Talk

Advanced search

Tasmanian devil (toddler) and Xmas decorations

(6 Posts)
Adogwithabone Thu 17-Oct-19 07:52:07

Taz of Tasmania DS (18 months) is a complete whirlwind. Climbs anything he can, touches, destroys explores everything, especially new things in his environment.

A Christmas tree is going to be a no go this year as it will just be a hazard. I love decorating the house for Xmas but I'm struggling to think of toddler proof and safe ways to do so!

TheScruffyDog Thu 17-Oct-19 11:30:07

I've seen it here to put the Christmas tree inside a play pen and that might save it.

DS was similarly inclined towards destruction so I put the Christmas tree on the sideboard and removed anything that could conceivably be climbed on/moved to get to it grin we didn't have the usual decorations on the fireplace or the mantle etc.

Barbarara Thu 17-Oct-19 17:05:13

Command hooks won’t damage walls and ceilings and you could have paper/foil ceiling chains, lights above windows, greenery above pictures/windows, wreath on the wall or mantelpiece.
Hobbycraft do a felt Christmas tree for toddlers.

OkayGo Thu 17-Oct-19 17:15:07

I did plastic baubles at the bottom of the tree so nothing breakable. I encouraged her not to touch them but accepted that she would - she actually enjoyed taking them off and then putting them back on which was quite sweet. Big heavy tree holder so it wouldn't move or fall over.

DreamingofSunshine Thu 17-Oct-19 21:38:49

DS was 18m last Christmas, and I did a tree on a folding table out of his reach, with no glass baubles on it. DSIL kicked up a fuss that we couldn't open presents sat around the tree but since we had 3 DC under the age of 2 I ignored her daft suggestion.

Paper chains and fabric Christmas bunting are toddler proof.

If it's any consolation, I'm pretty hopeful I can have a tree in a more normal place this year smile

Chottie Fri 18-Oct-19 08:03:39

My friend put her Christmas tree in a playpen which worked well.

Join the discussion

Registering is free, quick, and means you can join in the discussion, watch threads, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Get started »