Talk

Advanced search

Do you all put actual oranges in the toe of stockings?

(37 Posts)
ElfrideSwancourt Sun 16-Dec-18 15:13:50

We've always put chocolate oranges in the stocking toes, but one of my DC is very lactose intolerant and doesn't want one this year.

I feel a bit mean just putting an orange in hers, but she doesn't like dark chocolate.

Has anyone got any good ideas for what I could put instead?

KirstyAllsoppsFatterTwin Sun 16-Dec-18 18:27:44

A satsuma, a handful of nuts in their shells and a lump of coal.

That's what I grew up with in my stocking. I've never done it with my own children though.

FaFoutis Sun 16-Dec-18 18:27:55

Satsuma. The children put them straight back in the fruit bowl.

KirstyAllsoppsFatterTwin Sun 16-Dec-18 18:28:23

Can you ever buy coal any more? confused It's all wood burners these days.

FaFoutis Sun 16-Dec-18 18:30:48

I thought only naughty children get coal.
I have a coal fire, the coal man winks at me when he delivers the coal. It's very retro.

SatsukiKusakabe Sun 16-Dec-18 18:39:48

We always put a real satsuma or the like in the bottom and they eat it straight away! Also a green apple as we usually buy red and they see it as an unusual treat. This year they are a bit older and will get a chocolate one too, like a pp said, further up.

wendz86 Sun 16-Dec-18 19:19:39

I always got a satsuma and would eat with choc for breakfast . Do the same for my girls.

ElfrideSwancourt Sun 16-Dec-18 19:47:01

Lots of inspiration thanks everyone.

I've ordered some clear baubles and I'll make her some lactose free orange truffles to fill it.

MeetOnTheSIedge Sun 16-Dec-18 19:59:36

We've never done either, I didn't even know it was a tradition till quite recently, we never had oranges in ours as children.

Elflocks Mon 17-Dec-18 22:14:37

I got some soap shaped like an orange, for my little sister's stocking, one year.

MutedUser Tue 18-Dec-18 02:29:23

I used to put fruit in stockings but it would me taking them out of the fruit bowl on Christmas Eve then me putting them straight back in the fruit bowl on Christmas Day. So instead we do chocolate orange and a shiny £1 coin

notpushyinterested Tue 18-Dec-18 04:26:26

Always a satsuma in the toe of the stocking. Chocolate coins. A comic/magazine. A puzzle. Some other small bits like groovy socks or lynx.

notpushyinterested Tue 18-Dec-18 04:27:47

Or fart putty or a clockwork toy or juggling balls or something daft.

Join the discussion

Registering is free, quick, and means you can join in the discussion, watch threads, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Get started »