Talk

Advanced search

Have you got your kids anything for Christmas that you secretly want yourself? Lighthearted.

(80 Posts)
glutten4punishment Tue 20-Nov-18 09:49:00

I confess - I got DD(5) Twisty Petz as one of her gifts for Christmas, not because she asked for them but because I think they're the cutest things ever! blush

I know she'll love them. I mean, they're pets AND bracelets, amazing!! She hasn't asked for much (2 things) so I've had to think of little gifts she might like. TPs just are a little bit more of a selfish purchase!

Anyone else?!

GiveMeAllTheGin8 Tue 20-Nov-18 09:51:11

Polly pockets 🙈

glutten4punishment Tue 20-Nov-18 09:53:49

Omg, I LOVED Polly Pockets as a kid! Back in the day when they were really tiny and you could actually fit a fair amount of them in your pocket!

They were part of my Christmas and birthday asks for quite a few years.

user187656748 Tue 20-Nov-18 09:54:12

I'm not sure their chocolate oranges will ever make it into their stockings...

glutten4punishment Tue 20-Nov-18 09:55:09

@user187656748 - I almost choked on my tea!! 😂

Toddlerteaplease Tue 20-Nov-18 10:03:23

I asked my dad who our train and mechano sets were really for! I was right they were for his benefit. We loved them too!

trixymalixy Tue 20-Nov-18 10:06:43

Harry Potter lego.

Last year I bought DD the lego carousel, but it was secretly for me!

Ggirl27 Tue 20-Nov-18 10:08:43

I've bought mine 3D pens - and I can't wait to use them grin

Weezol Tue 20-Nov-18 10:11:33

I don't have any kids, but I'm giving serious thought to buying myself a Millenium Falcon for Christmas. I've wanted one for 36 years.

Parmaviolets13 Tue 20-Nov-18 10:12:30

I bought my nephews a dinosaur lamp each from firebox. Have a look, they're so cute I want one!

glutten4punishment Tue 20-Nov-18 10:14:28

@Toddlerteaplease - mechano was amazing but sadly never entered our household.

@Ggirl27 - I've just googled 3D pens as I didn't know they existed and now I, sorry my v young kids, NEED!!

Ggirl27 Tue 20-Nov-18 10:30:41

@glutten4punishment I might have got them out of their boxes already just to make sure they work blush - they're awesome!

Bumbumtaloo Tue 20-Nov-18 10:44:36

We may or may not have bought a Nintendo Switch with MarioKart 8 to have secret battles against each other when the DD’s are in bed....

glutten4punishment Tue 20-Nov-18 12:39:56

@Weezol - go for it! What are you waiting for? Before you know it, another 36 years will go by with that little bit of you feeling incomplete because you never got one. Do it! 2018 is your year!

@Ggirl27 - well obvs. It's a MUST to make sure children's Christmas gifts are in full working order before the big day. Imagine the disappoint if they didn't!

@Bumbumtaloo - another trip down memory lane. Been about 22 years at least since I've played Mario or Sonic. Looking forward to my DCs being old enough so me and DH can do the same!

PlayingForKittens Tue 20-Nov-18 12:43:10

Lego mostly. Though I've not bought most of it. They are getting lots of the Harry potter Lego from various relatives including the great hall and the Hogwarts express and I'm so, so incredibly jealous. They had better let me play with it!

SixToEightInchesOfSnow Tue 20-Nov-18 12:44:55

Also the Harry Potter Lego.

DelurkingAJ Tue 20-Nov-18 12:54:36

Lego here too...I’m sad that DSs aren’t old enough for the Harry Potter Lego yet so I’ve had to be satisfied with buying DS1 the Xmas train.

CocoDeMoll Tue 20-Nov-18 12:56:03

I’m buying dd a grow your own crystal tree. It’s not for me at all and definetly for her.....

Funnyface1 Tue 20-Nov-18 13:11:21

I bought some magnetic tiles for building little structures and robots and stuff. Dh was very enthusiastic when he saw them and declared that he really can't wait for Christmas this year.

Dd is too small yet for Barbie and Polly pocket but in a few years I'll be buying for the two of us!

Bumbumtaloo Tue 20-Nov-18 13:19:51

@glutten4punishment Can’t wait grin

My husband loves playing with, sorry helping build, the Lego our DD’s get.

