Oh god, office Secret Santa

(82 Posts)
hyperborea Fri 03-Dec-21 23:57:13

I HATE office Secret Santa. The terrible pressure to get something pretty or thoughtful or funny for someone you don't really know, for almost no money. Without further destroying the environment by buying some pointless novelty crap which will go in the bin five minutes later. But if you don't participate, you are officially a Scrooge. So, anyone want to help me out? Middle aged guy, nice chap, got a sense of humour, no real idea what he's interested in out of work. £5 limit. That's it. You have as much to go on as I do grin. Help!!

OP’s posts: |
Skysblue Sat 04-Dec-21 00:00:16

Comic that was popular when he would have been age 8-10?

Joke book?

Skysblue Sat 04-Dec-21 00:00:47

Socks! My Extensive study of men concludes that they hate most presents but have a strong passion for socks.

Forgetaboutme Sat 04-Dec-21 00:03:49

If he drives then something for his car like one of those mitten scraper things. Useful but fun

Sports team he follows? Maybe a mug or something

Thetrainisinthestation Sat 04-Dec-21 00:10:23

Look down the recent bestseller book list and find something that looks interesting?

The Power of Geography is currently £4.50 online and has amazing reviews

Thetrainisinthestation Sat 04-Dec-21 00:10:33

I haven’t read it mind

Greytminds Sat 04-Dec-21 00:11:08

I got a colleague a Modern Toss ‘work’ coaster a couple of years ago that had most people laughing. Some are very sweary but most are pretty funny. I think I got that plus a bottle of local ale, but you could get it to go with tea/coffee/chocolate.

If trying to be funny, there’s the spoof ladybird books or famous five ones. Or some festive or silly socks. Otherwise I would go for beer or chocolate!

Advertisement

HalfShrunkMoreToGo Sat 04-Dec-21 00:12:17

If you're doing Boots 3for2 for any other gifts then look to see if they have any craft beer gift sets or anything like that.

ArblemarchTFruitbat Sat 04-Dec-21 00:13:57

Private Eye annual - £5 on Amazon.

KeyboardWorriers Sat 04-Dec-21 00:15:57

I bought my boss a musical Christmas tie from Mark's and Spencer when I got his name in secret Santa.

I hate it too, but feel I have to join in!

This year I think I will buy festive socks as not sure anyone wears ties any more!

Luredbyapomegranate Sat 04-Dec-21 00:25:45

Mug w chocolate coins
Socks
A couple of cans of local craft beer.
A bottle of mulled wine (supermarket own brand)
Christmas biscuits / gingerbread / chocolate Brazils / nuts
Popular Christmas paperback eg Richard Osman Murder Club

Try to avoid utter landfill like musical ties - if it’s something edible or socks or a popular book, then he can donate it to a food back or charity shop if he doesn’t want it.

Youngatheart00 Sat 04-Dec-21 00:26:54

Do you know anything about him…if not use it as an excuse to (even by stealth means!)

Ie does he have a favourite football / rugby club etc - a bobble or beanie hat is always a nice present I think - may mean you exceed the budget but at least it’s not just plastic crap that’ll end up left in the pub and straight to landfill

heymammy Sat 04-Dec-21 00:33:39

My male secret santa is getting a magic 8 ball, they are just over £5 on amazon. We definitely don't do thoughtful gifts for fiver, there's literally nothing you can get 😄

FestiveFlavours Sat 04-Dec-21 01:45:55

heymammy

My male secret santa is getting a magic 8 ball, they are just over £5 on amazon. We definitely don't do thoughtful gifts for fiver, there's literally nothing you can get 😄

As mentioned by a previous poster, you can get books for under a fiver. These can be thoughtful.

Doyourememberthetime Sat 04-Dec-21 02:06:52

A tie. There are lots of cheap ones online

RedSquirrelsAreAwesome Sat 04-Dec-21 02:23:46

Does he have any close work colleagues who could give you a couple of pointers on what he likes/hobbies he has?

Whilst reading your OP I was reminded of what a former colleague did for secret Santa one year. He presented this massive gift wrapped box and inside that was another wrapped box and another and so it went on. The recipient eventually found inside a £5 note 🙄 All that effort, surely a trip to the local supermarket would have been quicker. He was a bit like Kevin the teenager though, his mum (the boss) chauffeured him to and from work every day and he did the bare minimum whilst he was there so in effect that present was the most work he’d put into a project during his whole career I reckon 😂
OP, I’m sure whatever you get this chap will be much better than this!

SingingSands Sat 04-Dec-21 02:30:34

I was going to say, put a fiver in a card and write "Merry Christmas! Have a drink on me, from Secret Santa"

pinkksugarmouse Sat 04-Dec-21 02:58:09

I agree with the book idea. Supermarkets often stock the best selling paperbacks. Team it with a box of malteasers if you want to hedge your bets. Easy things to regift too if he doesn’t like them so no landfill.

I would steer clear of toiletries, novelty items and alcohol but it’s always tricky to get it right. Just as long as you aren’t giving rude or passive aggressive things then you can only do your best.

Hydrate Sat 04-Dec-21 03:59:50

My dh is fond of silly things like godzilla's, gnomes, rubber chicken.

hyperborea Sat 04-Dec-21 07:45:00

Ooh, you lot are good, thank you! I'm liking book, or socks, or various other things mentioned. Feeling a bit less rabbit in the headlights now. (NB re exceeding the budget, that's also frowned upon as it's not in the spirit, and puts unfair pressure on others to do the same...)

OP’s posts: |
FindMeInTheSunshine Sat 04-Dec-21 07:53:26

Those credit card multi tools are popular secret Santa presents, you can keep one in the car for odd uses.

FlorenceWintle Sat 04-Dec-21 07:55:04

The Beano annual

DiamondBright Sat 04-Dec-21 07:59:21

I'd get chocolates or biscuits, at least they'll get eaten over Christmas or he can regift them. If you know he drinks then a couple of bottles of IPA.

Riverlee Sat 04-Dec-21 08:20:06

Thermal mug

CharityDingle Sat 04-Dec-21 08:24:37

RedSquirrelsAreAwesome

Does he have any close work colleagues who could give you a couple of pointers on what he likes/hobbies he has?

Whilst reading your OP I was reminded of what a former colleague did for secret Santa one year. He presented this massive gift wrapped box and inside that was another wrapped box and another and so it went on. The recipient eventually found inside a £5 note 🙄 All that effort, surely a trip to the local supermarket would have been quicker. He was a bit like Kevin the teenager though, his mum (the boss) chauffeured him to and from work every day and he did the bare minimum whilst he was there so in effect that present was the most work he’d put into a project during his whole career I reckon 😂
OP, I’m sure whatever you get this chap will be much better than this!

His mother probably did the wrapping. wink

Join the discussion

To comment on this thread you need to create a Mumsnet account.

Join Mumsnet

Already have a Mumsnet account? Log in