Talk

Advanced search

Advent Calendars for kids ... and husband!

(26 Posts)
FantaGirl Thu 29-Aug-19 13:14:29

Hey all!

Usually I just buy the normal chocolate advent calendars for my children (2 boys, now 5 & 2) and husband but this year I'd like to look at other options.

Anyone seen any great deals around on the kids ones? The Thomas minis being one of them?

Bonus points for an advent calendar suitable for husband that doesn't break the bank also!

Hit me with your ideas!

grin

sleepismysuperpower1 Thu 29-Aug-19 13:19:29

bargain max have the thomas one for £24. on a different site, there is also a toy story one which contains craft supplies (pens, notepads, stickers etc). for your husband, does he like a certain type of alcohol? last year there was quite a few 'taster' ones

Rainbowx2 Thu 29-Aug-19 13:29:40

I got my 5 year old Lego friends in the sales in January looks really good but for a girl. Previously have had Lego city for my son which was good. Playmobil do some good ones on Amazon, not sure if this is cheapest place to get them. Not sure about husband but I'd like to get mine one, he didnt have them as a child which I think is so Sad!!
I would like to get my 14 yr old son one too not just chocolate, bit too old for Lego but not old enough for alcohol type ones if anyone has any ideas?

IamChipmunk Thu 29-Aug-19 14:51:58

Snaffling pig do a pork scratchings advent calendar of your dh likes crackling!
Its was hit with my dh a couple of years ago.
He also likes the big lindt ones...

banskuwansku Thu 29-Aug-19 15:08:38

Dh got beer calendar. He enjoyed his 24 beers.

My ds probably wants Lego Star Wars calendar again. I am not sure about dd. Last year she had Lego city calendar and year before Lego friends. She may want something else.

MrsCrimbo74 Thu 29-Aug-19 16:51:28

I made my dh a scratch card advent calendar last year, that went down really well x

Bubbletrouble43 Thu 29-Aug-19 17:01:50

Placemarking as have dc with 1 december birthday, might find a nice present idea here!

NeitherNowtNorSummat01 Thu 29-Aug-19 18:25:42

I’d hold on a bit- year before last (they didn’t do it last year), ASDA reduced the Thomas minis calendar to about £10 I think. It’s definitely worth waiting

TelephoneTree Thu 29-Aug-19 20:25:12

We do the Elfie's Christmas Letters advent calendar (on another thread) which the kids love. My husband loves this too weirdly, and he's a total grinch.

Tiggles Thu 29-Aug-19 21:42:11

Check out the Haynes advent calendars for DH. I got a build your own radio one for a tenner (keep eye on amazon for price drops) but they have lots of different ones now.

TelephoneTree Fri 30-Aug-19 08:00:11

Tiggles what a brilliant idea - great for older kids too!

AnnaMariaDreams Fri 30-Aug-19 08:20:29

Quite fancy the Harry Potter Lego one for DS. It’s £25. Do we think it’s likely to stay full price this year as it’s new and will be popular?

Larlarleighlee Fri 30-Aug-19 08:25:07

SoMuchToBits Fri 30-Aug-19 08:36:13

Ds always liked the Playmobil ones.

Playmobil 123 for the younger one.

www.playmobil.co.uk/1.2.3-advent-calendar---christmas-in-the-forest-/9391.html

CherryPavlova Fri 30-Aug-19 08:39:00

We’ve reusable ones I made years ago that get filled each year. The children get given reusable cardboard box ones to take to their houses after I’ve filled them with little presents.

lotusbell Fri 30-Aug-19 15:12:15

Bought a gorgeous felt tree with 24 pockets when DS12 was about 2 and sourcing little gifts to put in each one as well as choices and sweets. It got harder as he got older so we've now passed it on to his 2 year old brother. Last year I got him the Beanies coffee advent calendar.

annoyingelf Wed 11-Sep-19 08:29:45

The national lottery actually do an advent scratch card where you scratch a box off each day.

WeBuiltCisCityOnSexistRoles Wed 11-Sep-19 08:30:50

Scratch card advent calendar is inspired!

Sweetooth92 Wed 11-Sep-19 08:48:41

My DH is 38 and still has a Lego advent calendar. I buy a set to his liking then break it down over 24 days. Takes ages but keeps him happy and gives me a little peace every evening in December.

nocutsnobuttsnococonuts Wed 11-Sep-19 11:54:05

might be too expensive but funko do an advent calendar. dd had the Harry potter one last year and loved it. we've got her the new one this year (November birthday so a present). but there's also marvel and fortnite.

I've seen a Disney socks one somewhere but can't remember where!

DelurkingAJ Wed 11-Sep-19 12:47:30

Lego advent calendars here. Just bought them in the Boots 3 for 2 sale. Not cheap but a lot cheaper as I needed three.

CassianAndor Wed 11-Sep-19 12:51:22

get an old school glittery German one where they just open a door every day. The novelty of getting through December without being given a gift every day might surprise them!

I actually find 'gift' advent calendars really revolting, but then I hate the amount of spending many do at Christmas.

Crackery Fri 13-Sep-19 07:34:59

Also got dh a beer one. From Costco. 24 beers and was great price at £36.

Whattodowithaminute Sat 14-Sep-19 07:47:26

I’m going for the naked marshmallows one I think this year

banskuwansku Sat 14-Sep-19 16:00:12

I bought myself Lindt calendar for £4 from Amazon. Ds wants Lego Star Wars and dd hatchimal calendar.

Join the discussion

Registering is free, quick, and means you can join in the discussion, watch threads, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Get started »