Stabbitha Tue 20-Nov-18 13:49:33

Reminds me of the time me and my Brother got a PlayStation and Spyro the Dragon for Christmas.

Got it out the box, set it up. What? Spyro it's over 50% complete!

It was my Dad, he was playing it at night while we were in bed.

Willow2017 Tue 20-Nov-18 13:54:38

Reeces pieces platter.
COD Black Ops 4 (Maybe I can sneak up to their bedroom while they are at school)
grin

Mookatron Tue 20-Nov-18 13:57:22

YES a badge maker and as I bought it from a long distance ebay seller I thought I had better try it out to check it works. It's ace. I'm desperate to make more!

Vicious2018 Tue 20-Nov-18 14:21:53

I like the Lego sets we got for dc. I am too lazy to build them though.

Vicious2018 Tue 20-Nov-18 14:31:01

Weesol my dh is going to get millenium falcon for his birthday in January. Our ds loves it too, but wouldn't get that for him because he tends to break his sets and loose pieces. Dh got Lego Apollo last year at his birthday.

PoesyCherish Tue 20-Nov-18 17:50:44

Jenga which of course DP and I will also play with when DSD is in bed/ at her Mum's grin

Leeds2 Tue 20-Nov-18 18:36:29

Does anyone have a link for the 3D pens please?

glutten4punishment Tue 20-Nov-18 18:37:38

@Stabbitha - ah but he was only helping right?! 😂

@Funnyface1 - I've googled magnetic tiles and I can totally see why your DH would be a little excited about them! Mine would!
We got sticky blocks a few years ago and I think we've played with them more than the kids!

I can't stop thinking about those 3D pens!! Mind. Blown. I might ask Santa for one for myself! 😬

Marmite27 Tue 20-Nov-18 18:38:19

My DD got a twisty pet for her birthday, we have enough now to have a necklace each. I may or may not have bought two more for Christmas so we can have a bracelet each too grin

Arrowfanatic Tue 20-Nov-18 18:38:41

Does it count if I've bought all 3 of my kids joke books because it's a gift for me in that I won't have to listen to their made up jokes that aren't funny but which as a parent you are forced to laugh at?

glutten4punishment Tue 20-Nov-18 18:38:55

They're on Amazon @Leeds2.

BigSandyBalls2015 Tue 20-Nov-18 18:40:47

I bought DDs the VW Lego camper van ... they barely got a look in shock

Also bought DH a sonos speaker which I absolutely love, he rarely uses it .... might get him another one this year smile

mumof2sarah Tue 20-Nov-18 18:42:31

My 6 year old, Disney books.

My 14 year old the Kylie jenner makeup ha ha.

Not a child but my DP chocolate which I'm sure will be 'shared' Christmas Day night lol

glutten4punishment Tue 20-Nov-18 18:44:09

@Marmite27 - eeek! I got my DD one set of each of the big ones and the mini ones. I even went to a shop to pick them as I didn't want to risk not getting a unicorn one if I bought online. Also got to choose colours!

@Arrowfanatic - I think it counts as it's still for selfish purposes. It's also genius.

With the mention of books, I've just remembered something else I got for DD (ahem, me) - a Where's Wally book bundle! I LOVE a bit of Wally searching so I do!

Equimum Tue 20-Nov-18 18:51:43

We have bought Lego Boost for my son’s birthday in December. DH can’t wait!

Chimchar Tue 20-Nov-18 18:54:22

I really want a tamagotchi. None of my kids do. sad

brownjumper Tue 20-Nov-18 19:03:55

I've got a 3d pen for my dd too! Arrived yesterday and I got loads of refills too. It's a cat shape pen....I can't wait to have a go!!

Leeds2 Tue 20-Nov-18 19:07:26

Thanks for the heads up, glutten.

rach2713 Tue 20-Nov-18 19:17:02

My daughter loves the lol surprise dolls and I get secretly excited when she gets stuck opening them so I can have a goconfused

Conseulabananahammock Tue 20-Nov-18 19:23:57

Retro nintendo gaming system grin

EightToSixer Tue 20-Nov-18 19:25:37

I'm off to find a 3d pen now too.

I got DD a stethoscope because she's applying for medicine at uni but really I'm fascinated and want one!

