Page 15 | The “I don’t need anything” husband gift thread

(378 Posts)
LongPauseNoAnswer Sat 03-Oct-20 20:10:44

Does anyone else have a DH who is practically impossible to buy for? He doesn’t need anything, doesn’t want anything and I have no clue what to get him.

He doesn’t drink, doesn’t smoke, doesn’t like sports. He sounds horrifically boring but he’s not I swear grin

What are you getting your impossible to buy for DH?

OP’s posts: |
ladymuck111 Wed 09-Dec-20 19:01:44

I have just seen it has manic miner and jet set Willy on it shock

Enko Wed 09-Dec-20 22:58:03

I gave up this year as dh commented on how hard I am to buy for (I am easy I like crafty stuff he just doesn't want to do that) he is near impossible buy for however, so I suggested we didn't do a big present this year but instead booked the 2 of us in for a theatre or michellin star restaurant meal and he is happy with this idea so we are happily sourcing places and suggestions.

Best ideas I have done over the years was
record player with USB port to put his record collection onto his computer.

and oddly a small present but a waterproof radio so he can listen in the shower in the morning. He loved it

desperatehousewife21 Thu 10-Dec-20 07:17:06

DH wanted a new amp so he chose one and I bought it. Also got a new dressing gown, new hoodie from a small business we both love (I’ll be getting some wear out of it too grin) tofiffee which he gets every Xmas and birthday.
The amp was expensive so he said that would be his only present so he doesn’t know about the extra bits I’ve got so hopefully he’ll be pleasantly surprised.

user686833 Fri 11-Dec-20 10:27:32

Just coming along with a suggestion. My DH sent me a link to a steel tongue drum that was over £50 on a Facebook ad, and said he'd like one maybe for his birthday. I'd already spent a lot on him so was reluctant to add it on to Christmas but decided to look around and found identical ones on eBay and Amazon for £20 less. I was a bit worried I should have just bought the linked one, but I'm also reluctant to pay Facebook ad prices as they are usually inflated. Anyway, I'm just wrapping today and I decided to have a little go myself to make sure it actually works and it is absolutely fantastic! They are designed in such a way that you can't make a bad tune on them, really melodic and relaxing, quite a loud sound but not painful on the ears, and it came with a song book (the notes are numbered with stickers) they are a brilliant instrument for children or hard to buy for adults. I've just ordered a Christmas song book because I know my DH will be spending ages working them out on Christmas Day regardless, and it will be great for the kids to have a go too. Really great gift for the £25.99 I paid.

smellywellies9 Fri 11-Dec-20 20:25:51

These just came up on my Facebook feed and I thought instantly of this thread!
Whisky flavoured tooth picks!! Ingenious! grin

https://daneson.eu/?currency=GBP

HappyLifv Sat 12-Dec-20 05:46:27

Message deleted by MNHQ. Here's a link to our Talk Guidelines.

Advertisement

1forAll74 Fri 03-Dec-21 00:54:17

When someone says that they don't want,or need anything for Christmas, just believe them. I have been saying this for years to my family, and they have got the message now. No problems at all. You don't have to feel bad about not buying a present for someone, when they have told you not to.

mymindismadeup Fri 03-Dec-21 02:43:46

ZOMBIE THREAD

RockingMyFiftiesNot Fri 03-Dec-21 07:54:08

mymindismadeup

ZOMBIE THREAD

There are so many people struggling with difficult to buy for men, this is one old thread that is really useful. Unlike your comment.

BarbaraofSeville Fri 03-Dec-21 08:33:12

1forAll74

When someone says that they don't want,or need anything for Christmas, just believe them. I have been saying this for years to my family, and they have got the message now. No problems at all. You don't have to feel bad about not buying a present for someone, when they have told you not to.

This is probably the most useful comment on this thread.

We really need to stop tying ourselves in knots trying to find presents for people who don't want or need them.

Between spouses just exchange low cost consumables to show that you're thinking of each other and forget about anything else. If they want something they'll buy it themselves, and you do the same for you. Saves so much angst, waste and stress all round.

SarahBellam Fri 03-Dec-21 09:12:52

I upgrade socks and pants - usually from Crew as the quality is great. Sometimes I chuck in a jumper or a nice shirt. He is always absolutely delighted with them - like he’d never seen socks and pants before 😂

We also buy each other gig tickets, but we get them throughout the year as they come up, rather than for special occasions.

