Talk

Advanced search

Dust off your Christmas mojo, strap yourself in. We're at the business end of the Christmas countdown 2019. Thread 8

(889 Posts)
NoWordForFluffy Wed 27-Nov-19 06:22:21

Morning!

New thread for the new day. Temperature is starting to drop again and it's going to be rather chilly for the weekend and the start of December!

Let's see if we need thread 9 or not! fgrin

flouncyfanny Wed 27-Nov-19 07:17:45

Morning!
Ooh, a shiny new thread fgrin we did rattle through the last one fblush
Damp start here, but supposed to dry up later.

Chocolateteabag Wed 27-Nov-19 07:17:58

Morning!
Train joy today - first one cancelled, second one currently 30 mins delayed
Sitting in a cold waiting room trying not to work out how much extra time I could have had in bed this morning

So sorry to hear some of you are having tricky times
Mrs Fingers crosses your mum only comes out when it's properly right
Emrys sorry to hear about your cat, DBRO still beats himself up about letting out DSIS's puppy which then chased DM's car out onto the main road... that was now over 25 years ago.
H - I do some HR as well as finance, if work are pursuing termination due to sickness then your mum should stick close to what her union advise, don't go into any meeting alone & also possibly contact ACAS too - union should know the score but just in case she gets a wally who isn't quite up to speed it would be belt and braces to check facts herself (or you could call on her behalf)

Hopefully we start getting some Christmas sparkle on over the next few days into Dec - payday on Friday!

WreckTangled Wed 27-Nov-19 07:42:21

28!!!

Em that's so sad I'm sorry

Have just put a beef casserole in the slow cooker.

HairsprayBabe Wed 27-Nov-19 09:21:37

Hopping on, hope everyone is feeling a lot better than I am envy not envy!

Thanks for all the advice Re: my DM the union bloke seems pretty switched on so that is good, don't know if she has spoke to ACAS though, I'll ask her later

WreckTangled Wed 27-Nov-19 14:07:19

The film on channel 5 right now is such a great crappy Christmas film. To the third time I've seen it grin

TheWoollybacksWife Wed 27-Nov-19 14:49:09

Checking in for the new thread. I've spent today cleaning and I'm knackered now. Everywhere has been hoovered and I've cleaned all the skirting boards and kitchen doors. It has drizzled all day and DS is playing rugby this afternoon. I may get him to strip off in front of the washing machine and cut out the laundry basket completely.

Emrys my condolences. It's hard to lose a beloved pet.

MrsMad I hope your DM continues to improve but is only discharged when she is well on the way to recovery.

flouncyfanny Wed 27-Nov-19 16:30:16

Wreck was it the one with the doctor and the prince or the one with the ginger cat and the fire fighter?
blush

WreckTangled Wed 27-Nov-19 16:36:15

The one with the cat and the fire fighter grin

flouncyfanny Wed 27-Nov-19 16:41:01

Wreck Charlie is almost identical to Ambrose, just with a white chin grin and he's asleep in the living room window so i can't close the curtains on him.

NerosFiddle Wed 27-Nov-19 17:24:26

Afternoon all.

Took dc to the dentist and did a bit of Christmas shopping. Got a few Christmas boxes and my dbro present.

I think I'm going to treat myself to some stollen tonight.

CrazyBaubles Wed 27-Nov-19 19:59:05

Checking in to the thread - thank you Fluffy

I've just eaten a delicious tea (homemade meatballs with mozzarella in the middle, pasta and homemade pasta sauce) and am now settling down to an in-Christmassy Silent Witness while I write the cards to the children in DHs class before finishing our family ones fsmile

everythingisginandroses Wed 27-Nov-19 21:59:15

New Worcester Bosch boiler fitted today fsmile Presents are wrapped, cards are written, tree ordered, activities booked, menu plan/shopping list still to finish off. 9.5 working days until 1 finish for Christmas and I am exhausted.

70isaLimitNotaTarget Wed 27-Nov-19 22:15:41

New Shiney Thread fgrin

I've looked back through for a catch up.

Mrs good to hear your DM legs are improving, hopefully with the help of the DNs and yourself at home they will continue . Is she good at taking tablets ( I know mine will stop for completely random reasons hmm ) Trying to convince someone especially with side effects and ensuring they take as prescribed - it's tough .

Hairspray Morning sickness sucks , it's meant to be your hormones protecting you , but I never wanted to eat or be attacked by lavender so why did it make me envy <not envy fgrin

MiniWreck Happy Belated Birthday cake

Em sad about your little cat , they do sometimes they run (or don't) , there's no way of knowing or trying to second guess them.

Flouncy I use my food pro to rub in the flour+fat then add the ice cold water (and maybe an egg yolk ) till it just comes together . Tip in a bowl then use a flatbladed knife to mix. Chill 30 minutes in a flat round then roll out . Minimal handling (I do have really cold hands though - to match the cold heart fgrin )

Fluffy thanks for the new thread . I reckon another before Christmas .