I've already eaten their chocolate oranges and had to buy spares, which I'll probably eat too! (& 2 lots of chocolate coins) 🤭

HighwayDragon1 Tue 20-Nov-18 19:48:07

Harry Potter Lego
Pomsie (they look so cute!)
I get excited watching DD unwrapping LOL dolls

Lovemusic33 Tue 20-Nov-18 19:51:45

Lego
Large toblerone

CantSleepClownsWillEatMe Tue 20-Nov-18 19:52:07

Admittedly I'm looking forward to helping dd with her big lego elves set and thinking about the fun I'll have playing with ALL the elves next time I have the house to myself.

I've already started reading some of the books I got her (she's 9 so blush).

DH is worse though. He's got lego and k'nex to look forward to "helping" DS with and he's just this evening ordered kites for them both. Those are totally because he wants an excuse to fly a kite! They do look pretty cool (dragons) but I saw the word HUGE in the description so I'm slightly concerned.

Deminism Tue 20-Nov-18 20:07:06

@mookatron can you pm me link if it is an ebay shop or tell me the make and model if it was an individual seller. I really want to get one but was overwhelmed by choice.

Moonflower12 Tue 20-Nov-18 20:27:19

Polly pocket micro and some paint your own Russian dolls which are woodland animals. I might have to go and buy some more - for me!

Forforkssake1 Tue 20-Nov-18 20:28:31

Pls can someone who has bought a 3D pen post the link?!

Wilhelminawonka Tue 20-Nov-18 20:33:17

Winnie the witch books for dd.
I love Winnie the witch

DailyMailFail101 Tue 20-Nov-18 20:45:25

Iv bought my son an LOL surprise pet, I really want to see what’s inside and I’m hoping for a Dalmatian! He wants a polly pocket....

Cakeandmarshmallows Tue 20-Nov-18 20:54:12

These are called humphrey gifts in our family coz you go humph wen u unwrap them knowing they have been bought coz the other person secretly or not so secretly wants to use/play with/read it etc!!! And we are all adults!! Hasten to add it's always gifts that will be liked/wanted by recipient but giver may have vested interest!! Lol!!

April2020mom Tue 20-Nov-18 21:32:57

I have ordered some jewellery for my teenager which makes me want jewellery now. DH is getting her some tickets to a concert in December as well.
I bought books for my 4 year old girl (some are interesting I cannot resist buying them myself) and my baby son is getting some more toys and clothes for Christmas.

Allgoodnamesaregone Tue 20-Nov-18 22:40:12

I've just bought 2 guinea pigs for DD10 & my bfs son....early Xmas pressies.....cos I've wanted guinea pugs again for ages, last had some 10 years ago. DD10 put a real rabbit on the bottom of her Xmas list....but I persuaded her her guinea pigs are better pets & then told her we are def getting no more animals. Their reaction when we gave them to them last week was priceless.

Ggirl27 Tue 20-Nov-18 22:40:59

www.amazon.co.uk/gp/product/B07BXW2Y7M/ref=oh_aui_search_detailpage?th=1&tag=mumsnetforum-21&ie=UTF8

Heres the link for the pen, there are lots to choose from though, and they seem to have gone up in price...

Wincarnis Wed 21-Nov-18 02:12:57

Flushin Frenzy
Lego
Selection boxes

kateandme Wed 21-Nov-18 02:42:30

little skirt with unicorn on it.
cuddly toys.
bright red shoes.
pyjamas.

jakesmommy Wed 21-Nov-18 06:57:55

The Snow White Animator doll from the Disney Store. Its for my three year old daughter. Honest.

Lunalula Wed 21-Nov-18 08:43:22

Not for Xmas, but someone few years ago asked if our kids wanted a Wii. D's has played Mario twice, the rest is myself!

ThanosSavedMe Wed 21-Nov-18 08:46:55

I can’t buy Lego for the dds anymore as they’d build it themselves and not let me join in or get bored half way through and let me finish!

RickOShay Wed 21-Nov-18 08:50:48

A magnetic hanging globe for my nephew, it’s for me and my sister really. So cool grin

YearOfYouRemember Wed 21-Nov-18 09:49:52

Ggirl27 - tell me more about the 3D pens please grin.

YearOfYouRemember Wed 21-Nov-18 10:56:53

blush. I posted before reading on. Thank you.

WhoGivesADamnForAFlakeyBandit Wed 21-Nov-18 11:21:29

I've just looked at the video for the polaroid 3D pen and they very carefully don't show it actually making anything. Perhaps it's magic?

