Page 5 | Thread 18 - Oh god, stop me now please

(1000 Posts)
Reastie Wed 04-Dec-19 13:03:05

Thank you @luckiestgirl for the title which came from her post which I’ve copied below

‘I twitched on the moles.
And the Clinique
And at body shop (30% off)
And at love honey (I got £20 off)
And I’ve somehow bought an 8 foot Christmas tree.
And lights
And a TV.
And a fitness tracker.
And stocking fillers for the kids.

Oh god, stop me now please‘

Just a reminder you can watch the thread by clicking on ‘watch this thread’ at the top of the first message. It’s much easier for everyone than so many place marking every time which can use up a fair chunk of each thread to scroll through thanks

Referral link here . Use this to post any links where you can refer a mner and you or both of you get an incentive. For ease and fairness please don’t post these on the main thread.

Affiliate Advertising: Mumsnet carries some affiliate marketing links, which means we earn commission on sales of some products when users click through a link from the site. Our editorial content is NOT influenced by affiliate partnerships. You may not post affiliate links without the prior permission of Mumsnet.

Here’s Barbarara’s instructions on doing clicks links:

Open double square brackets
No space
Paste link
Space
Name of link
No space
Close double square brackets

Like this
[[ www.amazingbargains.com bargain ]] but with no space after/before the brackets.
If I do it again without the extra spaces only the word bargain will appear in blue

For more links etc see message 2

If any link doesn’t work or you want to add something please let me know in bold or @ me thanks

OP’s posts: |
EnglishRose1320 Wed 04-Dec-19 19:17:03

I've very nearly finished my shopping for my children, just need their main presents, know what they want, just holding out for deals.

My OH however I have no ideas for. He is very tricky to buy for. Main present wise some air pod things will do the job but he doesn't like anything cheap! I need presents from the children for him and for his stocking and I have no ideas!

tabbycat985 Wed 04-Dec-19 19:29:13

Does Debenhams beauty ever have any offers or discount codes? I can only find codes for their clothing

Sixp Wed 04-Dec-19 19:35:19

Thank you everyone for the gift ideas! I just had to pop to a school concert to listen to dd play her instrument. I like the idea of the personalised poem and locket. And maybe the chill hamper, as the only thing she has asked for is slippers! You have all been wonderful!

Gustavo1 Wed 04-Dec-19 19:52:06

Thanks for tips on the gin box. Have had a peek. Didn’t realise it was such a big thing to get the surprise blush Sorry again

Bargainchunter Wed 04-Dec-19 19:52:59

*repaper bloomin autocorrect!

PoopaPoopa Wed 04-Dec-19 19:54:10

@Sixp I haven’t read all the replies to your question about gifts for dd so sorry if these have already been suggested but I‘ve got my arty dd who’s a similar age a graphics tablet so that she can create digital art. Other stuff we’ve got her over the years are things like good quality sketch pads, pens, paints and paintbrushes, watercolour pens (she loves these). A couple of years ago we got her a backlight tracing thing (technical term haha) sorry can’t think of the name but if you’re interested I’ll find out. Someone linked to it on these threads actually.
The graphics tablet we got someone kindly linked to here too. It’s a Wacom one from curry’s. I just had a look at the website and I couldn’t find the one we bought (it’s probably there but maybe gone up in price since we ordered as I paid £59.99 for it and there’s no graphics tablets there for £59.99 right now although there are others with reductions).

Advertisement

PoopaPoopa Wed 04-Dec-19 19:55:27

Sorry if it’s already been mentioned but everyone check your inboxes for matalan vouchers. I had a 20% off one that expires at midnight today.

PoopaPoopa Wed 04-Dec-19 19:58:23

Thought I ws done for the dc. Went to wrap my daughter’s Fitbit (not branded, cheaper one from Argos). Anyway, it was a kids one and just looked like it had a blue strap but when I went to wrap it I realised it had dinosaur pictures all over the strap. She’s a fashion conscious nine year old so won’t want that. Need to find a decent Fitbit or Fitbit type thing now and return this one to Argos 🙄 Anyone seen any bargains?

Confused202020 Wed 04-Dec-19 20:05:45

@Sixp does she like drawing? I'm getting my 13 year old ds a drawing tablet to use with the laptop as he really loves drawing and art.

