Page 10 | The “I don’t need anything” husband gift thread

(375 Posts)
LongPauseNoAnswer Sat 03-Oct-20 20:10:44

Does anyone else have a DH who is practically impossible to buy for? He doesn’t need anything, doesn’t want anything and I have no clue what to get him.

He doesn’t drink, doesn’t smoke, doesn’t like sports. He sounds horrifically boring but he’s not I swear grin

What are you getting your impossible to buy for DH?

OP’s posts: |
Whattodowithaminute Sun 08-Nov-20 08:01:20

I’ve been doing some research about meal boxes-restaurant response to covid lots of them are doing cool at home boxes, many of which are much more affordable than a night out at said restaurant. I’m going to get one for DH December birthday but might also be a good idea for hard to buy for foodie men in your life.

TreadSoftlyOnMyDreams Sun 08-Nov-20 08:15:06

CoffeeChocolateWine

I do find my DH hard to buy for but I always massively regret asking him for ideas because they are always so dull. It’s his birthday coming up and he’s asked for a water bottle for his bike. If it was any other time of year he’d just go and buy a water bottle but because it’s coinciding with his birthday he’s calling it a ‘present’. One year he asked for some rigging rope. It’s not a gift!

So I’m not going to ask what he’d like for Christmas! At the moment I’m looking at the website www.cycleforgood.com...they do gifts from recycled inner tubes which a cycling fan might appreciate. A bottle of a whisky is a staple - I might look into a subscription this year. I’m liking the idea of a weather station - he’s quite into his water sports which are pretty weather-dependent so that’s a good suggestion. Books always go down well too. And yes to upgrading every day things - I bought a nice pen the other year and he loved it so much he went and bought himself the matching pencil!

You can get insulated water bottles for cycling which are ace. Throw some ice cubes in with your water in the summer and they stay cold for ages.

Nespresso travel coffee mugs are also fantastic. Pricey (15-20) but don't leak even after 2+yr of daily dishwasher use

Kapalika Sun 08-Nov-20 08:30:37

Mine sounds similar OP, but he does like history- specifically wars.
Subscription to War History is what he’s getting along with King of Shaves and hot chocolate bombs.

ElectricEels Sun 08-Nov-20 08:46:58

Whattodowithaminute

I’ve been doing some research about meal boxes-restaurant response to covid lots of them are doing cool at home boxes, many of which are much more affordable than a night out at said restaurant. I’m going to get one for DH December birthday but might also be a good idea for hard to buy for foodie men in your life.

The Rick Stein one is very good.

CoolKittens Sun 08-Nov-20 10:17:44

Great ideas!

farnworth Sun 08-Nov-20 10:24:33

Lots of great ideas, thanks. Bought various DIY suggestions off Amazon.
Also got the pumice soap one person recommended - from Bundle and rust, ended up buying other soaps as little Christmas presents, including their frankincense one - free delivery if spent over £30, code BUNDLE30

www.etsy.com/uk/shop/BundleAndRust?ref=simple-shop-header-name&listing_id=569387404

Also, after different thread recommendation, bought this morning sauces, including brussel sprout ketchup, from the Sauce Shop as little gifts - 10% off if join newsletter, free delivery over £40. Has things like chicken wing set or burger set. Great extra little gifts for husband and other relatives!

Advertisement

PhilCornwall1 Sun 08-Nov-20 10:58:54

I'm having a new TV cabinet! Sounds right boring, but there really isn't anything I want to be honest.

I'm fed up with constantly dusting the smoked glass one we have. Mrs PC thought I was bonkers, but when I showed her the one I want, she up for it. Sounds weird, but I'll get a lot of pleasure looking at it.

Christmas solved! grin

Howmanysleepsnow Sun 08-Nov-20 11:01:39

I also highly recommend the Rick Stein box

catnoir1 Sun 08-Nov-20 11:11:06

My husbands getting a PS5, it was the only thing I could think of. Managed to get one on pre order.

Srictlybakeoff Sun 08-Nov-20 13:33:52

www.beerwulf.com/en-gb/craft-beer-christmas-gift
My dh got a sub for his birthday from beer wild. Not sure this is the exact link but you get them on this website. You buy kegs of beer and it cools them down. Apparently it’s then like getting a “ real” pint from a pub. Perfect for lockdown

ihatethecold Sun 08-Nov-20 13:53:07

any ideas for a runner. my dh loves his Garmin watch that I got him for his birthday

RedToothBrush Sun 08-Nov-20 15:22:36

angusandoink.com/

Chilli Sauces and Barbeque rubs and stuff to cure you own meat.

