Talk

Advanced search

John Lewis Christmas department - is it me?

(173 Posts)
Gingernaut Sat 05-Oct-19 22:20:17

Have they gone for the outright bonkers?

The decorations are themed by colour.

Green/peacock, pale pink, white, red and russet.

Each set of beautifully made glass baubles contain odd additions.

Green for example has avocados, asparagus, onions, wellington boots, greenhouses, Santa as a gardener and a floret of broccoli.

Red has a roast turkey and all the trimmings, a turkey staring straight at you with a full fan tail, a cook book, bacon and eggs in a frying pan, a chocolate Yule log and a pork pie, complete with red berry.

Russet has a caravan and a variety of toadstools.

Tinsel, decorative objects and tree skirts all coordinate.

Who's going to buy all this?

Who's buying a gigantic bauble filled with feathers (white)?

Who's buying a garland consisting of folksy pom-poms and bells?

sunshinestanley Sat 05-Oct-19 23:15:13

Er me? I have a narwhal on my tree. And a frog wearing a crown. And some camels, an elephant and a pile of books. Oh, and toadstools. No two baubles are the same. I love it!

UrsulaPandress Sat 05-Oct-19 23:17:28

My main tree decs are fruit. With additions from holidays. I go to Africa a lot so there’s all sorts.

Gingernaut Sat 05-Oct-19 23:35:01

Just me then.hmm

SilverChime Sat 05-Oct-19 23:37:20

I bought the greenhouse. I like gardening 🤷‍♀️

Whoops75 Sat 05-Oct-19 23:39:47

No overly Christmas or matching baubles on my tree.

Love something different

Powerplant Sat 05-Oct-19 23:42:08

Christmas in October?

HalfManHalfLabrador Sat 05-Oct-19 23:44:06

They sound like just the type of baubles I’d like- something a bit different and interesting. There are always plenty of the generic ones available in nearly every shop

notso Sat 05-Oct-19 23:44:56

It's the Christmas topic Powerplant clue is in the name!

BillyAndTheSillies Sat 05-Oct-19 23:45:14

Glad the pompom and bell garland is back this year, two lengths of it last year wasn't enough for my banisters.

EskewedBeef Sat 05-Oct-19 23:46:37

My son would like a pork pie bauble. I like the sound of the aggressive turkey one.

Powerplant Sat 05-Oct-19 23:49:03

It’s still October despite the topic

NoWordForFluffy Sat 05-Oct-19 23:52:21

But it's the Christmas topic where we talk about it all year. Hence your confused and hmm being misplaced, @powerplant.

We have the sweetcorn and owl. The other year the kids chose the tiger and a toadstool! They're all good fun. 🎅🏻

Gingernaut Sun 06-Oct-19 00:21:27

I've landed in a strange, strange world...

Iggity Sun 06-Oct-19 00:36:57

I saw the pink tree this evening; was lovely. I don’t really care what was on it.

Tobebythesea Sun 06-Oct-19 04:35:37

@Powerplant. Why are you on a Christmas thread then?! The clue is in the name!

Namechangeforthiscancershit Sun 06-Oct-19 04:39:54

Random Christmas ornaments have been in for the last few years AFAIK. The weirder the better.

I love it but I know it's not everyone's thing at all.

Namechangeforthiscancershit Sun 06-Oct-19 04:41:54

^ I like the sound of the aggressive turkey one^

Turkeys are generally aggressive little shits I believe. Love it being represented in bauble form!

Limpshade Sun 06-Oct-19 05:26:48

I am very jealous that you have access to the JL Christmas department! I saw the decorations online but I live abroad now and they won't ship here 😭

When your local options are limited to deer and snowflakes you may find avocados and greenhouses more appealing grin

Pinkywoo Sun 06-Oct-19 05:55:27

Ooh I have a gift card for John Lewis, I might need to go and investigate. My tree has loads of random decorations including a sparkly dinosaur, crocodile wearing a tutu and a surfing penguin wearing a hawaiian shirt, but I think this is the weirdest!

Canyousewcushions Sun 06-Oct-19 06:00:37

Me too! I have some glass ones which have feathers in already, would happily have that one. And love the sound of the gardening ones- need to go and have a look at those!!

Teacher22 Sun 06-Oct-19 06:05:49

I love the John Lewis Christmas decorations. I always buy something for the tree in the sale for next year. My tree colour theme is red and gold so I am luckily limited to those otherwise things would get out of hand.

I noticed that the Christmas things are out at my local JL but not so extensive so far and am hoping this is due to their Hallowe’en display taking up space and not due to their being about to go bankrupt.

Lovelydovey Sun 06-Oct-19 06:21:06

I bought a chameleon, sloth and snail in the JL Xmas department this week - love them!

QueenOfIce Sun 06-Oct-19 06:24:19

I can only imagine what their advert will be like this year given the weird bauble situation. A dinosaur hunting a turkey trying to save an avocado?

readingismycardio Sun 06-Oct-19 06:25:35

Some of their stuff is beautiful but our Christmas tree is always gold and red. I'd love to do it a different colour, but I have no place to store so much Christmas stuff (we already have a lot)

Join the discussion

Registering is free, quick, and means you can join in the discussion, watch threads, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Get started »