Talk

Advanced search

Mince pies, best, worst or fancy flavours?

(59 Posts)
Coldhandscoldheart Sun 01-Dec-19 08:20:35

Morning.
I’ve only had Morrisons ‘The Best’ ones so far. They aren’t. There’s too much filling to pastry which isn’t all that crisp. The filling is a bit too sweet and sour without actually tasting of much.

I’m going to try to get some more today. Any opinions?

Stupiddriver1 Sun 01-Dec-19 08:21:50

I like the waitrose choclate and cherry ones this year.

Coldhandscoldheart Sun 01-Dec-19 09:40:34

That sounds like heresy! Do they have mince in as well?
I’m at Asda this morning, so going to give some of theirs a go. Might be able to get some M&S ones for work tomorrow.

livingthegoodlife Sun 01-Dec-19 10:02:26

Had the Waitrose extra buttery ones, very nice.

Mookie81 Sun 01-Dec-19 10:03:34

Fortnum and Mason ones are to die for!

Midnight0 Sun 01-Dec-19 10:03:40

I love sainsburys puff pastry ones, feels like puff pastry makes them less overwhelmingly sweet.

pinkunicorn20 Sun 01-Dec-19 10:07:55

Asda extra special crumble topped mince pies are the best mince pies!

Chewbecca Sun 01-Dec-19 10:08:29

The ones from my local independent bakers are by far my favourite, the pastry is like shortbread and really melts in the mouth. I heat for 15secs before eating.

BeyondMyWits Sun 01-Dec-19 10:10:48

Waitrose ones - Heston from Waitrose spiced mince pies with lemon, and a crumble type topping - pastry to filling balance is perfect, sweet to sharp balance is perfect - omg they are soooooo good!

horse4course Sun 01-Dec-19 10:15:43

Homemade is best.

piefacedClique Sun 01-Dec-19 10:16:46

My Nan bought these from QVC.... I didn’t even know it still existed! But oh my god they are delicious!!!!! They are more dessert size rather than a two bite shop bought one but god they are amazing! And the man selling them was pretty easy in the eye too! 🤣🤣🤣🤣

www.qvcuk.com/Wilfreds-Pies-Set-of-8-Luxury-Brandy-Butter-Mince-Pies.product.809190.html

PechaKucha Sun 01-Dec-19 10:19:53

The Greggs ones are quite flat, which gives an excellent pastry:mincemeat ratio

AuntieMarys Sun 01-Dec-19 10:23:28

I like the tiny Sainsburys ones.

MustardScreams Sun 01-Dec-19 10:27:22

The Aldi fancy ones (F&M lookalikes) are very good.

Just had a Waitrose plum & Ginger one for breakfast, delicious!

PotteringAlong Sun 01-Dec-19 10:29:52

Greggs are the best in my opinion!

slavetothemoney Sun 01-Dec-19 10:31:17

Another vote for Greggs.
Waitrose all butter come a close second.
Wasn't impressed with m&s.

LivingDeadGirlUK Sun 01-Dec-19 10:32:33

Had some lovely mini ones from M&S with thin crisp pastry.

Dontsayyouloveme Sun 01-Dec-19 10:38:54

Aldi extra special ones here! Tempted to try the crumble topped ones this year as well!

I’ve always loved the also frangipan ones from Aldi but this year there is a lot of frangipan which is great but it’s at the expense of the mincemeat! There’s hardly any now. So I won’t be buying another box. However I may give their normal ones a try !

MinisterforCheekyFuckery Sun 01-Dec-19 10:49:59

The Sainsbury's puff pastry ones are lovely. I also had a sloe-gin flavour mince pie recently, can't remember if it was from Aldi or Lidl but it was gorgeous.

70isaLimitNotaTarget Sun 01-Dec-19 11:21:42

Dontsay I was wondering where the frangipan ones were from, I read one of the magazines ( the taste test articles) so I was sure I hadn't dreamed them fgrin

I don't mind a frangipan overload myself .

We get the Sainsbury Bakery ones ( delicious) shortcrust pastry .

Coldhandscoldheart Sun 01-Dec-19 11:57:21

Asda best range, was okay. Not deep filled, so ratios better. Still feel the mincemeat is a bit disappointing. I wonder if it used to taste better, or if I’m suffering from the mince pie in my head.

PlausibleSuit Sun 01-Dec-19 12:01:44

Fortnum & Mason's, or Greggs. Otherwise homemade.

I had one from Gail's yesterday. It was just sugar, sugar, sugar. No flavour at all. Truly horrible thing.

Ninkanink Sun 01-Dec-19 13:30:16

Aldi frangipane are very good (according to my OH - I don’t eat them myself as I don’t like dried fruits).

uncomfortablydumb53 Sun 01-Dec-19 15:14:20

Sainsbury's In store bakery
Lovely shortcrust pastry, which I prefer to puff
Just bought my first pack today actually!

NaughtyLittleElf Sun 01-Dec-19 15:26:27

Greggs are stunning, I also got some lovely ones from the Co-op I think both were something like 4 for £1.

Join the discussion

Registering is free, quick, and means you can join in the discussion, watch threads, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Get started »