They even sell tinsel. Meat tinsel

angusandoink.com/products/meat-tinsel-200g?_pos=1&_sid=c8fc067b8&_ss=r

Upsideover Mon 09-Nov-20 02:19:02

Thanks to PP who mentioned stunt kite, what a great idea.

This year I found out you can get upgrades/snazzy versions of Xbox controllers and gaming mice with extra whizzbang features so I am looking at those if that's of any use to anyone else!

Jackiejoo Mon 09-Nov-20 06:38:02

Got my DH a Bodum travel mug he doesn't really drink or smoke or do much lol but he does love to take a coffee to work in his van.
Was £10 off as well.

MrsJonesAndMe Sun 15-Nov-20 19:59:25

@Charlottle where did you get the Japanese snacks etc from? Was it a ready made hamper? FIL loves Japan!

Cloud21 Sun 15-Nov-20 20:27:33

Firepit & automatic watch winder here.

Cloud21 Sun 15-Nov-20 20:28:30

Oh....& a Scalextric!

Cloud21 Sun 15-Nov-20 20:36:20

@TreadSoftlyOnMyDreams
You mentioned the Nespresso travel mugs...do they keep the drinks hot enough for long enough? DH works nights so at this time of year would need it to keep warm in his car from 9pm until he gets to it at 5am.

I’m used to warming one up before preparing it if that helps!

Charlottle Sun 15-Nov-20 20:47:03

MrsJonesAndMe

*@Charlottle* where did you get the Japanese snacks etc from? Was it a ready made hamper? FIL loves Japan!

I got it from a company called Tokyo Treat. It is a subscription service but you can cancel after the first one so it doesn’t need to be a subscription as such. They have a new box every month with a verity of Japanese snacks in. The picture attached shows what will be in November’s box so you can get a better idea than my bad explanations grin.
I’m sure I got it on an offer from somewhere, possibly groupon or similar.
Looking on the website now though, it does say at the top that it’s the last day to get December’s box so may need to get in there quick if you decide to go for it (if it’s for Christmas)

RB68 Sun 15-Nov-20 20:51:04

Mine is getting a Jumper with a free sheep - you can track the sheep on line apparently

Kage1986 Sun 15-Nov-20 20:52:05

He must have a favorite movie. I'm asking for some of these:
displate.com/kevingen/movie-posters?art=5d024da88efc1

Charlottle Sun 15-Nov-20 20:53:15

@MrsJonesAndMe just having a quick nosy on google, there’s also a company called Japan Candy Box and also one called Japan Crate that both say they have 15 days left to get December’s box. I’ve never used either of them though so can’t vouch for it personally.

Also, I actually forgot about it until now but in our huge Sainsbury’s last week, I found a few Japanese bits (like chocolate biscuit things etc) so might be worth a look if you go to a biggish Sainsbury’s anyway.
There’s also a website called Japan Centre, who have physical shops near Leicester Square and in Westfield Stratford (much smaller), which I’ve been to and they have a great selection of Japanese things.

MrsJonesAndMe Sun 15-Nov-20 21:00:03

That's very kind of you. We do indeed have a Sainsburys so may go have a look round there and our vinters for something alcoholic to go with it.

TreadSoftlyOnMyDreams Sun 15-Nov-20 21:18:32

Cloud21

*@TreadSoftlyOnMyDreams*
You mentioned the Nespresso travel mugs...do they keep the drinks hot enough for long enough? DH works nights so at this time of year would need it to keep warm in his car from 9pm until he gets to it at 5am.

I’m used to warming one up before preparing it if that helps!

Stay warm from 9pm to 5am - definitely not. 2hrs Max for hot coffee in my experience. They are insulated but not a vacuum style flask.

Residentdove2020 Sun 15-Nov-20 21:24:18

Bit late to the party @IToldYouIWasFreaky but thanks for the Journal 29 idea! Is it something that tired overfed adults could do together after lunch, or is it long & taxing? grin

Join the discussion

To comment on this thread you need to create a Mumsnet account.

Join Mumsnet

Already have a Mumsnet account? Log in