Talk

Advanced search

Embroidery kit for an arty 16 year old

(21 Posts)
drspouse Thu 03-Sep-20 11:54:08

My DN is doing Art Higher, her DM sews as do I but I'm not really into embroidery though there are such lovely things out there and I think she'd like a kit. Not cross stitch or tapestry - something more textured, but with basic instructions as I don't think she's done anything like this before.
I think she'd like something nature-y (floral, leaves etc.).
Bit vague aren't I?

OP’s posts: |
Prinstress Thu 03-Sep-20 11:55:07

Natalie Gaynor Designs on Instagram does a great beginners kit.

Stompythedinosaur Thu 03-Sep-20 11:59:19

There are plenty of long stitch kits available on amazon, one of them might suit.

There's an excellent book called the Hand Stitched Flower Garden which id recommend.

drspouse Thu 03-Sep-20 12:04:12

That book is gorgeous! I want it myself!
And there are some lovely kits on Natalie Gaynor too.

drspouse Thu 03-Sep-20 12:06:07

I have just found this on Etsy... I may have to check with my DB if she has ever done any embroidery before or not.

www.etsy.com/uk/listing/840512061/hello-rainbow-embroidery-kit-embroidery?ga_order=most_relevant&ga_search_type=all&ga_view_type=gallery&ga_search_query=beginner+embroidery+kit+uk&ref=sr_gallery-1-2&organic_search_click=1&bes=1

ShaunaTheSheep Thu 03-Sep-20 16:50:13

How about punch needle or latch hook? Lots of texture!

Cherryrainbow Thu 03-Sep-20 20:18:18

Etsy or notonthehighstreet may be good places to browse x

Jennygentle Thu 03-Sep-20 20:27:45

My friend had just finished a full moon kit with craters and everything. It’s stunning. You can also get nebulas and suchlike.

pmac62 Thu 03-Sep-20 20:45:19

Try Hawrhorn Handmade. Theydo really nice ( but fairly easy) embroidery kits, which have animals flowers ect. They have them on John Lewis website
www.johnlewis.com/browse/sport-leisure/haberdashery/craft-crochet-sewing-kits/embroidery-kits/_/N-7agxZ1z0k47y

Divebar Thu 03-Sep-20 20:51:31

There’s a type of Japanese embroidery called Sashiko that’s pretty cool. It’s pattern led not colour. It ties in with the trend for “ visible mending” and looks great on denim. If she’s into fashion she might like to customise her clothes with it. There are kits available on Etsy and books showing the technique which I think would be useful.

drspouse Fri 04-Sep-20 05:14:03

Some lovely ideas here, thanks!

doodlejump1980 Fri 04-Sep-20 22:47:45

Check out Dianna Watters on Instagram. She has some really funky sewing kits.
Or Emily Peacock?

Marmite27 Fri 04-Sep-20 22:48:48

Peppermint Purple does modern blackwork. There’s a free weekly stitch along if it takes her fancy.

slightchill Sun 06-Sep-20 19:58:04

Not on the high street is worth a look

takeyourcanvasbag Thu 10-Sep-20 17:30:16

Jenny Blair kits on Instagram - lovely modern designs

Cherryrainbow Fri 11-Sep-20 09:17:28

There's some kind of sewing kits in the boots 3 for 2 if you browse on website, don't think they're in stock yet but worth keeping an eye out on x

Disfordarkchocolate Fri 11-Sep-20 09:21:23

I love StitcheryStudioShop on Etsy. Now I'm off to look the others up. Embroidery has been wonderful for stress relief the last few months.

VettiyaIruken Fri 11-Sep-20 09:30:20

These are a bit different, if she likes flowery stuff but not keen on cross stitch. www.etsy.com/uk/listing/821859785/jersey-flower-kit

pastandpresent Fri 11-Sep-20 09:31:28

I've got embroidery kit as a teen too. I still have everything now, decades later, including the very first book with wild flowers. It gave me such a joy over the years. Lovely present for arty person.

Lellyo Fri 11-Sep-20 10:07:56

I have just bought one for my mum from paraffle embroidery, this is my first order from her,( its a gift so she hasn’t opened it yet). The lady has plenty to chose from, so might be worth a look?

Trumpton Fri 11-Sep-20 11:18:17

I have just received 2 kits from corrinelapiere
Very reasonable and very beautiful with free P&P for what I bought .
One I’d for a 16 year old and the pear is for an adult .

Join the discussion

To comment on this thread you need to create a Mumsnet account.

Join Mumsnet

Already have a Mumsnet account? Log in