Winterwarmer21 Wed 04-Dec-19 20:12:52

@PoopaPoopa is it Instore only codes?

Confused202020 Wed 04-Dec-19 20:13:49

Cross Post with *PoopaPoopa

Luxplus Wed 04-Dec-19 20:15:25

@wibdib ha ha yeah think we need a bit of Christmas magic to hide it. Added picture so you can get an idea...
No idea how to hide

Sixp Wed 04-Dec-19 20:18:02

poopapoopa and Confused202020 Thank you for your arty ideas. She is an art scholar at school, so she has most of the equipment she needs, but I’m interested in the drawing tablet ideas. We had been considering upgrading her iPad so she could sketch on it with the I-pen. Would the graphic tablets be better or similar? She doesn’t have a laptop and I don’t wNt to get her one until she needs it at school.

buckeejit Wed 04-Dec-19 20:22:56

@Sixp a tiny bluetooth speaker - dh has a lexon mino & its great. An electric hot water bottle - they are fab

Jessica78 Wed 04-Dec-19 20:24:21

@sixp How about some Nike iD trainers, so you can personalise them?

AllYouGoodGoodPeople Wed 04-Dec-19 20:35:02

Anyone got any ideas for good chocolates for randoms? You know those aunties that you don't know you're going to be seeing until you get there, neighbours that appear with presents etc. Usually I get Thorntons but they are only 3f2 with 10% off which doesn't seem like much of a bargain.
I did get a couple of the G&B taster boxes but they are damaged and I'm just going to have to eat them. So along those lines - any ideas?

bakingcupcakes Wed 04-Dec-19 20:37:33

@Sixp What about a big chalk board for her room with some nice chalk pens? My friend's daughter had one for her birthday and really liked it because it was like drawing on the walls!

JoHo123 Wed 04-Dec-19 20:42:40

@AllYouGoodGoodPeople Tesco’s had boxes of Dairy Milk - £6 each or two for £6 (not a typo!) I bought them last Thursday so not 100% sure it’s still running but might be worth a look. They were big boxes, not the little ones you sometimes get.

Daphine2004 Wed 04-Dec-19 20:45:01

Just realised its a generic code previously shared upthread for hotel
Chocolat.

Sixp Wed 04-Dec-19 20:45:05

Thank you everyone for even more ideas! I don think she needs a Bluetooth speaker as she just uses Alexa! She’s not interested in brands really so Nike trainers would be wasted on her 😂 she has a magnetic drawing board on her wall already. I will look in to the drawing tablet options though, promise!

MissRainbowBrite Wed 04-Dec-19 20:47:42

@JoHo123 Dairy Milk we're still on the same offer today in Tesco when I popped in.
They also had money off ITunes vouchers, think it was 15% off, not sure when the offer ends though.

Theonlyoneiknow Wed 04-Dec-19 20:49:31

Are the Matalan codes user specific? x

Andvent Wed 04-Dec-19 20:49:54

Sorry to be a grinch but is it possible to keep gift suggestions and questions off these threads? I've just gone through 5 pages and feel as though about half of them were responding to people asking for gift recommendations. There are lots of other threads active in the Christmas topic which have already given lots of extensive recommendations for kids and adults across a wide range of ages.

I'm a regular Mumsnet user (and namechanger) who used to love these threads each year but now I'm finding them difficult to read and sift through the messages to find the bargains.

Again, sorry to bring negativity to such a lovely festive thread, but it might be worth having a vote to see if anyone else feels the same? Fair enough, most people here might be happy for these threads to be more of a gift idea thread mixed with the odd bargain but really then what makes these threads stand out any more from the dozens of others in the Chrsitmas topic?

I'm happy to steer clear if everyone is happy for these threads to continue in this way, but I dont think they're the same useful threads as they used to be.

lucysmam Wed 04-Dec-19 20:57:30

Before I check out; does anyone have a free delivery code for sheepskin.co.uk I could use, please?

Mumto3thatsme Wed 04-Dec-19 21:07:14

@Sixp what about a jukebox CD player? Most also do Bluetooth etc x

This thread is not accepting new messages.