Talk

Advanced search

Which Jo Malone perfume?

(31 Posts)
Aponcetasticchristmastoall Tue 17-Nov-20 10:15:56

My in-laws have very kindly said they will buy me some perfume and I would quite like a bottle of Jo Malone as have never had before...

I don’t like overly sickly sweet or fruity perfumes my favourites over the years have been Chanel Mademoiselle, Molocules 1 and Chloe. I think in general I’m mostly drawn to quite smoky and botanical scents.

What’s your favourite and which should I avoid?

OP’s posts: |
peachypetite Tue 17-Nov-20 10:16:45

I wouldn’t pick a perfume without smelling it first. What one person loves someone else hates and they are not cheap!

Thedarknightsaredrawingin Tue 17-Nov-20 10:22:15

It’s a bold move to blind buy.
I always wore Mademoiselle and love Jo Malone. Favourites are:
Wood sage and sea salt
Blackberry and bay
Orange bitters
Oak and Redcurrant (but discontinued so hard to find).

Thedarknightsaredrawingin Tue 17-Nov-20 10:23:09

Oh and today I’m wearing Myrh and tonka which is so lovely and wintery!

simonthedog Tue 17-Nov-20 10:24:10

nutmeg and ginger is my favourite

Nanasueathome Tue 17-Nov-20 10:24:45

Waterlily
Orange blossom
French lime blossom
Grapefruit
Peony and suede blush
Wild bluebell
Gardenia

Theres a lot to choose from

Aponcetasticchristmastoall Tue 17-Nov-20 10:43:01

I actually didn’t know there was so many...

Maybe I’ll start a collection and go with the no expensive perfume is a bad perfume rule!! 😂

BeaLola Tue 17-Nov-20 10:43:38

I love perfume & Jo Malone but compared to Chanel (I wear No5, Coco Mademoiselle & Coco) & Estee Lauder fragrances (I wear Knowing & Private Collection) I find the JM ones do not last as long on me.

The JM ones I wear are French Lime Blossom, Bluebell, Pomegranate Noir, Wood Sage & Sea Salt, Oak & Redcurrant, Gardenia.

If you decide to go ahead & your inlaws buy online you could wait for an offer of free engraving or something to make it more special for you.

twilightcafe Tue 17-Nov-20 10:44:08

Wood Sage and Sea Salt
Earl Grey and Cucumber
Nutmeg and Ginger
Amber and Lavender
Blackberry and Bay
Grapefruit

MyNameForToday1980 Tue 17-Nov-20 10:54:27

Any JM florals are a bit sweet and sticky for me (I see you Peony and Blush Suede, and Freesia and English Pear).

I wear:

Blackberry and Bay - lightly fruity, quite botanical.

Lime, Basil, Mandarin - bit fruity, tiny bit spicy, but a very traditional cologne smell.

WhatAreWordsWorth Tue 17-Nov-20 10:58:46

I wear peony and blush suede - as PP have said, I’d avoid this if you’re not keen on sweeter fragrances.

I’d definitely recommend trying some out once you’re able to!

Aponcetasticchristmastoall Tue 17-Nov-20 11:00:05

So far the three that sound like my kind of perfume is

Wood Sage and Sea Salt
Blackberry and Bay
Oak and Redcurrant

OverThinkingUnderDoing Tue 17-Nov-20 11:01:46

Have you tried any of the Jo Loves perfumes? They’re made by Jo Malone and seem a lot better quality and last a lot longer. They also seem to have a more mature fragrance, I think of Jo Malone perfume as being very fruity and light.

Not trying to be rude but why do you want to get a Jo Malone perfume if you don’t like fruity fragrances? Pretty much all the Jo Malone perfumes are fruity.

Toilenstripes Tue 17-Nov-20 11:06:09

Not sure about Jo Malone or a blind buy. The problem is you will have no idea how the perfume develops on your skin or how long it will last. Complete waste of money.

Nanasueathome Tue 17-Nov-20 11:06:39

Jo Loves do a discovery collection. Have a look at that on their website

ImNotReallyHere Tue 17-Nov-20 11:08:56

I’ve had a few over the years and my absolute favourite is Basil and Neroli. Just had a quick google and Neroli is extracted from bitter orange but it smells fresh rather than orange.

afaloren Tue 17-Nov-20 11:13:03

Wood sage and sea salt for me, I wear it all the time and love it.

wizzler Tue 17-Nov-20 11:16:32

I prefer the older fragrances which I think were developed before Jo Malone left the company
I prefer Blackberry and Bay

starsinyourpies Tue 17-Nov-20 11:26:33

If you ring up Jo Malone they may send some samples/advise over the phone?

Aponcetasticchristmastoall Wed 25-Nov-20 13:03:53

Thank you everyone, seeing as my very kind in-laws were buying me the bigger bottles bought a few samples and glad I did as the ones I thought I would like didn’t all suit me (wanted to like Oak & Redcurrant so much but just didn’t)

I think I’m going to go for Pomegranate Noir but Orange Bitters were a close 2nd and still waiting for Bay and Blackberry to come.

Cutesbabasmummy Wed 25-Nov-20 21:48:45

Lime basil and Mandarin for me! I love it!

junglepie Wed 25-Nov-20 22:05:01

wasgoing to suggest trying them out.I had a friend who wore the basil and neroli one. It always smelled lovely so I asked for a bottle last Christmas. DH bought it for me, and I hate it on me! I keep trying it again every now and then, but it just doesnt suit me at all sad I feel so bad given the price!

EmmaGrundyForPM Wed 25-Nov-20 22:07:33

Cutesbabasmummy

Lime basil and Mandarin for me! I love it!

me too! But it doesnt last long

jelly79 Wed 25-Nov-20 22:29:06

I love so many but blackberry and bay sounds like one for you to try x

TheChosenTwo Thu 26-Nov-20 07:23:01

Lime basil and mandarin for me too! It’s the only perfume I own and wear, I adore the herby citrus smell. I really dislike very strong sweet fragrances and find them cloying and overpowering.
This one has an almost black peppery background and I love catching a whiff of it throughout the day!

Join the discussion

To comment on this thread you need to create a Mumsnet account.

Join Mumsnet

Already have a Mumsnet account? Log in