Mookatron Wed 21-Nov-18 11:40:45

@Deminism it's this one (can you see that?). I can guarantee it makes one badge really well but beyond that... dunno!

golddustwomen Wed 21-Nov-18 11:46:36

OP I have done exactly the same with the twisty pets 😂
Also my oh has brought our ds a load of marvel toys which I now 100% are for oh.

golddustwomen Wed 21-Nov-18 11:47:48

Know*
For reference he is 1!! So definitely not old enough for the marvel toys 🙄

Howmanysleepstilchristmas Wed 21-Nov-18 12:41:46

@Mookatron any recommendations on age for the badge maker? Ds6 would love it, but will he injure himself?

Mookatron Wed 21-Nov-18 12:44:48

@Howmanysleepstilchristmas my DD is 9 and I wanted to check she'd be able to do it which is one (ahem) of the reasons I had a go. She'll be fine, but I would think 6 is a bit young to do it unsupervised. As always, depends on the kid though. I'd wait a year or two if I were you.

Howmanysleepstilchristmas Wed 21-Nov-18 12:48:01

Thanks!

Mookatron Wed 21-Nov-18 12:58:51

<makes 'you're welcome' badge for howmanysleeps>

Deminism Wed 21-Nov-18 18:17:43

Oooh thank you @mookatron. Can that really only be £5.99?

Mookatron Wed 21-Nov-18 18:24:54

No, it was about £50. Maybe you're just looking at badge refills or something?

Deminism Wed 21-Nov-18 19:19:20

Ah ok will look again

CazM2012 Wed 21-Nov-18 19:56:01

Sylvanian families, I was never allowed such frivolous things as a child, and when my mum asked what to buy DD1 I mentioned she was old enough and really wanted some so I was going to buy her the starter house. She bought the medium house plus extra accessories! I can’t wait to set it all up grin

BigGreenOlives Wed 21-Nov-18 19:58:53

I’ve bought them all miniatures of Salcombe and Sipsmith gin (adult children).

bojtogether Thu 22-Nov-18 00:27:23

Stretch Armstrong! I always told my parents I'd like one, and it never happened. I bought one for my DS this year I am dying to open it.

Serin Thu 22-Nov-18 10:35:13

Penhaligans perfume and oil paints are making me envy

glutten4punishment Thu 22-Nov-18 14:32:53

@Chimchar - we got a fake version and it was rubbish so if you do end up getting one, get a real tamagotchi. I had a red one when I was younger but I looked after it too well and got bored and had to let it die. It was one of the toys I will always remember though! It was a novelty to us then - not sure if kids these days would be wowed by one. Sigh.

@rach2713 - got a few LOLs for DD too! She has a couple but I can't remember if I watched her open either of them. I will make sure I 'help' on Christmas morning! I'm looking forward to seeing what the pets one will look like! 😂

@EightToSixer - 🤣😂, maybe you should ask a friend or DP to hide them from you?!
Chocolate coins are rank - you don't want to be eating them anyway!

@Allgoodnamesaregone - oh that so lovely (and well orchestrated, gold star ⭐️ ) I bet they're delighted! Have GPs been named? Remember - GPs are for life, not just for Christmas! 😬

@jakesmommy - oh my goodness, I love them! My DD got the frozen Anna and Elsa a couple of years ago. She was only 3 and wasn't that fussed so kept them immaculate. Then her friend came round to play not too long agoand I forgot to hide them. They were destroyed by the time her friend went home. I was a bit 😡 - their hair is impossible to fix!

@golddustwomen - marvel toys for a 1 year old! 😆 Love it! Maybe I could get away with buying a baby Groot toy for my DS(2) then...I luffs him. I so nearly opened one of the twisty Petz boxes yesterday, just to see! I stopped myself though!

glutten4punishment Thu 22-Nov-18 15:14:16

I also got DD (i.e. me) Spirograph.
I'm the worst!

glutten4punishment Fri 11-Jan-19 12:48:29

I can confirm that twisty pets (and Spirograph) were a hit! 🏆

How did the 3D pens go down?

PurpleTigerLove Wed 16-Jan-19 11:55:38

Lego

Join the discussion

Registering is free, quick, and means you can join in the discussion, watch threads, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Get started »