AnneButNotHathaway Fri 03-Dec-21 09:31:59

My DH is constantly talking about house renovations so he's getting an Interior design 3d subscription lol. Also a box of funny socks (he loves them and kinda collects even) and a leather bag for his laptop.

Thatsplentyjack Fri 03-Dec-21 09:33:48

I have one. I've exhausted the alcohol option as he only drinks vodka and I got him a load of fancy miniatures last year, then the one he said he like the most I got a full bottle of for his birthday 🤣.
He plays football but I wouldn't buy him anything for that as I would buy the wrong thing.
I have no idea what to get, although I did just buy him a hoodie and shorts from Jack wills for a tenner because I was given a 60 quid voucher after spending so much in their shop the other week. (stuff that I didn't actually keep, but still got a free bag and a voucher).

Thatsplentyjack Fri 03-Dec-21 09:35:29

No, see this is not what my dp means because if you actually don't get him anything, or get him very little, he casts it up for years.

GETTINGLIKEMYMOTHER Fri 03-Dec-21 09:39:47

It’ll really be more of a family present, but I’ve ordered a blue tit nest box and camera for my dh. He spends ages and £££ filling up the bird feeders - our birds are spoilt rotten.
It was pricey though!

LuneyTunes Fri 03-Dec-21 12:04:37

I have never known a man to buy his own pyjamas and socks

BarbaraofSeville Fri 03-Dec-21 12:25:17

LuneyTunes

Well they're never going to need to if the women in their life keep giving them to them as gifts.

I've never bought socks, pyjamas or pants for that matter for DP and it's a good few decades since his DM did, and yet he still manages to keep a decent supply of all these all by himself.

CheltenhamLady Fri 03-Dec-21 15:04:12

DNA Ancestry test kit
Spanish lessons
Tennis lessons
www.publicrec.com/products/all-day-every-day-pant?firstAvailable=true&variant=32883986628642
smart but comfy WFH trousers.

Blackberrybunnet Fri 03-Dec-21 17:08:20

a lovely Moleskine notebook/diary and a packet of decent quality pens
a tweed flat cap/black trilby depending on his sartorial pleasure
whisky tasting subscription from www.whiskyshop.com/club
box of great quality chocolates (you can share them!)
Jo Malone cologne
any fancy-dancy toiletries that he wouldn't normally buy - eg. high grade shampoo like Molton Brown or L'Occitane or something even better
beard oil if he has a beard. Tom Ford stuff smell great!
spice box www.spicekitchenuk.com
leather gloves
leather wallet
magnifying glass (doesn't everyone need one sometimes?)
signed edition of a celeb book by someone he likes
pre-loaded Costa Coffee card
Leatherman pocket knife

pinkksugarmouse Fri 03-Dec-21 17:32:00

I have bought for DH:

Dressing gown
Book: Empireland (not very cheerful but definitely his sort of book)
Book: A Farewell to Calm (he is a big fan of John Crace)
We are each having a sleekster hotel chocolat box but still counts as one of gifts even though we don’t wrap them just open them on Christmas Day.

He asked initially for shirts and slippers but I insisted he buy some for himself. He’s naturally very slim bordering on thin (but healthy) and therefore he needs to try them on.
He has struggled to find slippers that last but every pair I have researched have poor ratings for longevity.

pinkksugarmouse Fri 03-Dec-21 17:36:14

LuneyTunes

My first marriage lasted 15yrs and I have been with DH for six years. I never bought either of them pants or socks (neither wear pyjamas) and never would unless they were incapable of doing it themselves. This sounds rather 1950’s.

Gilly12345 Fri 03-Dec-21 17:42:07

New Winter coat (Barbour)
Trainers
Aftershave
Concert tickets
Anfield stadium tour tickets

steppemum Fri 03-Dec-21 18:39:40

@BarbaraofSeville
thanks for the Russian map book on page 1. Dh loves USSR (and used to live there for a while) and loves map.
Perfect storm!

Bellafrenum Fri 03-Dec-21 18:56:46

Bottle of Kraken rum
Comedian gig tickets
Slippers
Jigsaw puzzle
2 x Naomi Klein books
Fancy chilli sauce
Superdry beanie hat
M&S chocs
Pic of him and dd on a theme park ride framed
Card game
Personalised travel coffee cup
Chocolate orange
Bath bomb

Coquohvan Fri 03-Dec-21 19:48:48

Thanks too whoever resurrected this thread.
Ordered DH and ice maker he will love it.

Join the discussion

To comment on this thread you need to create a Mumsnet account.

Join Mumsnet

Already have a Mumsnet account? Log in