Talk

Advanced search

Lets talk turkey

(15 Posts)
geordieminx Wed 01-Oct-08 17:11:50

Ok so am hosting dinner this year, never bought a turkey before -would like a dogs bollocks one.. well not literally grin

Ideally feeding 6 adults on xmas day (although will be doing beef too) and enough left for 6 adults to have with chips and salad and such like on boxing day (although possibly might do something else aswell on boxing day)

Which is the best turkey to get, and where from? Oh and how big and when do I order it?

Thanks

Lilymaid Wed 01-Oct-08 17:17:49

How much do you want to pay? M&S has always been reliable in the past and done all sorts from basic factory farmed to organic Kelly Bronze.

Furball Wed 01-Oct-08 17:34:44

we just normally get a crown (literally just the breast bone), then you don't end up with bits you can't eat and you're still trying to get through it 4 days later. can recommend waitrose for crowns.

norksinmywaistband Wed 01-Oct-08 19:10:35

I have done a crowns in the past and have always preordered from waitrose, then you can just pop in and pick it up on Xmas eve.
Not buying this year as planning on bagging and invite to my parents or inlaws

geordieminx Wed 01-Oct-08 19:27:50

Not really bothered about cost. We dont have waitrose in Scotland... Grrrrrr

Can do Marks though.

Will a crown be enough for both days?

Furball Wed 01-Oct-08 20:43:17

it says on the packaging how many it will feed. but yes they come in all sizes and you can get them to feed 12

MorrisZapp Thu 02-Oct-08 13:16:19

2x branches of Waitrose here in Edinburgh, don't know if that's too far for you?

There were rumours of expanding into Glasgow but no branches there yet that I know of.

geordieminx Thu 02-Oct-08 16:25:54

Nah I'm in Glasgow, I know better than to chance Edinburgh at the best of times - never mind 2 or 3 days before xmas!! grin

inscotland Thu 02-Oct-08 16:46:26

M&S Christmas food ordering should be out within the next 10 days or so.

thebutlerdidit Thu 02-Oct-08 16:55:12

You could get a multibird roast here

geordieminx Thu 02-Oct-08 17:31:17

I jsu spoke to M&S - wanted to know when the catalogue would be out and when I could order... the reponse "No idea" "Novemember probably" Grrrrrrrrrrrrrr

Leslaki Thu 02-Oct-08 17:50:59

What about your local butcher - I usually get mine there and pre order it with steaks etc. Pick it up Xmas eve. And I like the crown too!

Lucewheel Thu 02-Oct-08 18:33:35

Hiya GM <<waves>>

I got a turkey crown down at the M&S foodstore at the outlet that we like last year and will do the same this year.

nappyaddict Fri 17-Oct-08 15:58:16

goose is nice. you can get frozen ones in lidl for about £15.

MrsMattie Fri 17-Oct-08 15:59:57

The big bronze feathered ones from Waitrose are lovely - pricey though, and you have to order them if you want it fresh not frozen.

I'm not usually a Twatrose fan, but make an exception at Xmas.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now