Talk

Advanced search

Grimms Rainbow dupe?

(18 Posts)
Winterfellismyhome Thu 29-Oct-20 07:40:52

Hi all,

Has anyone found a good dupe of the grimms rainbow toy? Dont fancy the original price grin

OP’s posts: |
Ickabog Thu 29-Oct-20 07:44:31

There are plenty of other rainbows out there which claim to be similar, but none are quite as good for building / creativity as the Grimms. Little stars is the closest, but that's not much cheaper. It seems like a high price, but they hold their value, unlike the dupes, so you'll be able to sell it for almost the same as you paid in the future.

EssentialHummus Thu 29-Oct-20 07:56:11

Loads on AliExpress.

Winterfellismyhome Thu 29-Oct-20 08:44:28

Thank you both. I didnt realise Grimms had a smaller one which looks lovely so might go for that

BigBadBox Thu 29-Oct-20 09:11:24

I have to say that the real one is much nicer (though I appreciate very expensive). They seem to sell secondhand for almost full price (that was my excuse for buying one grin. Babipur has lots of Grimms toys, you can usual get 5% off codes.

Isadora2007 Thu 29-Oct-20 10:10:16

Check the size of the very small one. The one that’s around £12/15 is okay for a very young child but if 2/3 plus I’d go for the £25 ish one as a minimum. They’re worth’s the money. They cheaper ones don’t stack as often shiny material or dye.

Spam88 Thu 29-Oct-20 10:11:21

I wouldn't personally buy from AliExpress or suspiciously cheap ones from Amazon, particularly if they're for babies/toddlers of mouthing age, as you just don't know what's in the paints they use.

My DD had a little rainbow from ELC - not really much like the Grimms one at all but much cheaper!

Winterfellismyhome Thu 29-Oct-20 10:19:35

That was my concern @Spam88

Hes 2 so debating whether the small one will be entertaining enough

Ickabog Thu 29-Oct-20 10:30:09

My experience is those who bought a small one often regretted it and bought a large or medium at a later date. It's nice as a decoration, but doesn't offer the same play value as the other sizes.

LittleMissLockdown Thu 29-Oct-20 10:37:16

Definitely get a proper Grimms rainbow rather than a chewp knock off. If nothing else they retain their value really well when being sold second hand. I would also agree with a PP that the paint or dye used in a cheap rainbow would be unlikely to be safe if chewed.

We have a large one and I can see it lasting my child for years and I know from experience of working in Reception that they are a popular versatile toy.

It may seem expensive but honestly that's just because we are so used to paying peanuts for children's toys. If your son is 2 now and it lasts him until 7 + and is played for by any subsequent children then in reality it's not cost much at all especially when compared to say a £20 Thomas the tank engine playset he's outgrown before he's 4.

CovidClara Thu 29-Oct-20 12:40:25

this is a fab company -they sometimes have 10% for new buyers

www.littleacornstomightyoaks.co.uk

I have no connection with them at all.

Winterfellismyhome Thu 29-Oct-20 12:58:55

Thanks for all your comments. Ive bitten the bullet and ordered a large one. Excited for it to arrive now!

TheLastStarfighter Fri 30-Oct-20 01:36:47

You won’t regret it smile. We bought ours 15 years ago. It got so much play and is now a much loved decoration. Hoping it will one day be used by grandchildren.

DinosaurOfFire Fri 30-Oct-20 01:43:10

Our large one is still played with at times by my 8 year old, as well as my 5 and 3 yo so ypu won't be disappointed! The semi circles make a huge difference too to what you can do with them, I bought the little stars semi circles as they were much cheaper than Grimms at the time. Its a slippery slope, we now have various Grimms bits and bobs and they have all been worth it. These are the semin circles I have. www.amazon.co.uk/dp/B075S8KFFG/ref=cm_sw_r_cp_apa_i_e92MFbXSFGHHB?tag=mumsnetforu03-21

Winterfellismyhome Fri 30-Oct-20 06:39:17

Ah i wish you hadnt shown me that @DinosaurOfFire gringrin

Ickabog Fri 30-Oct-20 08:25:33

Winterfellismyhome

Ah i wish you hadnt shown me that @DinosaurOfFire gringrin

The semi circles are a great addition and add a lot of other options for building and play. Grimms toys are definitely a slippery slope, but they hold their value and provide such a lot of open ended play options that children use them long after they've outgrown other toys. smile

Skigal86 Fri 30-Oct-20 09:23:05

I got the medium one last Christmas for my daughter and I’m still really unsure about it, maybe I need to look for more ideas of things to do with it on insta! She also has the semi circles from amazon and the grimms balls although they’ve had to go away for now as she kept chucking them at the TV.

Winterfellismyhome Fri 30-Oct-20 16:39:53

I saw loads of ideas on Pinterest @Skigal86

Join the discussion

To comment on this thread you need to create a Mumsnet account.

Join Mumsnet

Already have a Mumsnet account? Log in