Talk

Advanced search

Anyone celebrating twelfth night?

(5 Posts)
pleasenotmondayagain Sat 05-Jan-19 11:27:10

I've just spent the morning with the DCs packing away Christmas while drinking hot chocolate out of my Santa mug and nibbling on a slice of Christmas cake.

This year I think I've been happier than usual to be packing things away. Family leaving and the return to school and work burst the holiday bubble, even if the fairy lights are still twinkling. Plus I got up a real momentum on the 'sorting my life' front in the autumn, and I want to get back to a less cluttered house, more normal routines, and getting things a bit more under control.

One more gasp from Christmas though - tonight, on twelfth night, we'll have a favourite meal, light lots of candles to brighten the gloom, and make plans to do nice things in the weeks ahead. Is anyone else doing anything nice today?

sprinkleofsunshine Sat 05-Jan-19 11:33:53

My decorations are coming down today also can't wait to have a big declutter and spring clean.

I wasn't planning on doing anything special but like your idea so may do something similar!

PulyaSochsup Sat 05-Jan-19 11:40:54

I don't take my decorations down until the 7th. It's Epiphany tomorrow and we always celebrate it, that way we have 3 separate events, Christmas, New Year and then Epiphany to finish. Might have to celebrate Twelfth Night too, I love Christmas. Hope everyone has a great time smile

Kissmyaxe Sat 05-Jan-19 13:02:08

OP that sounds fab and you’ve inspired me to do the same. Am slowly taking my decs down over this weekend with the main tree coming down Mon. Love the idea of lighting candles and a favourite meal. Think you have started a new tradition in this house - thank you! Hope you have a lovely evening.

pleasenotmondayagain Sat 05-Jan-19 15:34:09

Nice to have some company by candlelight - enjoy your celebrations.
Is there something special that you do pulya?

We usually make an epiphany galette / galette des rois www.bbc.com/food/recipes/marys_galette_38999 after stumbling across a recipe a few years back, and that has become our traditional twelfth night dessert. It is not exactly a health food, but it makes a change from all the dried fruit (Christmas cake, Christmas pudding, mince pies, apple and mincemeat strudel....) and has a feel of something special to it.

Join the discussion

Registering is free, quick, and means you can join in the discussion, watch threads, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Get started »