Thread 17 - I’ve just ordered 2 whack a mole games. No idea who for!(1000 Posts)
Thank you @TheGriffle for the title. Lots of mole whacking will be going on over Christmas thanks to this thread!
Just a reminder you can watch the thread by clicking on ‘watch this thread’ at the top of the first message. It’s much easier for everyone than so many place marking every time which can use up a fair chunk of each thread to scroll through
Referral link here . Use this to post any links where you can refer a mner and you or both of you get an incentive. For ease and fairness please don’t post these on the main thread.
Affiliate Advertising: Mumsnet carries some affiliate marketing links, which means we earn commission on sales of some products when users click through a link from the site. Our editorial content is NOT influenced by affiliate partnerships. You may not post affiliate links without the prior permission of Mumsnet.
Here’s Barbarara’s instructions on doing clicks links:
Open double square brackets
Name of link
Close double square brackets
[[ www.amazingbargains.com bargain ]] but with no space after/before the brackets.
If I do it again without the extra spaces only the word bargain will appear in blue
For more links etc see message 2
camel camel camel is a great page for price tracking amazon
Sockeatingmonster’s top tips for using aliexpress
1. Check reviews
2. Be wary of plastic toys. There have been concerns about toxic plastics from China, and I have binned plastic figures for having very unpleasant smells. I no longer buy any 'low-end' plastic items (UPDATE: I wouldn’t buy squishiest either, for the same reason) and only ever from sellers with lots of positive reviews
3. Aliexpress refund/complaints procedure is actually way more straightforward than eBay, and stacked in the buyer's favour
4. Beware of mains operated electricals, many of which are supplied without fused plugs. Always message the seller first if in doubt, don't rely on the photos
5. I don't trust dress up clothes to be flame retardant, although I don't believe this is UK law anyway?
6. Clothes can come up very small. Quality can be variable (excellent to awful). Photos are often of similar items, so take them with a pinch of salt and check the reviews.
7. Actually, all photos on Aliexpress should be taken with a pinch of salt. Again, check reviews (where buyers often post photos of the actual item received)
8. I wouldn't trust toys to meet UK safety standards and wouldn't buy anything that could pose a risk (e.g. Paint might not be safe for children to gum, there could be sharp edges/choking hazards, etc)
9. Lego alternatives don't tend to stick together as well as genuine Lego. Minifigures are still excellent value, but the odd one might benefit from a few drops of superglue.
10. Barbie and other doll clothes can be excellent value, but check reviews for fabric quality and finish (UPDATE: Type “18 inch doll” for clothes that will fit American Girl/Our Generation/Designafriend dolls. Shoes are particularly excellent value. Wash dark clothing first as dyes can stain dolls’ limbs)
11. Stationery is generally excellent value, although paper quality can be lower than expected. Type 'kawaii' into stationery and be prepared to spend a fortune!
Also to add I’ve seen a fair few posts from fb this year from small businesses where aliexpress have posted photos of their products and photos without permission, so be wary and be warned the photo might not be exactly what you get.
Wibbletooth has a great gift idea:
Best received grandparent/great aunt etc stocking filler that I’ve done has been a personalised glasses cleaning cloth, with a photo of the grandkids on.
I did it on eBay - was much cheaper than many other places - and the quality was great. Cost them was about £2.50, there seem to be 2 or 3 on there that are about £3 now so guessing it was one of them - didn’t recognise either of the listings. At the time it was cheaper to go through the eBay page than their website. There were two sizes - seem to think it was worth the extra 30p or similar to get the slightly bigger cloth - not much of a difference but enough to make it feel a bit more substantial.
They were all in awe as had never come across photos being printed on fabric. Also meant they always had a photo of the grandkids with them at all times without needing to carry photos with them as they always had their glasses and this glasses case with them and alwaûs had a cleaning cloth in the glasses case anyway.
Think I teamed them with a mini cleaning spritz and mini glasses screwdriver to get 3 related stocking presents.
@Reastie please can we have a link to the site that finds cheap things to get you to free delivery on Amazon included in the first post you do on each thread? I can’t remember the site sorry (hope this makes sense?!)
If you are paying with a current Irish PayPal account you can get
10% off Asics withPAYPALBLACK10
15% off Beauty Features PAYPAL15
15% off A-dam with 15-paypal
33% off easons with PAYPAL33
15% off top hampers at Gifts direct PAYPAL15
50% off at The Kit with IEPAYPAL
(I haven’t used any of these and got these in two different emails so I don’t know how long they’re valid)
20% at Meadows & Byrne with BLACK19
www.supersaverdeliverytool.com/ for Amazon
I think there are others as well.
Awake early in hope to find a bargain. Disappointed that hotel chocolate only have 20% off. Was hoping to to buy some for the last person i need to buy for.
Lots of things on Amazon but nothing I really need.
@Lovemusic33 same here. Ds2 woke me up around 5 so I thought I would be able to grab some bargains but nothing good on the things I still need.
Still on the hunt for bargainous faux fur beanbags seeing as Aldi won’t deliver to NI Have found velvet and suede back ups which are in budget but I really want to hold out for a faux fur one because I know DTs would love them and they’ve had a really shitty few years so would love to just spoil them - can’t justify £90/£100 per bean bag though!
Nothing in my amazon wish list has been reduced and I’ve got loads on it! I’m very disappointed as I only have a couple presents left to buy and was hoping for them to be reduced after checking ccc and noticing they came down in price this time last year. Mind you, prices on amazon are up/down throughout the day
Cluedo down to 11.25 on Amazon (after I bought it for 15.95 grrrr)
Animalus book on Deals of the Day (the Map book has been popular on here)
Thank you for the new thread. DH has decided he wants a not at all bargainous Samsung Active 2 Watch, 44mm - everywhere seems to have reduced it by £30 but it's still £259! Anyone seen any other deals or discounts? Thanks
I’m up, it’s pay day, where’s the Black Friday bargains to be had?
Amazon have the LOL Amazing Surprise reduced to £79.99 and the LOL Winter Disco Chalet reduced time £159.99
Just mulling over whether to go for the Amazing Surprise or not
The LOL Bigger Surprise is reduced down to £59.99 too. I've picked one up. Was considering the chalet, can someone convince me this is the lowest it will go at £159.99? I notice Argos have reduced down below £200 with "great new price" written below it. Wonder if that means they weren't selling at the ridiculous RRP.
audible offering 50% off first 4 months subscription and for members there’s a sale off 300 books for £3 each
rocking horse sale
To finish off our organic hampers rush organics have 25% off with BLACKFRIDAY-25
Lisa Angel have timed sales with different offers all day.
Hope everyone has a bargainous, but not ruinous Black Friday and @Reastie thank you for the thread
Apple Watch series 3 in 38mm is now £189 on Argos for the sport band version
OMG I made thread title! I’ve been on these threads for years (frequent name changer) I’m so happy! Thank you Reastie!
Filler Checker website for Amazon
This was the one I used, for making an order up to £20.
It even found something for 3p (what I wanted was £19.99!)
But where are the whack a moles from please? (3 year old would love it!)
Lol glampervvan is down to £71.99 on Amazon.
I was kicking myself when I didn’t order it in Sunday at £80 as it has been back up to £85 all week but glad I didn’t now!
@FinnBalorsAbs the whack a moles are Amazon here There was/is voucher code on it that allows buy one get one free (says buy 2 get 1 free). I've used mine so can't see it there anymore.
This thread is not accepting new messages.
Please login first.