if I can find a big tin for it all after all, or maybe a basket?

Buckets Fri 03-Oct-08 18:04:33

For old folks right?
Tinned ham, tinned steak, Gentlemen's Relish, pots of sandwich paste, shortbread, fruit jelly
Nice handwash
New teatowel(s)
New washing up brush (cos we can all do with one of thosegrin)
Mini Xmas puds
Posh Toffee sauce

Lakeland is good

TheArmadillo Fri 03-Oct-08 18:22:30

chocolate truffles (piss easy to make) I usually do some with rum in (not necessary) and roll some in icing sugar, some in cocoa powder and some in nuts (can also do coconut ones).

Also some kind of biscuit - I usually do ginger bread and then some sugary cherry things.

Mince pies tend to go down well.

Also for some I put some nice cheese in and some oatcakes adn chutney to go with it.

Some like pickled onions. Or a cooked ham.

I tend to go round cheap homeware shops for baskets. Old shredded paper or straw looks nice in bottom and the cellophane (or cling film at a push) to go over top.

Asda do those foil takeaway trays with tops that I tend to use for truffles (stick bow on top) and wrap rest in cellophane with curly ribbon.

MrsMattie Fri 03-Oct-08 18:24:54

Homemade stuff...

Chocolate truffles?
Jam / chutney?

expatinscotland Fri 03-Oct-08 18:25:30

i like to do bags for teachers, neighbours, DD1's care workers, etc.

i put in: slices of Xmas cake in cellophane bags, a small box of homemade truffles, biscuits in a cellophane bag, a couple of mincemeat pies and tie with a ribbon with a cookie cutter or a salt dough ornament painted by the girls.

for some i throw in a decanter of homemade orange liqueur.

NickiSue Fri 03-Oct-08 18:33:20

I'm doing "night in" hampers for two couples I know. Large pepsi (or wine), chocolate, popcorm, sweets etc and a HMV or Blockbuster type voucher for a real cuddly night in.
I'm putting a crad in with "Rules" ie
1) No answering house phones or mobiles
2) All doors and windows to be locked
3) Curtains drawn and lights on low or candles lit.
4) Blah

geordieminx Fri 03-Oct-08 20:17:28

Any ideas where to get a nice hamper/box?

littlelapin Fri 03-Oct-08 20:18:10

Message withdrawn at poster's request.

littlelapin Fri 03-Oct-08 20:19:33

littlelapin Fri 03-Oct-08 20:21:21

geordieminx Fri 03-Oct-08 20:24:51

thanks Rabbit - you are a gem!

littlelapin Fri 03-Oct-08 20:25:50

Sparkletastic Fri 03-Oct-08 21:31:27

try charity shops for baskets / hampers - I got 4 good sized ones last week for a fiver - the lovely ladies in the shop said they go fast from now though!!

SpandexIsMyEnemy Fri 03-Oct-08 23:56:20

I forgot about this one!

buckets - yes old folks!

fab ideas thanks girls. fab links LL.

Buckets Sat 04-Oct-08 14:48:51

I've done 'Honeymoon Extension' hampers for wedding pressies before, on the same lines as NickiSue. Lush massage bar and bath bomb, proper choc bar, vanilla candle, mini champers bottle - got Lush to bung it all in a box and giftwrap it too.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now