Hello Chocolate Woolly Nero Crazy and hope I haven't missed anyone but I can't check back, it's freezing my screen

I have another hospital appointment tomorrow (luckily nothing being inserted anywhere fblush ) but I will endeavour to treat myself to a Costa Christmas Coffee ( soya and no cream) need to check the flavours .

Then I need to sort my DD Beauty Advent for Sunday (ordered some items from Boots and QVC . I had bought some things before but I am really behind this year )

I said to DD that we might not be able to have a tree . Our two cats have turned the corner now from being shy to being "Well we've been here 6 months , which is the longest time we've stayed in one place . We can Part-ay "

DD says it's not Christmas without a tree .
I can cope with Christmas without picking up the tree and extracting little (or not so little now) cats from the tree .

I was trying to do an online food shop, female cat kept standing on my arm and gripping me with her teeth (not a Bite , a Grip ) when I moved the mouse . Even though I was ordering food for them too .....

flouncyfanny Wed 27-Nov-19 22:27:08

70 Charlie is happy to sit on my laptop. He doesn't mind whether it's open or closed hmm Get them a tree, just be careful what you put on it - nothing precious to you or dangerous to them.

Mrsmadevans Wed 27-Nov-19 22:28:09

Evening all smile
Good news, they kept Mum in today and they are going to check her infection level tomorrow with a view to keeping her in or letting her go home depending upon what it is . In herself she is fine thankfully smile
Hope to get back to normal very soon smile

NoWordForFluffy Thu 28-Nov-19 06:13:08

Morning. It's gone wet here. Again. The temperature is dropping too.

Mrs, good news re your mum, that they're making the right decision based on her infection level. It's good she's well in herself too.

70, the cats are now the boss. Don't forget that! 😂

Crazy, I need to get some cards done too. I don't do many, just for family at home.

Half day tomorrow for our Santa train trip. Can't wait!

CrazyBaubles Thu 28-Nov-19 06:13:21

🎄 27 🎄

CrazyBaubles Thu 28-Nov-19 06:22:03

Cross post Fluffy fsmile
I finished all our cards yesterday. Feel so much better now they're off my list.

70 what about a wire / twiggy tree instead? That's what we use when we go away for Christmas because I couldn't go without a tree either. *
MrsMad* So glad they're being careful with your mum and hoping she'll be on the mend and home soon.

It not raining here now but it was for most of yesterday. It's cold though.
I'm just about to start getting ready but my bed is so toasty I don't want to get back up!

WreckTangled Thu 28-Nov-19 07:17:16

Mrs that's great!

Our cat doesn't care about the tree. We always have a real one. He's older though and was 8 when we got him. He likes to lie under it though.

Fluffy how exciting! Last working day of the week for me thanks goodness!

70isaLimitNotaTarget Thu 28-Nov-19 07:31:30

We have a pre-lit fake tree , I'm going to add some more lights but no baubles .
We decorate the banisters with swags lights and baubles so I might do them first and let them get accustomed then see if they'll accept a tree .It has to go next to the TV so I don't want them re-inacting some You've Been Framed type shenanigans fgrin

There's a thread on here about North Pole Breakfasts (Special Breakfast , the OP wants to do on the 1st)
People are iling on the chastise about the plastic tat ( fhmm it's a breakfast , I do pancakes and syrup , it's not as though the DC don't eat)
The usual "Is this a Thing now"
And the Oh don't we have enough to do blah blah blah.

Seriously . Do It . Don't Do It .
But why try to sneerily tell someone they are wrong .

Mrsmadevans Thu 28-Nov-19 08:34:23

Morning everyone 😀
Off to see to Mum in a min .
Thank you all so much for your support and kindness and good wishes for Mum 😊💐
70 hope you are getting better m'dear 💐 puss cats and Christmas trees 😂 , that will be fun if mine were anything to go by 😅
Wreck you have the most beautiful cat , just so cuddly ❤️
Fluffy have a great time tomorrow, it sounds like a lovely trip 😄 well done on the organising 😊
Better shift over to see to Mum
Crazy Sterling work over the last thread ending 👋💐😊
Spk LTR fingers crossed for home 🤗

flouncyfanny Thu 28-Nov-19 09:51:38

Mrs fingers crossed that your mum continues to improve. I'm sure she'll be home for the weekend.
Our cats are 5 now, and have shown no interest in the tree for the first time. It's a bit disappointing really, as they're still big kittens really and i expected the to play with the low hanging baubles at least.
Thanks for reminding me about cards - there's only a few to post, but i did forget completely a couple of years ago blush and they weren't posted until christmas eve. oops.

NoWordForFluffy Thu 28-Nov-19 13:24:22

Mrs, I hope your mum is OK today.

Wreck, Wilko pick'n'mix is half price again!

BiddyPop Thu 28-Nov-19 14:22:43

Lovely shiny new thread!

Hi all, will catch up later when I am back horizontal on the couch - on way into GP and hopefully will come out clutching both a script for anti-b’s for my chest and a sick note for a week (I spent yesterday just binging on Greys Anatomy as I could sleep and it would keep playing next episodes....). Boss is good though and says not to rush.

Join the discussion

Registering is free, quick, and means you can join in the discussion, watch threads, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Get started »